Author Topic: Nick's Airtime 2014  (Read 3803 times)

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
  • Airtime: 500 Hours +
  • Glider Type: Paraglider
  • Make of glider: Axis Venus SC Small
  • Pilot Rating: Advanced Pilot
Re: Nick's Airtime 2014
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2014, 18:52:22 PM »
Airtime 2014 - 128 hours and 45 minutes

Looking forward to 2015 :)

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2014, 08:25:09 AM »
15/12/12 - Rhossili

Bagged a flyable window in the early afternoon.  There were a few showers out at sea but most of them passed to the south.  I say most but one did pass rather close and initially deterred us from launching :? [size=78%].  After that, there was a 30 minute flying window before the wind died away and left us to pack up as the sun lowered on the horizon[/size] 8) [/size][size=78%]. Also flying - Stu, Leon and Viv[/size]

Many thanks to Nasher for the lift.

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2014, 19:28:01 PM »
30/11/2014 - Rhigos

Well, the forecast turned out to be very accurate.  Driving up the Neath Valley just after midday, the turbines near Seven Sisters were not turning but ascending the Rhigos road, we espied a couple of gliders in the air!
At the launch, Viv and me met up up with Steve W, Leon, Nick Winder and a few from SEW.  The wind was a tad intermittent at first but by the time we were ready to launch, the breeze was coming in nicely.  There was plenty of dynamic lift to enjoy albeit a tad lumpy low down.  Full winter kit was the order of the day although it was actually not too cold for a winter northerly!.  The wind was actually NNW so the best flying was to be found along the ridge to the right of launch.  Out in the distance, a line of cloud remained banked up against the Beacons all afternoon but all was clear around the Rhigos.  After a while, wispy bits of cloud pointed the way to some lifty lines coming through and Nick Winder and myself made a respectable few km out into wind! 

A very good winter flying day :)

Landing back on launch just after 15:00, it was time for a warming cuppa from the tea wagon and a chat with Gron, Chris W and others.  The wind on launch dropped(as did the temperature!) as the sun dipped behind the hill so a few of us decided to pack away.  However, the wind came through again and a few really keen pilots relaunched and flew till sunset :)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 19:36:00 PM by Nick Roberts »

Offline Mike Thomas

• Website member
  • +/-
  • Airtime: 100-500 Hours
  • Make of glider: Ozone Rush 3
  • Pilot Rating: Pilot
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2014, 12:50:14 PM »
I agree Nick. I just love that initial launch as my feet come off the ground. It's been pouring down in the SE all morning and still looks grim, so West is the place to be today.

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2014, 09:23:40 AM »
22/11/14  Rhossili

Drove down through various rainshowers but kept faith with a window of opportunity hinted at by XC Weather and the Metoffice Inshore Waters forecast!  Arrived to see Steve Bain in the air and met Rhun in the carpark.  Up on the Pimple, the wind seemed ok if a little strong at times and out to sea, the weather seemed to be clearing up and there were no showers coming through.  We soon took to the air; Rhun on his new Gradient Nevada and me on my old Sigma 8.   Two visiting pilots added to the mix and we enjoyed a good flyabout for over an hour with Viv joining us later.

Good to get out on the hill.  I just love that feeling of launching into the air when I haven't flown for a while :)

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2014, 19:37:51 PM »
28/09/2014 - Tal Y Bont

A similar forecast to the previous day and it was nice'n sunny in the morning so it was back to Tal Y B for the big walkup.  Suprisingly for a sunday,  there were no other pilots there apart from Jon Munro  me and Viv who sensibly  declined the walk up!  By the time we had got to the top, the skies had greyed over and there was not a puff of wind so we sat around for a while chatting and enjoying the tranquil surroundings.  Then, as if by magic,  at around 15:30, the skies opened up a little and a few puffs of wind came up the slope so we prepared for launch :-).  Some close-in scratching ensued followed by some usable lift and we were able to climb up almost to cloudbase at a little over 3000' amsl  and have a nice flyabout.  The conditions lasted about an hour before tailing off but we flew out and away from the hill in good time to ensure an easy return glide  to the carpark 8-).

