Author Topic: Re: Steve Jones Flying Diary  (Read 23463 times)

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
  • Airtime: 500 Hours +
  • Glider Type: Paraglider
  • Make of glider: Advance Sigma7/9
  • Pilot Rating: Pilot
Re: Steve Jones Flying Diary
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2007, 20:19:09 PM »
  Heol Senni    6th June 07

Sat for nearly 2 hrs at TO before the wind, ever-so-slightly, dropped to around 18 mph. Spent about 30 mins in 'bumpy' air before calling it a day. A bit tired after a good XC yesterday and working a night shift last night.

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2007, 11:57:30 AM »
   Heol Senni      5th June 07

Sat at TO with Chris for an hour in the strong breeze before launching at 2pm. Watched Chris & Steve P disappear over the back. Then at about 3ish caught a thermal with Nick and Dave B. to cloudbase (5,300'); how could I fail on a good XC in this company. While over the 'sleeping giant' everyone was coring to the left and drifting towards the open cast site near Abercrave - being a right-handed person my thermalling was a bit poor here and it wasn't long before I parted their company *). Managed to pick up a thermal in the next minute or so and was back at cloudbase chuckling to myself at the 2 gliders below me over the opencast !
Went on a glide  down the Tawe Valley onto Allt Y Grug and another saving climb; headed to Felindre and was surprised to still be out of reach of the C-breeze. Spotted Steve P. high up   as I approached Gorseinon. Here I could feel the air starting to change and went on my final glide to the deck, landing on the edge of the salt-marsh at Penclawdd for a PB of 45.2 kms. The retrieves went smoothly, thanks to my mam and a local chap who helped out, and I managed to get into work a few minutes later. Analysing my vario data afterwards I found that some of the thermals had been quite strong; 5 m/s. 

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2007, 21:13:59 PM »
  Mynydd Dinas  Friday  1st June 07

Flew at Cwmafan for about 20 mins at around midday before the wind dropped off. Decided to give MD a go later in the afternoon. Got to MD at 3ish to find conditions were a bit light, with some sharp 3 m/s thermals popping through the sea air. Had 3 flights in 1hr 30 mins of airtime, longest being 40 mins, max ht 600' ato. Shared the hill for a short while with a U-turn Obsession which took off somewhere behind me. Landed at 7pm in the school playing fields below TO; in time to be picked up by the misses who had just finished work.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 07:43:16 AM by SteveJ »

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2007, 21:38:59 PM »
  Seven Sisters    Saturday  26th May 07

Weather jack predicted a good day, so I optimistically booked a day off work, mmmm... The day didn't turn out to be as good as forecast, but manage to get over an hour's flying at Seven Sisters with Chris and Jon M. Max height gains around about 700' ato. Mid-afternoon saw us sitting out a shower, but we managed to dry out during the second half of play.

Access to the site via Banwen was once again blocked by boulders; possibly due to the threat of another 'rave' party over the Bank Holiday weekend. Similar to the situation earlier this month. We managed to gain access thro' an open barrier to a location that was a 20-minute walk from TO via Aberpergwm, but on our return the barrier had been locked; bummer ! No pun intended Jon (Jon who had arrived at the locked barrier before us, had disturbed two gents enjoying each others company !)
Following a 30-minute drive thro' the forestry over to the Crynant-side of the hill, luck was on our side when a thoughtful young chap, whose dad was a forester, let us out of the plantation; thought we were in there for the night. Plenty of rabbits to eat, but where were the two gents that Jon had disturbed ?

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2007, 22:52:47 PM »
  Merthyr   Thursday    24th May 07

With an overcast sky promised to 'open up' later, boated about with Chris in the smooth air coring the odd weak thermal. After an hour or so the sun made a brief appearance; with the increase in thermic activity made it to just over a grand ato. After 2 hrs of flying noticed that my ground speed had dropped (to a negative!); time to get down. Landed in a gusting 25-30 mph wind, followed shortly afterwards by Chris. Nick and Tom hung it out for another 45mins before landing below TO. The promised sunshine arrived at about the same time as the big fan was switched on. Left the hill to the 'hangies' at about 6pm.

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2007, 17:44:46 PM »
     Mynydd Dinas       Wednesday   23rd May 07

With an uninspiring sky and cloudbase just above the hill, decided to give MD a go. Spent 50 mins. being jostled about in light orographic cloud in front of TO. Not the best of flights from MD, but one to remember for the bumpy air !!

