Author Topic: SteveJ's flying log 2014  (Read 1898 times)

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
  • Airtime: 500 Hours +
  • Glider Type: Paraglider
  • Make of glider: Advance Sigma7/9
  • Pilot Rating: Pilot
Re: SteveJ's flying log 2014
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 20:10:56 PM »
Sunday 23 Nov 14  Rhigos
A spot of winter flying. Never flown here before, so it was nice to see the wide panorama of the Beacons from a different angle.  Arrived at 1:30ish to a strong breeze blowing and Steve W landing. A short while later the wind dropped a tad and everyone TO, though it was still strong-ish Making headway was time-consuming, but we all got our 'fix' in the weak winter sunshine. Nice to catch up with some SE Wales faces as well as Rhun, SteveW and SteveB. Only 30 mins, 250' ato, but fun to be airborne again. Heated-gloves worked a treat as usual :)

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 21:32:24 PM »
22 Sep 14. Monday .   Letti Siac

After having missed the boat at HS yesterday, thought it would be blown out, decided to pull my thumb out and head for LS. With light winds Fan G would have technically been a better bet, but I always like to fly LS at some point in the autumn due to the lesser effect of the C breeze. Plus it's a walk down to take-off as opposed to a walk up at Fan.
Arrived at 1pm with only a few birds of prey for company. A number of 20 min flights due to the light conditions, with para waiting breaks in between. At 3.30ish TO into a more consistant breeze and got hoovered up in a 4 m/s core :) climbed it all the way to 3,500' amsl drifting on a southerly track in the hazy conditions; due-east looking distinctively claggy and dark :? With the wide expanse of the Afan forestry laying ahead, I then turned east tracking along the edge of the forest on the southern side of the A465/Neath Valley for a few Kms before being forced down near Rheola and landing on the concrete runway of the old Cam Gears/Rheola market site.
Only 11.6 kms, but points are points at the end of an XC season, lol.
A lift to Resolven, then a bus ride to Tonna saw me at the bottom of Penscynor Hill by 5.30ish, but just as I started the long slog up, a neighbouring farmer to Bryncaws, Simon, kindly drove me back to TO in his Range Rover; saving me gallons of sweat and cursing my aching shoulder! Not the biggest of XCs, but always enjoyable to see the world from high up.

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 22:33:16 PM »
13 Jun 2014 Seven Sisters

Arrived at TO with Chris and Lt. Dave; Phil T arriving later. First hour saw meagre climbs up to the 1,400' ato mark in some nice thermals. At around 2pm there seemed no change, but Chris showed the way with a massive climb-out  in the light wind. With more confidence of an achievable XC I followed about 30 mins later, but failed to reach the westerly-facing ridge above Tower Colliery and landed in still air on the edge of the colliery site. Ah well, not too far from a road. A lost lorry driver provided a lift to Rhigos and thanks to Dave S and Steve T, got back to the hill. Back on the hill the wind had  reached 20 mph + so no second bite of the cherry. A bit disappointed at not getting a thermal between the hill and Rhigos, not even over the massive open cast site.
Thanks to Steve T for the lift back; always appreciated :)
Only 11.8 Kms at a max alt. of 3,900' amsl, but great views of our beautiful countryside.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 11:18:09 AM by SteveJ »

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 17:06:57 PM »
17 May 14   Saturday   Nant Y Moel

Arrived at the hill and met up with 'Team SWWSC'. TO at midday after most of the gaggles had departed and enjoyed an hour B 4 being 'forced ' into going down-wind and over the back due to the increased breeze :( Landed on the windward side of the hill overlooking Ton Pentre where I met Rhun, Mike T and quite a few other competitors ! Looking over the back earlier it seemed there were 20+ wings about to bomb-out in the vast forestry between NYM and Aberdare.
Flying was tricky and not that easy to gain alt. and leave the hill. Drifted back too far after gaining 1K' ato for the third time, so made a decision to go with the flow and land outside of any lee side rotor.
Wind became too strong by 2pm.

