Author Topic: CD's excursions  (Read 11853 times)

Offline Chris Dusgate

• Website member
  • +/-
  • Airtime: 500 Hours +
  • Glider Type: Paraglider
  • Pilot Rating: Advanced Pilot
Re: CD's excursions
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2011, 20:25:57 PM »
20/10

Must be the last throw of the dice for the Xc season I reckon. Went to Merthyr, in no rush to take off as the forecast was proved right and it was light unitil 12ish. Took off shortly thereafter with Wattsy. Some nice areas of lift coming through enabled me to push out a bit but the best thermals were triggering off close to the hill. Wattsy and I  got to about a grand in the same thermal and I was able to carry on up. Prior to that Wattsy looked to be thermalling well, expect some distances next year from him. Drift was circa 15km/h ESE. I managed to connect with a line of lifty clouds and spent alot of the flight at 3-3500 feet asl circling in weak lift, clasping and unclasping my cold hands (despite using 'winter gloves'). Eventually got sucked into the white room and decided to trust my GPS and just used speed bar. eventually poped out of the side of the cloud at just over 4 grand and got to fly over another smaller cloud (NICE). Ahead Cwmbran seemed to have a blue hole over it so I glided NE to try and get round it. Was not successful and landed at New Inn just beyond Pontypool for 26k. After landing and doing the 3 minute hands-in-pain dance as they warmed up I noticed the clouds were reforming over Cwmbran and downwind of it. In hindsight I should have stuck with the ESE route. Never mind, an enjoyable flight (Kite up close at 3,000 feet). Retrieve was not great (hitching fruitless) but was saved by Wattsy who picked me up from Merthyr railway station and took me back up the hill in the dark in his stunning van- Thanks mate. Likely to be the end of a satisfying Xc season for me (best for a few years).
http://www.xcleague.com/xc/flights/20112452.html?vx=0

Offline Chris Dusgate

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 18:11:24 PM »
got lucky @ Graig Fawr

Thks to SJ for the retrieve

http://www.xcleague.com/xc/flights/20112257.html

Offline Chris Dusgate

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 20:19:34 PM »
14/7

Builth Wells with Steve P , Idris, Dave B and Piers plus Ben hot on our tails.

Excellent conditions. missed out on the early fun when the all the above except Ben pushed well upwind. Sadly SP and Piers went down 10k or so up wind. Not Idris who apparently made it back to t/o from there. Me I slope landed before taking off again and then going over the back as the wind increased as forecast. 3 thermal flight, see club league for details, for 34k. Max asl = 5,600ft, not quite CB. Twas very nice thermallng up just north of Hay being able to see one or two gliders on the Bluff. Just on from there I went down under some spreadout, just couldn't find the lift. I'm sure I've landed close to my landing spot before!! Perhaps I under estimated the sink effect of the air being downwind of the Pandy/Hay Bluff ridge as you first hit the flatlands. Idris seems to have had a better plan by staying over the highgrond from Hay Bluff down to Pandy before heading east he told me he thinks he's done at least 60k.  I was prob gulily of reading the map rather than the sky as I aimed to go between the 2 SAS no fly circles. Landed before 2pm,hhmm, never mind got to be pleased with that as I was pretty tired today. I'd say the forecasts and RASP were spot on today.

Offline Chris Dusgate

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 16:01:18 PM »
14/6

Went to Cwmafan with Idris. Gerry, Wattsy and  Stu had good height when we got there out in front of the hill. Steve J turned up as we did. Sadly the sea breeze prevented Steve and I getting any decent height as it seemed to arrive as we launched at just after 11am. Idris launched a bit earlier and that (plus being a better pilot) enabled him to get up to where the other guys were. 80 min flight thereafter for me which culminated in a dribble over the back ,in the only half convincing thermal, to Neath, max ato 1400ft (2,100 ft asl). Landed at south end of Bryn Caws Hill after attempting at around 5oo -700ft asl to work some  sea breeze thermals coming off NW Neath. Thanks to SJ for the retrieve and dealing with the authorities (apparently the police had some calls about a 'crash' by a blue aircraft !!) Idris flew onto the Black Mountain.

Offline Ben Armstrong

• Website member
  • +/-
  • Airtime: 100-500 Hours
  • Make of glider: Buzz Z4
  • Pilot Rating: Pilot
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 20:48:09 PM »
Thanks for the help Chris!

Offline Chris Dusgate

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 19:59:39 PM »
6/6
Went to Llandewi Brefi with Ben for a change. Nice conditions, views superb as ever, I MUST fly here more often! cloudbase only 3,000 ft asl and as ground over the back = 1,500 ish I resisted temptation to go XC until 3ish. Lots of good flying before that, getting to base a number of times. Eventually sucumbed and went Xc for a short but very enjoyable flight of 12k, in and out the cloud a bit. No long walk out so all's well...
Thanks Ben for the retrieve.

