Author Topic: Stu Flew 2015  (Read 5315 times)

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
  • Airtime: 100-500 Hours
  • Glider Type: Paraglider
  • Make of glider: Ozone Rush 4
  • Pilot Rating: Pilot
Re: Stu Flew 2015
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2015, 12:56:07 PM »
Not a bad year at all. Clocking up 100 hrs :D  A lot of that flying in thermic air. Still flyable here in Algodonales although the sun has lost its power. I have a hire car so have been getting around a bit. Spent a couple of days down in Gibralter last week.

Shown around by a paragliding friend who's lived there nearly 60 years. Interesting place with a lot of history. And nice to get a pint of ale and Roast dinner ;)

Merry Xmas all.  Hopefully catch some of you over the next few weeks
"If you were born without wings,do nothing to prevent them from growing;)"

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2015, 08:52:55 AM »
04/12 Lijar SE   Rush 4

No more work for this year and a couple more weeks to enjoy the sunshine. Although its been sunshine here, the high pressure has kept any height gains down and I've avoided flying over the last week. Decided to head up for a go yesterday and it was ok.

What stared out as some scratching below the hill turned into a 2hr flight in light thermals away from the hill, never getting mech above 3200ft and pushing out 3km or so from the hill. Making it back to the landing field was great as the landing bar had just turned up 8)

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2015, 22:58:58 PM »
26/11 Montellano/ Ronda la Vieja.

Abused my blogs for over a month due to being busy and lack of internet. So here is some of it.

It's gone a lot colder over this last week but the weather has been real kind to us over the last few weeks with high pressure and sunshine  8)  Lots of flying done at Lijar, Ronda, Montellano and Canete.

Some training weeks saw me trying out some En A wings on my way down to the landing field. The Bolero 5 is a nice glider and I was really impressed with the lightweight Skywalk Masala, flown with a Verso and light reserve it weighed in at 7kg :)  quite sporty flown top-end and would be great for hike and fly and the green grass launches of Wales :)

Not much in the way of XC of late but last week I did have a couple of flights off Lijar with smooth light thermals where I was able to push out upwind 7km or so towards El Gastor and back to the landing field. Sweet for November.

N Easterlies this week so a lot of searching out thermals at Montellano and  some nice afternoons soaring at Ronda over the last couple of days.Even some thermalling on a little cloud 18m when it got a tad strong yesterday.

Over 13hrs since my last post, I'll try and keep up;)

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2015, 23:20:20 PM »
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 23:22:56 PM by Stu Kelly »

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2015, 19:10:19 PM »
02/10   Lijar West   Rush 4

Lots of pilots on launch, Germans, French etc,etc. Probably 70 pilots and more spectators hanging around. No birds or clouds showing the way. I decide to be wind dummy today.Nobody is in a rush to launch. It's Friday  and after a great flight yesterday and late retrieve I'm happy  for an early day back to town;)

I launch and luck is on my side. Few seconds out and I'm in a thermal and soon find myself 3500ft above Take off waving at the crowds and on my way towards the lake at Zahara 8)

My smugness soon drops away and after a lifty glide to the twin peaks I get drilled and end up at peaks height scratching the top waiting for some sun or birds to show but its too early.

Looking at my landing options for an easy retrieve being the main road at El Gastor I miss this following 2 Vultures low into dodgy terrain and end up in the only landable field below the steep rock face surrounded by the vast sloping olive groves.

It only gets worse as after packing away my field of cows reveals a massive bull :o :o :o  but after a brief stand-off he's not interested :o (breath) and I'm on my way to the high fenced off deserted smallholding,lol.. The 3 big aggressive farm dogs are faking it and as they run towards me snarling I run at them and they are scared ;)  Result.

The short distance to the main road road doesn't pan out either as my track meanders further away from my destination thru the large olive groves. I walk around 4km and the sun is now baking down and the day is getting good( for those in the air)  Pilots are on their way over from the mountain and now its working..lol

I watch and listen to the FlySpain group overfly me on route to Ronda and I egg them on.

Quite an epic little walk out considering I wanted an easy Friday afternoon. I meet the bus on the way to Ronda to pick up our guys and it's beer o clock and the end of my week off ;)    45mins
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 19:19:02 PM by Stu Kelly »

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2015, 11:36:33 AM »
30/09   Lijar SE    Rush 4

Week off and a decent day, joining Niall ( FlySpain) and his friends from Jersey on a guided week. We get good climbs out front and with light breeze thermal into wind and the twin peaks. I get low in the valley behind peaks but a glider in a low save shows the way and soon im up over Montecorto patiently thermalling towards Ronda.

It works well as always before Ronda, and as most opt for landing at the Don Benito hotel for drinks me and Jersey Ross decide to push on. (shame to waste good height 6000ft+asl)

We glide for the next town of Arriate but nothing more to get away and a bit of a headwind on landing 1 hr 45 and 29.3km.