We then went for a well earned pint at the Red Cow Inn in Pontsticill.

Five days flying on my week off....can't be bad 8-)

Offline Steve Bain

• SWWSC Treasurer
  • Website member
  • +/-
    • http://www.pisys.net
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2014, 09:30:19 AM »
Well done Nick. A huge achievement and many more hours of enjoyment to come!  :-D

Offline John Nash (Nasher)

• Website member
  • +/-
  • Pilot Rating: Coach
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2014, 08:36:40 AM »
3000 hours is an amazing achievement Nick - well done
Remember - It's only Flying!

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2014, 07:45:33 AM »
Hi Gron

In terms of hours flown, yes it is a lot of experience but I fear I am somewhat off the pace of the top pilots these days but I am enjoying my flying as much as ever!

Iechyd Da!

Nick R

Offline Gron Jones

• SWWSC Sites Officer
  • Website member
  • +/-
  • Glider Type: Paraglider & Hang glider
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2014, 21:47:38 PM »
Congratulations on the 3000 hours, Nick!  Quite an incredible time to have spent in mid air dangling under a large dish cloth with long strings!  Truly amazing.  That probably ranks right up there with any of the best pilots in the UK!!

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2014, 20:06:56 PM »
27/09/2014 - Tal Y Bont

According to the Rasp forecast, it looked like the best place to be.  However, leaving home under grey skies and a very low cloudbase I was somewhat unconvinced and had I not agreed to meet Steve p there, I may not have bothered but "hey ho, I could always go for a walk".   When I arrived, Steve was already halfway up the hill so I duly followed.  An hour of sweaty walking ensued and I was glad that I had put a spare T-shirt in the bag!  Up on top, I joined Steve in the air and we enjoyed a nice boatabout  in very light conditions . There was some very weak thermic activity which helped us to rise a few hundred feet here and there.  We were joined by two pilots from I think Poland and there were a few more pilots over at the smaller slope above the car park. I had not flown here for a good while and it was great to reacquaint myself with this magnificent flying site(and the steep walk up!).  :-)

Checking my logbook this evening, I was pleased to discover that I had passed the milestone of 3000 hours of airtime since I started flying back in 1989 :-D

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 07:47:17 AM by Nick Roberts »

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2014, 20:52:32 PM »
Rhossili - 26/09/2014

The forecast proved very accurate today.  Arrived early afternoon with my tandem passenger Mike to see a few gliders in the air and a few more "friday afternoon" fliers  arriving.  The Breeze was  moderate west northwesterly  and ideal for the tandem and many thanks to Gerry and Paul Williams for assisting with the launch and landing.  We enjoyed a good fly around taking in the splendid surroundings.  I made a second flight with EP student Angie from  Pembrey which went very well too.

Towards the end of the afternoon, the wind veered more to the northwest and dropped as per forecast.  The sun shone brightly into the early evening and it was great to sit and chat a while on the pimple before going to the pub for a nice pint out on the terrace.  Great to see Steve B, Ben, Jon, Guy, Stevie G, Gerry, Chris W, Paul W, Dave Stein, Hywel, Paddy  and anyone else I've forgotten to mention 8-).

Such a beautiful warm evening

Offline Peter Lake

• SWWSC Social Secretary
  • Website member
  • +/-
  • Make of glider: Niviuk Artik 5
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2014, 18:24:33 PM »
Nice one Nick. Welcome the 2014 SWW 50k club!  :wink:

Offline Mike Thomas

• Website member
  • +/-
  • Make of glider: Ozone Rush 3
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2014, 12:45:20 PM »
Cracking flight Nick, especially as it was so light. I see you're now into the top 100 of the XC league as well!

Offline Steve Bain

• SWWSC Treasurer
  • Website member
  • +/-
    • http://www.pisys.net
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2014, 10:47:38 AM »
Wow excellent flight Nick! Shame you didn't take the record! So close!