Author Topic: MikeJTPG 2015 flights  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Peter Lake

• SWWSC Social Secretary
  • Website member
  • +/-
  • Airtime: 100-500 Hours
  • Glider Type: Paraglider
  • Make of glider: Niviuk Artik 5
  • Pilot Rating: Pilot
Re: MikeJTPG 2015 flights
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 14:36:49 PM »
Nice video Mike! And great to see you having fun at Base.
 I got thrown by the matz too, as it showed on my Kobo airspace cross section, but not on the map view.
I hadn't recognised you when we were flying together on the hill - must make a better mental note of the team's wings next time!

Offline Mike Thomas

• Website member
  • +/-
  • Make of glider: Ozone Rush 3
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 11:20:38 AM »
Hi guys. I've finally got round to editing the BCC video from Combe. The write up is available in you tube. It was great fun.

Offline Mike Thomas

• Website member
  • +/-
Devils * May 25th 2015
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 23:03:19 PM »
First flight was a bit bumpy so when it dropped off I landed. I considered packing up, but then it got all lifty and smooth looking so I couldn't resist.
I was rewarded with a climb up to 1200' above launch in smooth lift. That in turn meant I could use my new Hero 4, which is just as well, as there was a smudge on the lens of my Hero 2 helmet camera, and I would have been annoyed if that was the only video I captured.  With my height I thought I'd see if Truleigh was on. It was when I packed up, but all I got when I tried was too much sink in the NW wind. 15kph to the cables where I gave up with less than 500' left above take off. On turning round, I accelerated to 50kph with a tail wind. I was back on launch in a flash.
Nice to get properly in the air after a lot of driving and not much flying this weekend.

Offline Mike Thomas

• Website member
  • +/-
BCC at Hundred House May 23rd 2015
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 23:00:50 PM »
The day promised much, but unfortunately didn't deliver. May 23rd 2015 was called as another BCC round at Hundred House.
I left home in Surrey at 05:15 to get there for the 10:00 start, and as usual the company and organisation were great. The flying would have been the cake to put the icing on, but a lack of wind made it hard for all but the Alistair Andrews to get away. His sterling effort at least showed what was possible, with an impressive 45km. Most of the rest had a top to bottom, but a few had some also impressive thermalling flights.
Still it's always fun to see pilots on the hill, in this most friendly of competitions. I enjoyed it despite the lack of flying.
Great to see the boys, and that was a nice pint in the Ancient Britain afterwards!

« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 23:05:51 PM by Mike Thomas »

Offline Mike Thomas

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 00:13:55 AM »
I'd driven to South Wales for the Easter weekend, as there was both the SWWSC XC challenge and a BCC round called for the Sunday. Saturday was howling through from the NE, but it was forecast to drop off some in the evening, and so I made my way to The Blorenge near Abergavenny.

Thankfully it did drop off enough to fly, though initially it looked like it may be a little light, making staying up difficult. However it ended up on the strong side most of the time, and we were able to have a nice boat around at the top of the mountain. I really did not want to bottom land, as my car was at the top, some 30 minutes walk away, whereas the bottom landing field was near the town and a lift or cab ride back up.

I did a few top landings, and as it was quite strong I got to do some hovering, which I always rather enjoy. It was good to shake off the cobwebs and get an hour or so in, and I was in good company.

Unfortunately one of the "Southern Slackers" BCC team, Nick suffered a dislocated elbow which we didn't know about until half way back to the car park. He was okay in the end, but had a night in casualty, and put an end to his weekends flying before it began. It's a reminder for me that we must never become complacent in paragliding. The next two days were epic in Wales as well. Get well soon Nick!

The video is here:

Offline Mike Thomas

• Website member
  • +/-
Heol Senni Easter XC
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 15:38:23 PM »

It was back to Wales for the annual SWWSC XC challenge, as we'd decided to do that rather than the BCC, which was the same weekend.
It was blown out the day before until about 5pm when a few of the SEW lot and Southern Slackers flew The Blorenge with some of the Joint Services pilots. Good fun there, but I wanted some XC.
Steve Watkins picked me up from my Dad's place, and we drove to Heol Senni which is a NE facing site with good XC potential. We all expected it to be light, but it was on the strong side before we knew it. This meant that the thermals were broken and that made it harder to get high and away. I landed after about 45 mins when it dropped off, and whilst chatting to Steve Bain, we saw a gaggle of six go over the back and working hard to stay in the lift. At least two came back, but three or four stuck with it and very slowly got high enough to get away. Bugger! We missed it. Was the thought on a few minds.
Launching again, I flew in ever increasing company for another 30 minutes before I joined a few, including Steve Bain in a thermal on the North side of the ridge, away from the quarry. Again it was hard to stay in, and I'd got to about 2000' amsl, when I'd lost it and thought about the expected poor glide back tot ridge. At this point though, I saw Steve B put in another turn, and thought "blow it", even if I just go 2km over the back at least I've had a go. The thermal was still there, but Steve wasn't! He'd gone and done what I was going to, and flown back to the front and was soon getting drilled as I expected. That was a real shame, as a "gaggle" of one pilot has half the chance of finding thermals as a gaggle of two.
I stuck with it, and it took me to 3000', until I was blasted with some chatter on the radio about how windy it was on the ground. I need to turn my radio down! Thankfully I was still in some zeros when I could hear my vario again, but lost it soon after.
A down wind dash to the brush fire saw me in some more light lift, only really maintaining though but I'd made it to the other side of the reservoir, and then over the valley beyond. I could tell it was blowing, and I was getting increasingly low, only a few hundred feet above the rising ground, but there in front of me, facing directly into wind was the Fan Hir ridge. I made it, no more than 50' above the ground, and within one beat I'm at ridge height.
Thoughts of ridge soaring went out the window as I was worried of getting blown over the back, so pressed out front at all of 5kph into a 4m/s ascent in a straight line. I was a little unnerved, and so when I lost the climb, I didn't hang around. I wish I had done now, as no more was to be had, other than a 2km downwind glide to the deck.
Still, it was a great 10.5km flight, my first of 2015 and I bumped into some ramblers on the walk to Dan yr Ogof and the offer of a retrieve from Steve Bain. Thanks Steve!

Offline Mike Thomas

• Website member
  • +/-
MikeJTPG 2015 flights
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 01:53:15 AM »
I honestly didn't think the wind was going to drop enough for paragliders on Saturday 24th January. I initially decided to go to West Firle, but when I arrived at 4pm, it felt too light even though the wind turbine was spinning away, and there was a smoke plume flatlining behind. I was on my own so thought I'd go check out the * instead and when I arrived at 4:30pm was rewarded to see a Frenchman on a Little Cloud in the air. It seemed light enough so I grabbed my wing, but was not still fast enough to beat Vincent into the air. (He'd landed to switch to his big wing).
Off I went with no vario for a change, and it was super smooth and lifty. Serene at sunset, and nice and quiet to boot.
 I boated for 15-20 mins with Vincent, John Turczac and finally Paul O'Neil until it got too dark for comfort and I put it down gently in front of the pub.
It was my first time in the UK flying so late and fun to see the colours of dusk and the crescent moon from the air.
 A great start to my 2015 flying season, and some delicious bread from the baker to boot. I must moderate the word "lovely" in my speech though.