PS tracklog etc can be seen in club xc league.

Offline Steve Watkins

• SWWSC Chairman
  • Administrator
  • +/-
  • Make of glider: BGD Cure
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 22:32:47 PM »
<SNIP>Given the strong wind I chose to land in the Boonies on the biggest, flattest, softest bit of moorland I could find (SW take note)

Thanks Chris, noted! ;)

Offline Chris Dusgate

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 21:34:43 PM »
2 & 3 of June,

two days flying ay Heol Senni, both days 1 thermal xcs, barely 70 mins of flying time in total hmm better not make a habit of this. Shame about today, both Idris and I had good climbs (to 4,800feet asl, cloudbase) away from the hill in the breezy conditions, definite top end of my scale! thought we might be on for a flight to the Gower as the prevailing NE looked like it was keeping the sea breeze at bay, sadly second (solid looking !!) cloud dissapated as I arrived. Thanks to Rhun (and his GPS toting buddy)for the retrieve. Given the strong wind I chose to land in the Boonies on the biggest, flattest, softest bit of moorland I could find (SW take note)

Well done Nasher on yesterday's flight, life in the old dog yet! and well done the young pup, 8km into wind :D

Offline John Nash (Nasher)

• Website member
  • +/-
  • Pilot Rating: Coach
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 18:59:40 PM »
From Nasher's comment looks like we made the right choice.

Believe or not, the problem was that it was too light to soar & too cloudy for much thermic activity (it didn't blow too strong until around 16:00)

But yes Merthyr sounds like it was a better place to be!

Nasher
Remember - It's only Flying!

Offline Chris Dusgate

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 20:29:03 PM »
19  May, merthyr

RASP had a superb forecast. sadly not quite that good. The sky seemed to look too good too early, quite a low of shadow around. Wind very light until 2ish, some walk ups for the keen! However 2.15 took off for a nice flight which saw me get to 4600 ft asl on the hill with very little drift. Went Xc with 2 other gliders and got a nice  2nd climb to 5150 ft asl. Lift seemed stronger in the 'top half' of the sky (up to 6 m/s) After 2nd thermal a bit of a blue hole and I think we all went down eventually. I ridge soared near Natyglo, thought it was Blaina (but that's what happens when you rely on your reception committee of 5-6 years old for info about where you've landed), :)

A tricky day as it was not easy to read the sky imho. When high above the hill I did consider a triangle which might have been worth a go, ah well, 19k with the turnpoints, 14k straight line. Good to see so many SWWSC members there. From Nasher's comment looks like we made the right choice.

Offline Chris Dusgate

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 09:42:27 AM »
7 april, with SJ and GL

Sadly Seven Sisters off to the west which was a shame as the site looked great after the landscaping. Went to Fochrhiw where we flew. Wind quite strong and off to the N at times. Ok though. No xcs but around a grand ato for some. RASP had it about right.

Offline Chris Dusgate

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 20:24:06 PM »
Thurs 24 Mar. Club tandem at pandy. Wind light most of the day, very hazy and not very lifty, little wind down low (I checked by slope landing with my passenger!). However 3.30ish decided to have another go and managed to get 5k or  so along the ridge and back. Not much height thou' found best tactic was not to try and thermal much as my turning cicle was too wide most of the time, ridge soaring just worked Ok. The tandem seemed to do OK compared to some of the solo gliders. Passenger enjoyed not having to chew bracken again !! sounds like more height to be had closer to home.

Offline Chris Dusgate

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 21:48:03 PM »
Hi Rhun,

2 reasons,

1. i'd flown over/through the sea breeze convergence cloud after flying along it a bit and,

2. My GPS showed a condsiderable change in my ground speed, prob down from high 40s km/h to 20 odd

Offline Rhun Llwyd

• Website member
  • +/-
    • @rhunllwyd (twitter)
  • Make of glider: Gradient Nevada
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 21:44:08 PM »
Great stuff Chris. Looking at your flight from the xc league on this http://www.ywtw.de/igcsimen.html

How did you know you were moving into sea breeze?

Hwyl

Rhun

Offline Chris Dusgate

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 21:30:26 PM »
My thoughts exactly Steve, did you hear me attempt some air to air coaching, by shouting you to come with us (there's safety in numbers when it comes to finding the next thermal !). Never mind, next time.

Yes Gron Nick did a long flight one year in early March from Lletty Siac to the bridge.