Thanks to Dave for the lift back to TO in his monster of a van and to Rhun for organising 'Team SWWSC'.

Seems that Steve's P & W saved the day; not sure on their scores.

Offline Phil Thomas

• Powered Liaison
  • Website member
  • +/-
  • Airtime: 100-500 Hours
  • Make of glider: 777 Rook - Dudek Nucleon - Paramania Revo
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 22:25:21 PM »
Nice one Steve, I wanted to join you but every time I tried to sneak away the bloody phone rang... Work really does constrain flying opps...
Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 18:04:50 PM »
Wednesday  14 May 14       S.Sisters

Arrived just b 4 midday to a great-looking sky, but failed to connect to it :(
On the positive side, spent 2 hrs boating around in the gentle thermals up to 1,000' ato with lush green countryside all around; it must be Spring. Every 40 mins or so the wind would become too light, necessitating landing for a few mins.
Good to see the falcons are still at the site; nesting on the cliff face.

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 09:07:23 AM »
Cwmafan     Thurs    24 Apr 14

Initially went to Bryncaws with Dave and met up with Viv & Chris at TO. Wind was light and at <13:00hrs> started to show signs of C-breezing from the west. Relocated to Cwmafan where, although closer to the coast, the wind was still SSE'ly. Launched immediately in fear of the site being C-breezed, but the wind remained SSE all day. Got up to 2,500' ato in the light wind a few times, but didn't go XC as the thermal didn't seem to drift very far and the sight of decaying clouds across the Neath estuary (possible c-breeze encrouchment) weren't inspiring. That said, further inland the sky looked good (as it always does). Spent 1hr 30 mins boating about admiring the views of my home village. Chris attempted an XC, but on leaving the hill sunk out almost immediately. Full marks for trying.
The recent tree harvesting at Cwmafan has moved the tree line further up the hill and coupled with a breeze slightly off the hill made it difficult to gain lift above the tree tops; which is essential at this site in gaining access to the upper, and more SE'ly facing slope of the hill. I found this out when trying to regain height at the end of the day. Coupled with a lull in the dynamic lift, this led to bombing out below TO :(

Two words of caution re. the two sites:
The up-hill section of track at Bryncaws has been truly churned-up recently. Chris and Viv managed to get to the top in their 4X4s, but my trusty Peugeot failed dismally.

At Cwmafan there is still active logging operations on-going, with big timber-hauling lorries which use the forest gate access. Be mindful when choosing a parking spot on the track here if you want to avoid broken wing mirrors; there isn't much room when you add an LGV (HGV in old money) lorry to the equation.   

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 18:33:58 PM »
Heol Senni     Good Friday   18 Apr 14

Driving up the Neath Valley the wind turbines were stationary; so not a good sign.
Arrived on TO with Dave to find quite a few folks out, must be a Bank Holiday.
Kitted-up as the forecast suggested a  decreasing wind. Within minutes a thermal came through, so it was up, up and away; literally.
Looked around to see Viv, Rhun, Nick, Chris and Steve W all being hoovered up. The next phase was tricky and spent some time edging across the Cray Reservoir. At 3,400' amsl caught a glimpse of Nick's wings crumpling up on the ground below the Fan Hir escarpment; I'm sure I saw him jumping up and down on the spot, lol.
Seeing Chris low on the ridge (and wrongfully assuming he was to have the same fate), heading down wind on the northerly-side of the valley to Craig y Nos, where some years ago I had better luck on that particular route. Saw Steve W getting lower and lower :(
I made it to the into-wind ridge above Graig y Nos Castle and spent a long time, approx 40 mins +, hoping for a saviour of a thermal to come my way. After a few small climbs to a few 100' above the ridge and getting tired of looking down the chimney pots of the castle, gave in, and bolted to a large field lower down the valley for 13.4 Kms.
Another challenging day in light conditions. Only wish I'd gone via the Fan Hir ridge, something I'd wanted to do at some point, more so after walking that way on Wednesday.
After a cup of T at a friend's house near my landing field, she kindly drove me back to HS.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 11:28:36 AM by SteveJ »

