Author Topic: Stu Flew 2014  (Read 9049 times)

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
  • Airtime: 100-500 Hours
  • Glider Type: Paraglider
  • Make of glider: Ozone Rush 4
  • Pilot Rating: Pilot
Re: Stu Flew 2014
« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2014, 21:38:34 PM »
7/10/14   Lijar West   Rush 4

Met up With Chris and Karen (Dusgate) for breakfast in the Plaza. We head up to Poniente(West TO) for about 2:30pm. It wasn't convincing at first but we timed it right for a 4pm take off and straight off in a decent thermal :) Lot's of pilots and markers in the sky.

Chris had made good ground towards the twin peaks but I was still circling a few km behind the hill with a game of patience to gain altitude. It finally paid off and I got a slow climb up to 5500Ft + and I rejoined Chris for some low level Scrappy thermal searching around El Gastor/Twin peaks.

With Chris and vultures showing the way we finally got away and jumped the next peaks to land near our flying site Ronda la Vieja. Not a flight of  distance but a challenging flight for me for nearly 2hrs of patient light wind up and down flying.

Nice to catch up with Chris and Karen who are in Andalucia for 3 weeks! Thanks for the lift Karen ;)

1 hr 45 and 22.5km with TP  Added a photo on glide to Twin peaks.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 10:31:46 AM by Stu Kelly »
"If you were born without wings,do nothing to prevent them from growing;)"

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2014, 21:29:23 PM »
06/10/14     El Bosque       Rush 4

Windy in Algo but got a late phone call and lift to Bosque. It had been strong earlier in the day but on arrival at 5:30 PM there we plenty gliders out front the ridge and a few some km's upwind. Wasted no time pushing in front of a busy launch to get airborne for a good 1hr 20 mins of cracking thermaling   practice (much needed)

Managed to push out nearly 4km from launch and get back low to the landing field only to climb out again above TO for another 20mins fly. El Bosque is a great place  to hone your thermal skills.

Landed at 7:30PM in a busy landing field with 2 mobile bars to watch gliders flying till sundown :)

Meeting Mr Dusgate tomorrow. So hopefully a good day for XC on the mountain in Algodonales??

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2014, 12:49:26 PM »
5/10/14     Lijar West. (Poniente)

A Great forecast but it didn't turn out to be. The wind picked up pretty fast. I got up and away with probably 60 pilots trying to thermal in front of launch. The head was moving to say the least. Lots more we setting up on a busy launch.

I decided to break away down to the other end of the mountain and run for the big open area 7km or so from launch. It was a good idea to pick this landing as me and another pilot came in with zero ground speed.

Got a lift back to the Bullring landing field for an afternoon of Beers to watch some interesting Landings. The wind increasing and with thermic air it can be" rough as" down there sometimes.

Club members Jon and Dee are out with us this week, and Im hoping to catch up With Chris D tomorrow for a fly aswell.

30 mins

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2014, 08:53:09 AM »
22/9/14 Matalascanas  Rush 4 

Low pressure and rain still around so another long drive to the coast. Well worth it for our low airtime CP+ group. Some getting in 3hrs plus and great views and sunshine 8)  Great start to their week to get to grips with their gliders!!

I boated about in the first  11km section of dunes flying with some Osprey type eagle at one point, After 2hrs I spotted Rob top landing at a bar that was open on cliff top a km from TO so joined him for tapas and drink to watch everyone get their hours up.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 21:44:08 PM by Stu Kelly »

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2014, 08:26:27 AM »
18/9/14 Matalascanas Rush 4 

We've had some rare moisture and rain in Algo last couple of days. A gamble for the long run to the coast payed off and our groups had the ridge to themselves. The wind was on the strong side and a bit South at first, but as the day went on it came bang on SW for hours of flying.