1/10   Lijar SW Ramp     Rush 4

A good day Forecast. The wind is switching from SE to SW and this is normally a good time to launch for a limited time before the wind goes West. For those quick to get off it was a great climb out pilots heading in various directions.

I hang back in a good climb around Olvera topping up while some of the boys glide on fast and get low on the Ridge at Pruna. The drift is slow going today but the climbs are great to heights above 8000ft.

With 2 down at Pruna it's just me and Ross on his Delta 2 left and we fly together and find some great climbs towards Almargen. Malaga airspace  ahead we opt to fly more North and tailwind seems to help us this way. Gliding over a highish Range of hills scattered with windmills we glide low for the town Los Corrales.

I can hear the dogs barking and people talking and have picked my field but Ross finds us a real low save 400ft agl and were off again working a slow climb with no drift above town,a glide later on our way to the next civilisation:)

A big terrain of nothing ahead but a cloud is forming so we decide to have a go for Estepa and a main motorway some 10km ahead. Good climb at first  but then I hit a light northerly wind low down and Im on the deck 4km before Town of Pedrera. Ross gets another low save and enough to take him closer to town.

An awesome flight for me.  4hrs Over some panoramic landscape. Maybe with more wind we could have flown some big km's. It was great flying with the Jersey group and using a Radio for a change helped for ideas, direction and logistics.  60km.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 19:58:35 PM by Stu Kelly »

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2015, 17:09:03 PM »
27/09   Lijar West Rush 4

I was missing a good day with a hangover from Wales v England night, But got a call from a friend heading out for a late flight. Very light on take off with the odd cycle coming through. Foolishly I left my gloves off and was flying in shorts as I planned a short flight then down to the landing bar;)

A forward launch at 5:30pm and I glided out away from the hill. Gliders were scattered around an still in orbit but low down was hard work and people were bombing out. I kept flying straight and worked a slow climb above the little peak I call vulture rock. This turned into a steady 3m up climb to great heights.

I watched my Gps/vario go over 10 000ft but then had to lose height as my hands were freezing. A real shame as it was a great day. Cloudbase was around  11 000 plus and some pilots I spoke to in the landing field had been in the air for 6hrs and done decent triangles. 1hr 30

My week off now so more of the same would be good. I will be wearing trousers and gloves for sure;)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 22:04:34 PM by Stu Kelly »

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2015, 18:41:01 PM »
18/09   Ronda la Vieja      Rush 4

Retrieve driver for the first flight off Lijar SE launch, most of the group had got up and away with good height gains but "cluster bombed" in all directions making for an interesting round up.

Eventually we finished off at Ronda la V for a beautiful late smooth soaring flight with some thermic activity still happening at gone 7:30pm. With 20 pilots in the air there was plenty of space pushing well out into the valley. After 30 mins I pushed down the ridges to the road landing for an easy pick up.

19/09     Lijar SE     Rush 4

Strong all day but we went up in hope in the afternoon and para waited on launch with about 40 others. It dropped enough for a late flight and was great watching the sun go down, climbs out front and more and more taking to the skies. I spied the landing bar (its written on the roof of his van) so spiralled down for a cerveca to be follwed  by lots more as it got dark. Great afternoon,   45mins.   
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 18:42:22 PM by Stu Kelly »

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2015, 18:28:49 PM »
9/09/ Ronda la Vieja   Rush 4

Not a lot of fly time of late as been on the training EP and Cp weeks. A good learning experience. While trainees waited for smooth soaring conditions I went up for a quick flight. Easy to gain height with a good Cloudbase (8000ft)  At 7pm gliders were still coming over on XC's from Algodonales 8) 

After 30mins I spiralled and big eared down from some 3000ft above launch ready to keep an eye on landings later on.

11/09   El Bosque    Rush 4

Another quick afternoon forage above the forest. Lots of vultures around, closest I've thermalled with them watching their necks moving scanning from the air. Beautiful evening and the birds showing good climbs well out front of the hill. Another rapid descent and a good spot landing on the inner red target.  20mins

15/09   Matalascanas    Rush 4/ Zero 17

Day at the beach and flyable when we arrived. The guided group are all off easy together and we have a trail of 9 gliders down the dunes. Some venture the whole 22 km down to the town of Mazagon and back but must of us play in the first 8km or so;) (it all looks the same to me)

The wind picks up and after 2hrs its time to head for the small strip of beach to land, difficult to get down with the strong lift band one side and sea the other.  I had a quick demo on the Ozone Zero 17m and it was real fun zooming about a few km down the ridge before top landing and packing away :D

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 18:31:53 PM by Stu Kelly »

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2015, 12:34:37 PM »
28/08 Lijar  Poniente (W)  Rush 4

Back in sunny Andalucia, after the sun and thermals dropped a bit I grabbed a lift up to the Westerly for a lovely late afternoon flight. The vultures were out in force and with a few pilots as well you could see it was working well out front of launch.

