Author Topic: Stu Flew 2014  (Read 7320 times)

Offline Gron Jones

• SWWSC Sites Officer
  • Website member
  • +/-
  • Airtime: 100-500 Hours
  • Glider Type: Paraglider & Hang glider
  • Pilot Rating: Pilot
Re: Stu Flew 2014
« Reply #99 on: January 05, 2015, 22:28:13 PM »
Yes, Stu - good luck in S.A. & back in Spain!
I also flew with Jan Minar in Wilderness as well - 2007.  "Map of Africa" is amazing!
I hope a gang of us from SWWSC can come out and join you in 2015!

Offline Ben Armstrong

• Website member
  • +/-
  • Glider Type: Paraglider
  • Make of glider: Buzz Z4
« Reply #98 on: January 05, 2015, 15:52:24 PM »
Enjoy SA Stu and say hello to Jan for me. Wilderness is Great ::)

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
  • Make of glider: Ozone Rush 4
« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2015, 15:06:20 PM »
Happy New year all :laugh:  Not a bad 2014. I clocked up 57 hrs 25. Hope it's going to be a great 2015. Im off to South  Africa on Friday then back to Spain in 3 weeks. Sorry I missed some of you. Have a great 2015 and fly,fly fly.
"If you were born without wings,do nothing to prevent them from growing;)"

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #96 on: December 15, 2014, 18:20:30 PM »
15/12/14    Rhossili    Rush 4

Arrived at 11 am and sat in the car park for sometime watching the showers;( It cleared for a while and there was a light breeze so decided to drive to the church car park and walk up. To my suprise Leon's wing was up. (he had been sheltering in the gorse Bushes) and had been flying earlier in the morn as well.

It was a bit light for the Octane so I took it back down and got the Rush. Nick,Viv and Nasher were heading up. Light on the pimple but with the Rush out and ready to go I scratched round low gorse kicking to get to hill end before a shower hit the hill.

I played around down this end where it was dry until the shower cleared to join the guys taking off on the main ridge for a fly.  40 mins  Light winds but a good 900ft+ above the beach at times ;)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 19:27:17 PM by Stu Kelly »

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #95 on: December 14, 2014, 19:50:25 PM »
13/12/14   Rhossili   Ozone Octane flx

A great afternoon out with quite a good turnout on the pimple:) I didn't get there till 1pm as the wind was picking up and most had landed. Conditions right on top end but great for my new ""Rhossili" wing a 22m Octane.

Enjoyed the sunshine and skies flying with Gerry, Leon, Quin/Kate(tandem) and Richard, plus Angus and Nicola flying little wings. Lots parawaiting below on the pimple but it only got stronger.

Leon was in his element on his Mentor 3 pushing  some distance out to sea.  I followed him to hill end, me sticking to the ridge with a lot of North in the wind. But Leon pushed out nearly to the end just short of Bury Holms getting very low but still managed to use the raised beach to get back to rhossili end:) Nice flying.

Soon I was joining Leon on the beach to pack away.

A great afternoon and nice to catch you all in the worms head. A quick dash home to make the swwsc Xmas dinner ;)

1 hr 30
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 22:35:56 PM by Stu Kelly »

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #94 on: December 02, 2014, 19:37:49 PM »
02/12/14   Montellano     Rush 4

A cold clear night with a blue sky in the morning tempted me to head out. My week off I managed to grab a lift to Monte with Geraldo from Ganterfly.

Arrived at 11:30 with lots of pilots arriving and soaring out front in light ridge lift and weak thermals. The day was meant to get windy,so I wasted no time in taking off for a fly.

It was a game of dodge the pilots for a while until I got a good climb and decided to head away with two pilots on hot wings. They head back to the hill. I climbed over the town and headed off away from the main roads into vast open brown farmland with into wind hills. It worked well for a few light patient climbs taking me well out the way from retrieve. :(

But Villamartin 10km or so spurred me on and I got another climb which took me off to the lake near Bornos. I ran out of height near the main Road luckily right next to a Petrol Staition/Bar. Glad to pick a big open field as the wind was licking through.

Nice flight for December 22.5km Straight, and I love flying Montellano with possibilities of getting to the coast legally someday. ( I could see the sea glistening some 60km away today). Great visibility and  on a busy hill I was the only pilot to get away  :laugh:    The wind did pick up later. 2hrs of beautiful blue sky fly 8)  Max height only 3300asl but some easy open terrain to fly over!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 13:26:52 PM by Stu Kelly »

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #93 on: November 25, 2014, 20:57:39 PM »
25/11/14   Vejer de la frontera  Rush4

Low cloud and rain in town so a journey to just inland from the coast of Conil. It was good for a short while but after 20mins of smooth soaring I spotted a squal and rain at sea encroaching and booted it down to land. Followed down by everyone else just in time to pack up before the rain :D

A treat was in store on the way back we found a Micro-brewery near the coast at Los Barrios and stopped off to try various ales and Curry/Rice and Chips :laugh: :like  Ain't had these for a long time.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 08:37:50 AM by Stu Kelly »

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #92 on: November 24, 2014, 20:28:18 PM »
24/11/14  Ronda La Vieja    Delta 2

Been flyable over the last few weeks but been busy working. Lots of various TTB's to keep an eye on landings and plenty of driving :x  Very overcast today with the threat of rain. Our small group took advantage  of the smooth ridge lift at Ronda even though the grey base was only 200ft above launch.

