Author Topic: Viv's Blog  (Read 4161 times)

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
  • Airtime: 100-500 Hours
  • Glider Type: Paraglider
  • Make of glider: Gin Atlas X-Alps
  • Pilot Rating: Pilot
Re: Viv's Blog
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2015, 21:22:39 PM »
Solo flights this year 44, tandem passenger 3, airtime 27 hrs 45 min in total. My resolve to leave the hill last year is a hope for the future now.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 15:40:06 PM by Viv Birchgrove »
I may as well try to catch the wind - Donovan

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2014, 14:39:41 PM »
15th Dec. Rhosili. Rain picks my helmet as I prepare to pimple launch at 1.45, I follow Stu's lead and head to Llangenith to dry air, but fail to spot he has turned at the gully and is scratching back along the top, I sink and scratch valiantly along the face, finally sinking below the halfway point at the rocks before the end of the ridge, and despairing of any height gain, turn out for a beach landing, heels up I just clear the fence and land in nil wind after only 15 mins. A shower briefly catches me. It takes an hour to pack up and walk back, despite Nick and Stu's encouragement to go again the wind dies off and I visit the church to await Stu and the windsock. A nice day to get out the house for a coastal walk, waves and birdsong, and my pulse are the only accompaniment needed to restore my smile.

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2014, 14:33:09 PM »
30th Nov. Rhigos. Wearing my new thick socks today, NickR and I arrive at 1pm and seeing several up in light wind in the bowl we launch from the lower shelf just as the wind gets going, bobbly at first near the slope but smoother further up and away, I head off to the right for a new view of the ridge, avoiding the gully which is in the lee just now and crab right round to the colliery, following the shape of the ridge along to the end then with nice height cross the valley to the top launch and get as far as the powerlines before turning back and going around again in a triangle. It's quite cold and I don't relax properly til I'm well away from the ground. I cautiously step on the speedbar and avoid the bank of cloud approaching, while Nick urges me into the wispies for a "nice bit of lift" on radio I find it too active for my timid taste, so after a good hour I land nicely and visit the tea wagon as the sun drops away leaving the bowl in shade. A busy day but plenty of sky for all to play in. Debrief by the fire in the Rock and Fountain on the way home.

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2014, 18:32:19 PM »
22nd November. Rhosili. Thanks to SB's shout on Telegram I rush through work and on the pimple see Nick and Rhun up as well, a joy to behold. A couple of fluffups and launch into a dying wind, scratch along below ridge height to the campsite and make it halfway back before cutting across to the dunes for a low float and beach landing. A good chance to try the new track which I find easier than the giant steps which were washed away last year. A lovely day for a walk on the beach, and buy a calendar from the bistro with lovely views of the Gower. Bargain! Roll on next year. 15 mins.

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2014, 12:04:30 PM »
21st September. Heol Senni. First on the hill with NickR, we launch promptly and enjoy a cautious boat about, mostly scratching up the front practice at first, then nice height at the quarry for a good 30 mins, slope land near the top for lunch and push off again into a busy sky, the windsock has gone right round so it's different, now we gain height over the left shoulder, I never quite get high enough to leave the hill, several do, out over the valley I have a tuck which resolves itself as I turn, what really unnerves me is a brown glider which passes too close for comfort twice, the sky goes all blue for a while and I take a long glide into the landing field for a cuppa, thinking to start out on retrieve, and drive off without the glider which I packed before tea. Eventually I collect the glider, windsock and Nick from Aberafon, and am amply rewarded.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 12:39:57 PM by Viv »

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2014, 12:37:25 PM »
31st August. Rhosili. An early start with Nick, pimple launch before it gets too strong, and a lovely boat about staying in front of the ridge and getting nice height at the campsite, land behind t.o. for a warm up, cuppa and chat with some of my favourite people, then go again until it feels chilly, spend ages trying to get down using various approaches, and finally get dumped in the gorse, aiming for the track to the trigpoint, wing flops over the track and onto a bush but no apparent damage. Parawait til everyone goes and head for the car when the sun goes in. 3 hrs. 2 flights.

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2014, 06:35:01 AM »
7th August. Fan G. Meet in the layby late morning and set up by the cairn, then nip back to the car for forgotten phone, in case of XC. A lovely day for a walk on the moor, carrying nothing, fresher than recent days. Launch nicely in a lull after minimal groundhandling, cloudbase has risen somewhat, into some booming thermals at 2.8m/s, pushing out as far as the road and lake to 3686 amsl with only a small tip tuck before it smooths off and we return to the hill. Late lunch and go again, the boys get away and I eventually land and head for the pub. 1hr 26 mins. One of my best days here.

