Author Topic: Mike's 2011 flying  (Read 9415 times)

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
  • Airtime: 500 Hours +
  • Glider Type: Paraglider
  • Make of glider: Axis Venus SC Small
  • Pilot Rating: Advanced Pilot
Re: Mike's 2011 flying
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2011, 20:22:35 PM »
Nice one Mike
Those cliffs look awesome and what a nice launchsite!

Offline Mike Thomas

• Website member
  • +/-
  • Airtime: 100-500 Hours
  • Make of glider: Ozone Rush 3
  • Pilot Rating: Pilot
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2011, 20:54:42 PM »
I laid off the beers last night so was able to make it down to Beachy by 9:30 to find it just easing off after being too windy. My first flight was restricted to the grassy hill, getting to about 200' ATO at one point and pushing out to over the low cliffs at the front. It wasn't working out there though.
 The second flight was the best as the cliffs were now on, and I managed to get as far as the lighthouse a couple of times, and this time managed 460' ATO. There was loads of room, so it was great fun.
 Third flight was a quick pop over the cliffs again, but they weren't working as well and the tide was coming in, so I headed back to the SE hill. I decided to knock it on the head then as it was getting busier than I like.
All in all a cracking morning. Video is attached.
Mike
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 20:59:02 PM by MikeT »

Offline Mike Thomas

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 23:22:30 PM »
It's always stronger in the Ambles Valley and its often where it overdevelops first on very unstable days. It was just bloody hot on the valley floor and coupled with a 25km Westerly made for some brick wall thermals. I missed a cracking one that took a chap in out group to 3000m which he used to glide from just past the pass to Avila. It was good to replay the vid and was able to discuss it with an x test pilot at the Panera, so am happier now. It's the first major collapse I've had in my six visits here, so its not always that tough even in July.
Lots of R10 and 11's on TO as the worlds start on Sun. Most need help getting off. Fun place at the mo.

Offline Ben Armstrong

• Website member
  • +/-
  • Make of glider: Buzz Z4
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 20:57:57 PM »
Why do you think it got bad in that valley Mike? More thermic or more windy?

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 20:16:57 PM »
Wow Mike  :o    Hmmm... I do remember having some turbulent moments there......Great flying though!

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
  • Make of glider: Advance Sigma7/9
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 09:24:46 AM »
Brings back memories of a few scary moments I had there a few years back.  :o   Couldn't quite catch what you were saying after the last (biggest) collapse, LOL.

Offline Mike Thomas

• Website member
  • +/-
Piedrahita with a twist or was it two
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 23:17:04 PM »
The Piedrahita valley was nice and smooth with 1.5-2.5m/s climbs and crossed the pass with ease at 2700m. The Ambles valley beyond was rough as badgers and the attached video shows two of my three collapses. The last being most violent as it came with some freefall and a couple of riser twists.

What I learnt from the vid was to keep the bloody opposite brake on if I get an asymmetric when in a thermal. If that fails, provide violent brake input to correct a violent surge. However the last point is a little academic as I'm not sure I could have reacted quick enough.

I ended up doing 47k, but one of my group did 87k and a French chap did over 150k I heard, but my heart wasn't in it after the last collapse.

Mike

Offline Mike Thomas

• Website member
  • +/-
Easter Seven Sisters flight
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 07:11:51 AM »
This is the first little xc I did on the Easter weekend. It was interesting to have the light aircraft beneath me at the end. You can just about see where it lands.  Live and learn though, I should have stayed on the upwind side of the open cast mine as that  gave me 300'

Offline Mike Thomas

• Website member
  • +/-
Heol Senni XC video
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 17:39:37 PM »
 A video of the 1:05 minute flight is available here:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 22:00:08 PM by MikeT »

Offline Mike Thomas

• Website member
  • +/-
Sunday flight - With video
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 23:04:49 PM »
After scrabbling around at HS when the brief thermal cycles came through and then seeing a few get away, I have it one final go. I got some decent height at first, only to loose it, and decided to soar the north edge of HS whilst watching Watsy pack up. Just as I was debating joining him, a nice thermal came through which took me to 3000', and off I went down wind with some cracking views. It was pretty broken most of the way to FanG, but I stayed high and was rewarded with another climb. I saw Steve J off to the East and though Nick had probably made it to Pontardawe so bimbled over the high ground just East of Fan G. I got another climb where the forest starts to the north, and then crossed over to the West of the Brecon road, as the ground my side quickly dropped away. It didn't work work next to Craig y nos, and that ridge, so I went with it, eventually landing 14km out in a nice big field not far from the Murco garage.

Good luck with the weather tomorrow, and thanks for a great couple of days!

Mike
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 17:39:00 PM by MikeT »

Offline Mike Thomas

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 09:15:26 AM »
My video may have the landing strip on it but it's quite a wide-angle lens. As for the egg it was a privilege to have been in the running for it, but Ill have to do a lot better than 9km to get a chocolate smile.

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 07:02:00 AM »
Nice one Mike ; your in the lead in the Easter XC!   :)

That landing strip sounds to me like the Rhigos Gliding Club field.

Offline Gron Jones

• SWWSC Sites Officer
  • Website member
  • +/-
  • Glider Type: Paraglider & Hang glider
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 22:58:02 PM »
Congratulations Mike!  Great flight!
Can I please ask where exactly was that light aircraft landing strip??  I'm trying to locate as many grass strips aroud South Wales as I can!
Fly high - Fly far!  Gron.

Offline Mike Thomas

• Website member
  • +/-
Seven Sisters
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 21:00:47 PM »

Offline Mike Thomas

• Website member
  • +/-
Mike's 2011 flying
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 13:15:50 PM »
Wondered what flying is like outside the the garden of eden that is South Wales? This is a site grandly called Mount Caburn near Lewis. Not quite up to Fan G standard at only 440', but that's what you get in the South Downs. It was a SW'rly 10-15mph initially, increasing to 20mph later on.

It's not often that I turn up at just the right time, but yesterday was one of those occasions. Although light at the bottom, by the time I got to the top, nearly everyone had taken off.  It was a low base and although initially quite busy, separation improved quickly so plenty of thermalling practice was had with gains to about 300' ato. After 15 mins or so a bank of wispy cloud came in, and coupled with the increasing wind that put an end to the day. My landing at least was vertical.
There's some vid on the link attached.
Mike