I had a demo on Rob's Large Delta 2 and Gin Genie Lite and have to say they were beautiful :D  maybe genie lite will be my next purchase. The Delta was great in light/ lifty conditions and I managed to easily glide to the bar at Los Villalones a few km out front. It's nice to try out different wings out here and yesterday I  had a ttb off the SE take off on a brand new Ozone Roadster 2 PPG wing. Interesting :)

30 mins
Catch you all in the Xmas do :police:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 20:34:48 PM by Stu Kelly »

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #91 on: November 06, 2014, 18:36:47 PM »
06/11/14  Ronda la Vieja    Little Cloud 20m

Another nice little flight this time on the little cloud mini-wing. Some playing around on the ridge. Perfect for the LC as conditions were a tad strong and our gliders had landed. But I managed to push out and join some birds and take a thermal out front getting a good 1000ft ato. The wing turns quick in a 360.  I got  a km out from TO and quick tailed it back to the ridge only just making it back low and luckily scratching  back up :?  for a top landing. Ronda's a great site.  30mins

Offline Mike Thomas

• Website member
  • +/-
  • Make of glider: Ozone Rush 3
« Reply #90 on: November 06, 2014, 12:20:45 PM »
Hi Stu, Thanks for the updates, but I was wondering what this "flying" activity was all about. It rings a vague bell in my brain but it's been sooooo long.... ;-) Keep clocking up the hours!

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #89 on: November 06, 2014, 09:07:49 AM »
05/11/14   Ronda la Vieja    Rush 4

A great 1hr 30 mins play on a nice thermic day with some clouds to show the way. The small ridge got rather busy with our group of 8 pilots so I pushed out into the valley and got some nice climbs kicking off the lower ridge lots of vultures in the sky showing the way.

Tried to push for the Bar a few km out at Los Villalones but with too much of a headwind I cross winded it to a small ridge where a glider was soaring extending the flight and picking up a nice thermal.

The air is getting much colder now,hands cold so down to land at a pick up point by the road a few km from take off. Some of the gliders join me landing into wind on the road.

Fantastic Guy Fawkes day flying.

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Secretary
  • Website member
  • +/-
  • Airtime: 500 Hours +
  • Make of glider: Advance Sigma 9
  • Pilot Rating: Advanced Pilot
« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2014, 19:43:32 PM »
Great stuff Stu, practice pays off!

Fly,fly,fly  8)

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2014, 09:34:24 AM »
29/10/14   Lijar SE   Rush 4

A Great day on the mountain! Wasn't expecting to fly so it was shorts and t-shirt and no Vario and GPS. Good practice. The valley out front was working very well and the headwind was not strong. I managed to find some good thermals on route to the twin peaks.

Getting a touch cold I head the 8km or so back to the mountain with the idea of landing. ( I could see the landing BAR) but with lot's of height and one of the group heading out I decided to head for the twin peaks again and then head on towards Ronda.

It worked well for a while but I hit a stronger headwind coming down the valley and landed at MonteCorto by the Petrol Station. They sell Cold Beers;)

An Interesting flight with no gloves and jacket or Vario. GPS 8)  Landing only probably 12km or so from TO but probably done 30km with TP's. 3hrs of Fantastic thermaling practice.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 21:40:20 PM by Stu Kelly »

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #86 on: October 21, 2014, 20:21:32 PM »
Been a bit busy with work these last 2 weeks and abused my blogs a bit. Bit of rain last week but we flew most days, having to travel a bit. 2 days at Conil de a Frontera. A small coastal site. El bosque for a short flight and a nice afternoon flight on the West in algo last week.

This week a lot of wind, cirrus and haze so far so no real height gains but some flying of Lijar SE was good yesterday afternoon., and today a busy day with a N E'arly wind it was Montellano, and the flying circus with probably close to 100 people on the small launch with increasing winds and plenty of action later.

Probable 40 gliders in the air with no real height gains 600-700ft ato. Nice to see Chris D (and Karen) flying today. Not and XC day though:(

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #85 on: October 09, 2014, 10:26:05 AM »
08/10/14  Lijar West  then  El Bosque.

Real Busy on launch. Possible 60-70 pilots getting ready. The day is early but I'm third in the air and manage to maintain height. Soon It's  a free for all with lot's of gliders taking off and circling in light thermals with no great height gain. I drift down the ridge for some space but find nothing for keeping me up so land in the Bullring landing. 30mins.

In the Afternoon I join the group at El Bosque but get off a bit early and bomb out and grab a lift to the bar at" Los Nogales" It's my week off after all. At 6pm I watch from my beer as some To again and get a good 2hr soaring session in!!