Author Topic: Hediadau Rhun  (Read 833 times)

Offline Mike Thomas

• Website member
  • +/-
  • Airtime: 100-500 Hours
  • Glider Type: Paraglider
  • Make of glider: Ozone Rush 3
  • Pilot Rating: Pilot
Re: Hediadau Rhun
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 23:00:51 PM »
Nice one Rhun. It's beautiful scenery up there, so a lovely way to spend a couple of hours.

Offline Rhun Llwyd

• Website member
  • +/-
    • @rhunllwyd (twitter)
  • Airtime: 100-500 Hours
  • Glider Type: Paraglider
  • Make of glider: Gradient Nevada
  • Pilot Rating: Pilot
Hediadau Rhun
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 20:28:55 PM »

Heol Senni 20k (+ Fan Hir)

Not the furthest flight but certainly a memorable one. Last year had left me a bit unfulfilled flying wise. On reflection it was down to myself not being focused enough. I promised I would not hang around on the hill and try and make the most on arriving if it was working. And I'm very glad I did that yesterday.

Quick "Hellos" and I was strapped in and ready to go. Nick was already high and threatening to leave. Pretty much as soon as I got in the air I was thermalling with the two Steves, Viv and Chris. It's much easier to leave the hill in a gaggle. Just a pity conditions don't allow for it more often.

Chris was now darting towards Fan Hir following Nick. I've always wanted to have a flight over the reservoir and across Fan Hir. By now SteveW had crossed the water and was also able to climb. SteveJ then headed over and I was trying to be as patient as possible in not very strong thermals but always maintaining. When I reached the other side I'd descended more than the rest but felt fairly confident of being able to gain height again. SteveJ was going up so something had to be working.

Eventually got up again to 3000ft where people started going their own way. The two Steves decided to go down the valley and Chris was on Fan Hir. I hadn't seen Nick land (thankfully) so opted for the ridge. Got enough height at the Fan G end to play around and feel confident enough to track to the northen end. After falling below ridge height I had my last good climb to 3700ft (the best of my day).

Now then, the boonies do look a little daunting but you have to try things out. Things had gone well up to then if rather slowly. I probably picked the wrong line and wasn't able to connect with anything my skills could make use of. Looking at Nicks tracks it seems he had a low save in the same place so I'll have a few questions for him when I see him next.

Landed and packed up before realising Rhiw Wen (!) was the closest road to get to. A pleasant hours walk back to a road flew past. On the way Nick flew above me and it was time to get the old thumb out for a lift. As soon as I put my flying suit on a van stopped and got me back to Chris and the car in Pontardawe Tesco. It was good to exchange notes and experiences with the guys before heading home very content.

The flight took two hours to travel 15k staright line! That said I feel I was able to hone in on the thermals ok on such a blue sky day. I've flown Fan Hir. I've walked the boonies in no time and with a smile. I didn't mess about around launch and so got to leave the hill in a club gaggle. The suit stopped a van quick enough. A good day.

http://www.xcleague.com/xc/flights/2014592.html