Some done the 20km and back ridge run. I stayed in the first 10km keeping an eye on some big clouds and rain out to sea!! But they never connected with us and it ended up a sunny afternoon 8)  3hr 10
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 08:20:32 AM by Stu Kelly »

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2014, 08:55:19 AM »
15/9/14   Lijar W

It was working well through the day with a great high CB. Some of the group flew to Olvera and beyond and I was on retrieve. Got a late afternoon 20min second flight in  watching the sun go down then heading across to the busy Bull ring field where the landing bar was waiting. 

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2014, 09:38:41 AM »
14/9/14       El Bosque WSW    Rush 4

Bit strong in Algo so off to El Bosque where it's always lighter. Managed to get another afternoon flight in. The wind was getting stronger as the day went on. Caught some nice thermals up to 2000ft ato,Looking at the sky and with a bit of South in the drift think it would have  been easy to head back to Algo and beyond but the wind would have been howling through!!

Pushed out over the town then struggled an into wind line to the landing field.
Nice afternoon's flying and Pepe's mobile landing bar is waiting for the sunset fliers to land :)  1hr 20

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2014, 15:20:16 PM »
11/9/14    El Bosque  Rush4

A Busy week in Algodonales  with 3 groups. I've been on Landing field duty so not much flying. Lot's of big TTB's to keep an eye on traffic coming in!! A nice afternoon flight off Bosque pushing out 3km or so from the hill. The air was real lifty but after 20mins I turned downwind to the landing  field and quicked it down to beat our pilots who were soaring the last light of the day.

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2014, 23:13:51 PM »
03/09/14     Ronda la Vieja       Rush 4

Very hot and windy throughout the day but planned a late afternoon flight with Rob and Russ at "Ronda of Old" Beautiful views and the wind was dying down from top end as we arrived for a great 30mins Sun set flying. The valley is much browner than it was a month ago, wheat has been cropped and drooping fields of dead sunflowers are being harvested by machine for their seeds.

Hoping to get a mid-day XC flight in before we start a busy short season on Saturday

« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 21:46:48 PM by Stu Kelly »

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2014, 23:28:42 PM »
02/09/14   El Bosque     Rush 4

Nice to be back in Andalucia with a balmy climate!! 38 degrees midday today. Managed a late afternoon flight above the Forest enjoying with a few  friends,vultures and eagles. The afternoon forecast showed thunder, but it never developed.

Although the air was very humid and hazy we enjoyed a nice boat about with a few hundred feet available ATO. My Dad's been with me for 3 days catching up on the Spanish culture and flies home tomorrow.

Hopefully some more flying before Saturday? when a busy Autumn season starts :o    50 mins and  a pint at sunset 8)

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2014, 10:51:11 AM »
23/08/14     Seven Sisters   Rush 4

A morning waiting for conditions to improve at the BCC at Merthyr with Rhun,Steve and Mike. People were flying but it was strong with Gusts and bouts of rain coming through.Our team decided to give it a miss!!

After a few hours of chatting and running for shelter on the common we decided to head West to see if we could fly somewhere else.

It looked a lot better down the Neath Valley and we decided to give SS a try. It was on the top end on launch but as the afternoon went on it mellowed out and we all flew late until the sun was setting with a clear blue sky 8)

The air was lifty and with nearly 1700ft above launch we were pushing out a km or so to the main road. Visibility was fantastic with great views over to the Black Mountain and the coastline around Swansea.

A nice end to what looked like a cold blown out day. A couple did get away from Merthyr and a glider we watched climb out  from Fochriw early on turned out to be Chris White who landed at Newport. 

35 mins flying over 2 nice late afternoon flights :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 22:30:56 PM by Stu Kelly »

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2014, 21:40:52 PM »
20/08/2014   Graig Fawr         Rush 4

Met Chris and Rhun at Park & Ride J46. On the hill it was a bit overcast and variable and we delayed taking wings out for a while. The wind strength was OK and the boys took off and managed to make the SW end of the ridge. I missed a cycle and slope landed but managed to run/Ground handle the wing round the corner and got a quick climb up!!