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2014, 22:13:16 PM »
28th July. Rhigos. Launch in late afternoon, after a cup of free-for-pilots tea at the van, the slope is in shade as the sun has passed it's meridian, a 20 min boat about in thermic air, nice height to cross the phone lines and edge along to the nearside of the lake, then back and fore several times before I miss my photo opportunity and get dumped in a lull on the designated area, thanks to Nick for lift and retrieve, we join up with Stu and Barri for a nice meal at the Angel on the way home.

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2014, 13:20:25 PM »
20th July. Rhosili.  After waiting for the morning mist to clear, pimple launch by 1pm into an increasingly blue sky, a few passes along the front, the raised beach is having a mow so moist thermals are kicking off there, I keep out front to avoid the orographic clouds forming as the breeze goes over the back, over the beach and sea, round the cliffs and past the campsite today with good height at times, the wind picks up and some beachland, I try and try to pimple land, then as I head for the trigpoint am rotored over the back into the field behind, nice and flat for a mini drag which pops the pins out of the front-mounted reserve. I pack up as a shower blows past the campsite, and walk down to find everyone but the hangies have landed. Parawait for a tandem 'til after 6 before calling it a day. Thanks to Nick for expertly sticking the pins back in. 2 hrs.

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2014, 23:41:30 PM »
5th July. A most pleasant afternoon at uncrowded Rhosili. 1 hr 15mins with Nick on tandem, initially light wind at 3pm, with 4 hangies and JonM, Phil and Nicola, we boat about with a running commentary from the pilot, turning in lift and getting a waft of backwash from the close passing hangies, it's like driving a bus, my first sight of the burial mounds at the far end, and the new track up from the beach, he doesn't want to get sand in the new wing so we don't land there, the wind strengthens and we make several passes to land on the pimple, watching RobertO groundhandling until he gets dumped over the wall, all good fun followed by a tasty pint, I burst with joy.

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2014, 17:44:58 PM »
1st July. Abernant.  Launch after 2pm,  1st flight from the stone along to the end and land. 2nd from the end to the middle with several beats out front, nice height but no penetration, last from the middle back to the car. Plenty of groundhandling. Eventually the sky darkens and it's too windy for me to be playing by myself, so I bump start the car and trundle home to do the ironing. 20 mins total.

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2014, 20:18:17 PM »
30th June. Bryncaws. A lift with Nick gets us in place by lunchtime, I bomb out onto the shelf first, by the time I climb back and set up again he has caught a thermal and is off out of sight. Kate and Phil also enjoy a few hours groundhandling and several flights. Second landing on front plateau, and after a 50% closure and subsequent swinging through close to the ground I pause for tea, then the wind becomes too intermittent and the sock fickle, so I stop for today and take Nick's car but not his sandwiches. 3 flights, 20 mins total.

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2014, 20:10:04 PM »
29th June. Fan G. Parawait and change launch point several times before a nice launch from the track side of the bowl, a few beats and circle in lift, a foray halfway across the bowl and a tiny bit of scratching up it, a lovely little boat about with no real height or sink, cruise off into rotor to avoid oncoming students and with a tiptuck here and a tiptuck there, land behind the track up. I move to a flatter lower place but the wind has gone round to the other side and is too strong or not at all, so call the whole thing off and go to the pub. 5 mins.

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2014, 22:27:12 PM »
23rd June. Rhosili. Light wind, slightly off to the North, I wait until 3.30 then launch when I see the boys up top go. I get as far as the trig point but the usual hotspot is not on today, and sink out after several beats into the sticky ferns again. Gareth joins me for the walk up, then I launch again in fresher wind, but cannot penetrate and am left galehanging as they all fly around me. When I start flying backwards I know it's too strong and manage a beautiful toplanding, my first at this site, and walk down to see a hangglider preparing, so have a pint while watching him enjoy the whole sky to himself. Half an hour total.

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2014, 22:15:02 PM »
22nd June. Fan G. A daylong parawait with just water, I resolve to alpine launch and move back for a bigger run, turn and see Nick cruising past in the last thermal of the day. I launch and manage just a few beats before I start the big descent, first scratching round the front and getting a tiny climb, then pushing out over the valley where the rocks are giving off a bit of heat but much, I head for the gully and layby, driving a herd of sheep along as I go, a bit of lift from the passing traffic on the road keeps me up a little longer, and land short of the gully in a herd of cows. They are colourblind so the red shirt has no effect, I mushroom up before they get curious and avoiding eye contact, move across the gully to pack up and wait for my retrieve, who has gone to Dan-y-Rogof. 20 mins.