The landscape below has changed colour a fair bit since I was here last and any green has changed to brown with crops gone and scorched earth taking over most fields.

I was able to gain 1500ft ato at times and when I'd had enough glided off the corner of the ridge over the back the fly low over the town to land in the small field just outside. A quick pack away and walk and I was home  8)

50mins
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 14:22:55 PM by Stu Kelly »

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2015, 20:39:40 PM »
15/08  Merthyr    Rush 4

BCC final weekend and a good turnout on launch. Sky didn't look great with a low cloudbase. One of the first off launch with Peter L and Mike T we were away and in CB just over the back, some big ears and speed-bar in what felt like minutes in the white room and I was on a glide to the ground above Deri for an early pack away and a long retrieve for my 7km :'( 30 mins.

16/08    Talybont    Rush 4

Always great to visit a new site. Or so I thought ;)   A monster walk up which took me well over an hour. All for a glorious TTB short of the cars.
Still great weekend and good to catch up with lots of friends and some  camping out at Llangattock and Abergavenney. Looking forward to the BCC next year.

18/08   Fochriw      Rush 4

Arrived around 11 ish with Chris. A good sky out front and the wind picking up all the time., we eventually got away but the thermals, drift very unpredictable and I was on the deck some 8km or so behind take off at Markham. Worth a go ;)   50 mins in total with some slope and top landings,

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2015, 13:01:52 PM »
12/08  Abernant    Rush 4

Looked a good sky but too windy and some nasty thermic gusts coming thru on arrival at 11am. Some Walking and a sleep in the glorious sunshine followed.

The wind dropped a bit around 3pm and I took off shortly after Viv arrived. Hard to get any good height (800ft ato max) which was a shame as cloudbase was highish and some great Cu streets way out front, over to the North black mountains  and over the back thru Carmarthenshire and beyond :x 

I wanted to push out to the old tip to the South where the birds were climbing well but always got there too low and had to push back to the hill and make a slope landing.

The wind being a tad cross didn't help and we packed away around 5:30 even though it was still flyable.

Frustrating day, 1hr 50 and lots of slope/top landings and cursing ;)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 13:11:26 PM by Stu Kelly »

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2015, 23:06:46 PM »
Fan G  11/08/15  Rush 4

Met Nick and Viv in the lay-by at 12:30 and we drove up in the van.Light on the West face, fair bit of cloud. Parawaiting is the order of the day. We could see the sea breeze had pushed up the Neath valley by the clouds and windmills slowly going around.

It came on a little stronger and SW around 5pm and I glided down the ridge to the SW face for a short soar getting above the ridge at times. Nick and Viv flew down to the lay-by and I top landed by the track to get the Van.

Pint in the Ancient Briton is always good.

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2015, 17:57:56 PM »
Rhossili  7/08/15    Rush 4

Camping down Kennoxstone  Gower for 2 nights  and Meeting up with Some friends from Flyspain and Lee and Fiona Tryhorn. Arrived at the hill around 4:30 ish when the wind was just coming on strong enough off the top for a nice soaring session, some top landings and then pimple landed to pack away for the Worms head pint ritual ;D   45mins. Nice to catch up with people.

Nant y Moel  08/08/15  Rush 4

Met Chris at his house with Russ (FlySpain) and we were off in Chris car for the hill. A big turnout on launch with the Avon club and more. Tricky to get height and lots of pilots trying to get away. Missed the climb that Chris and Russ got away in when the sky was looking good.

Lots of up and down the ridge searching and eventually got away low but in a good climb  with Ken( Avon) some drifting and a glide got me on the ridge above treorchy where me and Ken got stuck scratching with teasing little thermals coming thru.

It looked like landing time as we got further and further down the ridge but patience payed off and 2 other pilots glided over and we all climbed out together. A blue hole between take off and Merthyr but my highest point around Maerdy at 0nly 3500ft asl

A few more thermally bits and a low glide over the flat mountain top before Aberdare got me to the Sportsfield, on setting up thought I was in for a low save as I gained some height with a few 360's but not enough to climb the tree lined ridge above :|

Nice scrappy little flight which is good for the learning curve. Landed with Avon pilots Ken, Iain and Peggy and made my way to the bus stop to meet Chris for a taxi back to the hill.
Only 14km with Turnpoints but a fun flight.  2hrs 30 in total with all the flight before I left the hill.

Well done to Russ who made it to Hay on Wye for around 60km. Thanks Chris for getting us back to Gower for camping, Beers and BBQ.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 11:46:13 AM by Stu Kelly »

Offline Phil Thomas

• Powered Liaison
  • Website member
  • +/-
  • Make of glider: 777 Rook - Dudek Nucleon - Paramania Revo
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2015, 15:36:16 PM »