Author Topic: Stu Flew 2014  (Read 9094 times)

Offline Gron Jones

• SWWSC Sites Officer
  • Website member
  • +/-
  • Airtime: 100-500 Hours
  • Glider Type: Paraglider & Hang glider
  • Pilot Rating: Pilot
Re: Stu Flew 2014
« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2014, 21:06:17 PM »
Croeso nol i Gymru Fach, Stu!!

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
  • Glider Type: Paraglider
  • Make of glider: Ozone Rush 4
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2014, 09:52:19 AM »
15/07 to 24/07/14   Dune du Pyla    Rush4/ Little Cloud

The boys were heading North West for a course and flights were cheap to the Uk from Bordeaux so I decided to chill out on the coast in France for a week.We shared the driving up through Spain an I was amazed how quiet the roads through central Spain were.Stopping in Salamanca for an hr or so we made the Dune in 16hrs.

The hill was flyable everyday(windows) Great fun for you GH skills when strong. Got in a lots foot dragging, low flying and swimming in the sea.

The main ridge was a free for all with no Rules for what I could see,had to take quick evasive action on one occasion and therefore decided to stay away when busy!!

Plus points: Beautiful Location with Lot's to do for everyone,Swimming,fishing, walking and set up well with activities in Campsite.

Negs: Sand,Sand,SAND :? Busy ridge, Steep prices in Campsite(maybe I been in Rural Spain to long)

Catch you on a welsh hill soon.

"If you were born without wings,do nothing to prevent them from growing;)"

Offline Steve Bain

• SWWSC Treasurer
  • Website member
  • +/-
    • http://www.pisys.net
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2014, 13:27:48 PM »
Nice one Stu! Look forward to catching up when you come home.

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2014, 13:26:09 PM »
Yes it hotting up here in Algo ;) 35  :? degrees today!!

Nice Vid Mike, I will try and get out to Piedrahita next July!!!

Nearly time for me to head North West. Catch you hopefully on the green hills of Wales in August :)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 13:45:14 PM by Stu Kelly »

Offline Mike Thomas

• Website member
  • +/-
  • Make of glider: Ozone Rush 3
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2014, 09:57:17 AM »
Nice one Stu. Sounds pretty full on in the afternoons there.

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2014, 15:26:06 PM »
Thanks guys!! @Chris hope I'm not too busy driving the Bus in Oct. I will try and arrange a week off ;)  @ Gareth. I was on the outskirts of Ronda and could have easily flown over the town but that takes you towards some wild  mountains(hard retrieve )and airspace.

On light wind days most try to do a triangle or out and return. My plan was to try and fly to setenil/olvera then back to algo (dream on) but the wind had picked up a bit. Mark managed an out and return which was pretty good considering the headwind!!!!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 17:16:05 PM by Stu Kelly »

Offline Gron Jones

• SWWSC Sites Officer
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2014, 10:20:53 AM »
Congratulatons on your personal best, Stu!
As it happens, - I was born not too far from Ronda ............................ Merthyr Tydfil  :D
I bet you're looking forward to cooler Wales!  Hasn't been a bad summer here so far.

Offline Phil Thomas

• Powered Liaison
  • Website member
  • +/-
  • Make of glider: 777 Rook - Dudek Nucleon - Paramania Revo
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2014, 22:08:07 PM »
Good one Stu!
Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod

Offline Chris Dusgate

• Website member
  • +/-
  • Airtime: 500 Hours +
  • Pilot Rating: Advanced Pilot
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2014, 19:19:08 PM »
Great PB Stu, nice one. I am going to be out there for 3 weeks in October, staying in Olvera with Karen, hopefully we'll get to do some Xc together

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2014, 18:43:06 PM »
04/07/14  Lijar West   Rush 4

It's hotting up in Algo and there is only a handful of pilots flying at the moment. I manage to get a lift from Mark ( a belgian pilot who lives here).
Only 6 or 7 of us are on launch where the wind is very light with small cycles coming through now and again.