Got to CB (3600ft) a few km behind the hill but messed about/ slowed down around the Lliw Res area too much and ended up focusing on the big open hill above Craig Cefn Parc, where I landed :x  In hindsight I still had a fair bit of height and with a good downwind G/speed should have pushed on a glide to search. Still nice little flight at a site I've only flown thrice and first little forage over the back here :)  25mins

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 23:45:43 PM by Stu Kelly »

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2014, 11:47:56 AM »
07/08/14    Fan G    Rush 4

Met Chris and Viv at the lay-by and the sky was looking good :D  On TO it was rather strong at times. We launched when it dropped a bit and it was a little rough low down at times. Climbs a bit unpredictable but on the first flight managed to gain nearly 5000ft asl above the bowl,drifting it ran out so it was back to the ridge.

A few scratchy flights and Top landings later and time was running out. Chris was in a good climb and leaving the hill so I got in on the thermal. A bit Low leaving the hill 3000ft + I went with it only because I had a marker (Chris) still climbing a couple km downwind....and much higher!!!

The next 8km or so was a matter of not bombing out in No Mans-land (which I've done before) With no decent climbs it was a fight in light lift to mantain my height above 3000-3500ft asl.

Patience payed off for slowly drifting and I got a better climb on reaching the rocky ridge near Ystradfellte  where Chris came back upwind a few km to join me. We thermalled together for a while and it was great drifting towards Merthyr 2 gliders making easier work.

Played around in light lift around the golf course on the rocky ridge above the A470 Cefn Coed but couldn't work enough height (as Chris did) to safely jump over Merthyr and beyond.

A short walk down to the A470 with the prospect of walking and hitching in the heat, Mr Steve Watkins was the second car to pass heading home from work and kindly rounded us both up and took us back to out cars in the Crai lay-by. Many thanks Steve, owe you one ;)

Great day on the hill.  2hr30 and a nice last flight 18.4km straight line. My best Uk flight for now ;)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 13:27:15 PM by Stu Kelly »

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2014, 23:42:24 PM »
4/08/14    Nant y Moel      Rush 4

Showers and a lot of grey cloud on the journey up. Met Chris and Steve J at the gate. It's a shame the wind was strong pushing 25mph and gusty at times, because the sky looked rather good!!

The boy's pushed off after 3hrs parawaiting and with not much drop in wind strength and time pushing on an XC flight looked doubtful :x  I decided to hang around on the hope of a late boat about if the wind dropped. It did and we all took to the air later for nice Sundown flights. 45mins for me.

A bit more West in the wind so working well over the gully towards the new turbines.Gained 600ft ato at times with great visibility looking South to the Severn Estuary.Clear views of the coast out front and Pen y Fan and the sugar loaf standing out over the back!

Great to catch up with Club members Jamie and his Dad Alan, Stu O, Andy Brazier,Axis, Ginge and many more.

Flying late( 7pm) a nice bonus for a long para-wait :)

« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 23:46:04 PM by Stu Kelly »

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2014, 16:32:02 PM »
Rhossili   26/07/14      Rush 4

Light with too much South for a while. I ground handled on the pimple for quite a while and didn't like the air. Later on in the afternoon it came on more West/smooth and strong and It was beautiful flying high and far out over the sea/ beach with the sun heading down West. Plenty of height to be had.

Orographic was forming so it was down to the beach to land with Scotty and Stu O and head up for a pint in the Worms!!

Nice to catch up with everyone 8) 1 hr

28/07/14   Rhigos       Rush 4

A late call from Barry who was flying at the Rhigos and I was on my way. The wind was a bit light at times but cycles coming through enabled a couple of nice flights above the bowl, the far end working well due to a bit of East in the wind.

Took a climb a good 500ft or so and it was great to take a look at the landscape over the back. I have only flown here twice before this and can remember the last time was prob 3 yrs ago and more in the Snow.

Nice to catch up with Barry, Nick and Viv and a nice meal at The Angel, Pontneddfechan. A great pub near the start of the great Neath valley waterfall walks. 25mins
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 23:57:30 PM by Stu Kelly »