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2007, 12:54:28 PM »
   Fan G.      Sunday   20th May 07

Arrived on top with Jon P. at about 1pm to find everyone waiting around for the breeze to pick up. A few short flights and slope landings had by all, which set the trend for the day. Then, at 3pm, after saying goodbye (had to go into work) lobbed off to fly down to the car and found some lift up to (and into !) cloudbase - 5,700'. Had intended to follow Chris who was coring the same thermal, but after 'B' lining out of cloud found myself alone. Mmm.. which way now ? Headed for Fan Llia and topped up my height before optimistically attempting to get over the Beacons. Made for the 'secret' bowl just north of the Storey Arms, only to find nil-wind conditions and was forced to land after a few beats. Due to the lack of any significant drift I found the going painfully slow; took 1 hour to fly 10.3 kms. My first XC from Fan G.

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2007, 10:17:18 AM »
  Heol Senni     (again!)  4th May 07

A similar day weather-wise to yesterday, though the air was a little more active; some thermals at 4 m/s. Managed to get to cloud base which at 3pm was only 1,000' ato. Quite a few pilots out on the hill.

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2007, 10:05:56 AM »
  Heol Senni      Thursday      3rd May 07

Got to the hill at about midday to find visibility due to the inversion down to about 3 miles. With the roar of military jets over the ranges close by it was reassuring to know that the site had been notam'd. The haze lifted later and some flying was had by all; quite a number of pilots out on the hill. Many small thermals to be had, but all seemed to petter out at about 400' ato. Some slope landings were necessary later on, but on the whole some good fun to be had having to 'work' to stay aloft. Not the best of days weather-wise, but at least we got to fly.

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2007, 14:50:58 PM »
Cwmafan     Saturday    21st April 07

An early start due to the predicted increase in wind speed PM (good call Chris). TO at 10:30hrs with the wind slightly off the hill to the SE. Enjoyed some good views of the iron-age hill fort (and a cordoned- off crime scene) not normally visible when flying in a direct southerly. Air slightly smoother than of late, plenty of thermals around, some up to 4 m/s. Wind veered around a little allowing the forestry trees to be crossed and up to the top TO. Got up to 1,200' ato, but didn't bother going XC due to the hazy sky down-wind which didn't seem conducive of an XC flight. Chris proved me wrong, and while I was getting kicked about attempting to land at the lower TO in the anticipated strong breeze, he was disappearing into the distance; picked him up an hour later near Glynneath.
A pleasant 1hr 40mins flying in my back yard; only wish I'd taken my camera aloft.
Nice to see Lance out on the hill.

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2007, 21:05:30 PM »
 Cwmafan     Friday    20th April 07

Managed a 20 min. flight over the trees and up to the top TO at 6:30 pm. Wind shut off abruptly, but managed to make it back to the car at lower TO. Wind too strong all day.

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2007, 20:51:54 PM »
  Fochriw      Thursday 19th April 07
As Chris mentioned, a disappointing outing. A day of many short flights and slope-landings due to the lack of dynamic lift. Air quite active earlier on in the afternoon; plenty of concentration required. Ironically, the best climb of the day was when I set off to fly down to the car at about 4pm; caught a lift up to 750' ato !

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 10:10:03 AM »
  Seven Sisters   Wednesday   18th April 07

Mmmm.... Does a short flight of 10 mins constitute an entry in my blog ! Got to TO with Neil and flew for a short time in some strong, cycling, thermic air before top landing after it has passed. Spent the rest of the day sunbathing in my harness waiting for conditions to settle down a little, like yesterday at Rhiw Wen. Nick arrived at about 3pm and went over the back within a few minutes of getting airborne. Neil, seeing what could be achieved by confidently coring in a strong breeze, followed. I also went south, but it was in my car heading to work.     

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007, 09:54:40 AM »
Rhiw Wen    Tuesday 17th Apr 07

Arrived at about 1pm, wind slightly NE of N and hitting the hill in cycles. Enjoyed some nice climbs up to 800'ato in a blue sky, before the wind & thermals would shut off completely. Venturing too far away from the hill meant ending up on the deck (below TO) every time. This set the trend for the afternoon until about 3pm when the wind backed NNW and became more consistent. Also on the hill: Nick, Jon P & Paul. Left at 4pm for work.

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 13:02:04 PM »
   9th April 07   Easter Monday    Fan G.

Had planned on going to Seven Sisters, but access was blocked by boulders due to a possible rave event. After a number of failed attempts to reach TO, plan D was Fan G. On arrival at the shoulder of the bowl, wind was N'ly, gusting to 26 mph ! Waited around for a while until it decreased (to about 20 !!) Gale hanging for about 30 mins before catching some nice thermals up to 1,400' ato on the main ridge. Decided to have a go at going XC in one of the thermals, only to get drilled near Penwyllt; wind still quite stiff on landing. Long walk back to the car.
Also on the hill: Mike, SteveB, Nick and Gron.
Thanks for the lift up the track, Gron.