I'm last off and pick a cycle but it's hard work getting height above launch. I bimble down to the eastern edge of the mountain but am sinking well below the hill. Mark is on the lee-ward side of the mountain and In a good climb. I decide to push off the mountain to the open farmland where I've climbed out before. It works and being patient pays off and I'm on my way over the rough hillocks towards El Gastor. 

On a glide to the hill just East of El Gastor I get another good climb that  takes me passed and over the Montecorto ridge. Clouds are forming so I hot foot it onto the next ridge, the last barrier until the flats before Ronda.

I make it and glide on thinking of landing at the Pedro Benito Hotel( cold beer & Bus stop= easy afternoon) but the climb keeps going up to 6400ft +. The drift wants to take me towards the mountains but they are hostile and  airspace is beyond so I touch the edge of Ronda taking in views of the town,  Gorge and the big bull-ring 8) and head crosswind for Arriate the next town on.

The air is Getting real rough(it's July and 33 degrees) :o  and the thermals are broken and nasty and Im soon looking for an non-cropped ,non cabled field to land. It's a chore packing up in the heat and then walking a few km towards the hotel where Russ kindly came out from Algo to pick me up. Thanks!!!

A great day!! 2hrs flying and 36.6km with Tp's and a new PB for me 8)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 20:48:26 PM by Stu Kelly »

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2014, 23:40:58 PM »
26/06/14      Ronda la Vieja     Rush 4

Been a passenger a few day's this week. One of the boy's has bought a nice new Gin Fuse Tandem and I've been riding up front.

We turned up late afternoon to Ronda the wind on the brisk side but a spanish pilot on an Omega 7 is flying so we get kittted up. A short flight and a top landing in the field behind launch,very nice wing!!!

8:30pm and I get out my wing  for a nice 30 min boat up and down the ridge never gaining more than 200ft ato. The wind is dropping so hugging in close is a must. Soon it's time to to land and watch the  sunset  8)

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2014, 23:57:32 PM »
Nice 1 Phil ;)

19/06/14  Vejer WSW   Rush 4

It's too windy in Algo and cross at El Bosque so we head to a new site for me! Vejer de la Frontera is a Westerly site about 10km inland from the coast from Conil. A nice long ridge but the wind was on the strong side :o  20 mph+ at times.

I launch on the second attempt  :?  and it's easy soaring with beautiful views out-front to the coastline and behind launch the town of lejer.Beyond  this white hilltop town a green delta and rivers then the mountains inland!!

Some of the lift seems thermic and  I manage to do some circles and gain nearly 700ft ato. The wind stays strong but it's rather smooth and I land after 1hr10 at the bottom happy at 8.10pm.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 21:56:40 PM by Stu Kelly »

Offline Phil Thomas

• Powered Liaison
  • Website member
  • +/-
  • Make of glider: 777 Rook - Dudek Nucleon - Paramania Revo
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2014, 23:12:48 PM »
Who are you again...?
Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2014, 22:10:54 PM »
Looking forward to the Green Grass of home!! and hopefully some nice flying ;)  Good to catch up with everyone!

Offline Gron Jones

• SWWSC Sites Officer
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2014, 21:22:59 PM »
Well done Stu!  Sounds as if you like that Rush 4!  I'm still waiting for a chance to try out Guy's Swift - have tried a few times.  Latest failure was last Friday evening at Rhossili, when it got far to light (and was northerly) just as I was arriving for an aspirational evening flight  :( .  Frustrating, after having seen a few gliders in the air when driving past Pitton Cross.
Your posts sum up the difference between Wales and Spain.  In the former, we try to chase precious opportunities to fly ...................  in the latter - you get "bored of circling"   ;)
Have fun - and we all look forward to seeing you on your return here for August, and hearing you spinning your yarns over a pint!
Will be great to fly with you again - PM or PG or both!