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 21:39:54 PM »
Builth Wells   Monday   14th Apr 2014

Dave, Chris, myself and Tilly arrived at TO at 12.30ish and met up with Steve P and his friend John Walker. There were about 6 other pilots and all had differing fates. It was a typical 'working' day with only the necessity to do a few beats before being hoovered up to the heavens :) My turn came at 1ish (after initially falling out of my first climb) and left the hill at 2,000' ato. The Welsh countryside was spectacular with bare trees, and fields of green and beige dotted around everywhere; all in brilliant sunshine. Drifting slowly across the sky I topped up every few Kms  with obliging ground sources, never getting below 3,500' amsl. After about 30 mins caught up with Steve P and wondered why he was 'mooching around' just north of the A470 Brecon -Talgarth road. It became obvious that a blue gap separated the sky from the Black Mountains a few kms to the south. This was my undoing and though cautiously trying to head west along the edge of the blue zone, I entered it and paid the price at 22.9 kms near Llanfilio on the A470.
Lift at one point recorded a 6 m/s scream on my vario, but 4 m/s was the norm.
Max alt 4,700' amsl - I guess this was cloud base, but the clouds were very small and wispy.
A stunning day to see the countryside at its best.
Collected by Dave a short time after landing and back to the hill for a fly around, only by 4pm the wind was off to the east and gusty making for inconsistant  flying.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 21:43:36 PM by SteveJ »

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 08:45:23 AM »
Fan G   Friday 11 Apr 2014

Forecast was for a light NW, so went to Fan G with Dave S. Waited a while as the wind was true to forecast and didn't become flyable until around 2.30 pm(ish). In the meantime Nick and Viv arrived to enjoy the sunshine and sound of skylarks on the hill.
When the wind  did become useable, TO and boated around for 30 mins or so before climbing up to the 1,500' ato mark and decided to go with the flow so to speak.
The going seemed painfully slow crossing  Fan Nedd. In the narrow Fan Llia valley smoke seemed to indicate an ever-so-light NE breeze ?? on to Fan Fawr and 'topped up' my alt to 4,500' amsl. Cloudbase looking another 500' or so above me. At this point sailplane G-CJJB joined the thermal before heading west.
Got my camera out to photograph Pen y Fan from above, but alas lost my precious height connecting with Corn Du and was forced to ridge soar the ironically named Bwlch y gwynt (windy pass) on its western flank, only there was no wind ; the breeze had shut-off momentarily. After a few fruitless ridge runs I was forced down below ridge height with some ravens who, I'm sure, were laughing at me.
End of the game at 17.4 kms (3TPs) and an hour's XC.
Good to be back up high again after the winter break. Hopefully next week will bring some good weather. Well done to Nick, who later followed a similar track, but in true tradition continued on to Hay Bluff !
Thanks for the lift Dave :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 17:07:08 PM by SteveJ »

Offline David Stein

• Website member
  • +/-
  • Airtime: 0-50 Hours
  • Pilot Rating: Club Pilot
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 22:13:55 PM »
Hi Steve, Not so gutted now after reading your flight log , Would of come with but i was in work and my phone was in the house, Thanx for the shout, my phone will be glued to me now the weather looks like getting a bit better so i will be ready next time, just hope its soon.  :-)

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
SteveJ's flying log 2014
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 20:50:47 PM »
Mynydd Dinas  Wed  5 Mar 2014

Though cloudy made the effort to get a flight in at my local hill. Only myself and a sole buzzard on the hill at around 3pm. More about being blown around by thermals and wind than real flying, bit of a rodeo ride, hence only 30 mins of flying time before I landed to change my underwear.
Forecasts suggest more settled weather next week.