Author Topic: Manilla 2015  (Read 1363 times)

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
  • Airtime: 500 Hours +
  • Glider Type: Paraglider
  • Make of glider: Axis Venus SC Small
  • Pilot Rating: Advanced Pilot
Re: Manilla 2015
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 10:30:44 AM »
Hi Chris

The flight took 7hrs and 40mins and I didn't need a pee!  Sorry I couldn't upload it onto Leonardo as I didn't have a computer or one of those tablet thingies to hand! To quote one of the local pilots looking at my instruments " What's that..... man you need to get with the times!" :laugh:

Offline Chris Dusgate

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 14:23:32 PM »
Superb Nick, well done, how long did it take? any chance you can load it onto Leonardo and provide a link to it (asking a lot I know given you're away)

Chris

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 04:18:30 AM »
G`day all

The XC camp has finished and what a week it was.  Seven days out of eight were flown and three of our groupof four flew PB`s on thursday - 258km for me ;D .  I am now having a rest and going off to tour the southcoast a bit.  Back next week :)

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 03:19:27 AM »
Hi all

Blown out in Manilla today so having a rest day.  We've flown on the first three days of the XC Camp.  The first day was a bit windy, second day started slowly but by mid p.m the sky was fab and lots of great flights were made  in various directions.  My route was perhaps not the most productive as I spent nearly six hours doing 90km but I prefer to follow a main highway as I have no GPS spot tracker for the driver to follow.  Yesterday started off really well but by mid p.m we were having to divert away from growing storm cell clouds and had to land a bit early at around the 60 to 80km mark.

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 02:41:09 AM »
Yeah, I need to watch my socks in case any spiders get in them - saw some pretty nasty little buggers out at the flightpark this morning!

The weather has been pretty stormy this week and we've had some real rainfall here.  I've never seen it so green .  It still seems to work ok though: Yesterday, I enjoyed a cracking flight along a regular route to a place called Bingara,  landing a few km past the town as the wind was getting a bit strong to go downwind over jungle covered hills.  94km in 3hours 30mins: quite quick for me and thanks to a couple of lucky lifts, I even made it back to town before darkness fell!

Today is another gorgeous day but blown out although a good few had a morning flight before the wind really kicked in.  There are a lot more pilots here now; all coming along for the XC Camp which starts tomorrow.

Offline Dave Thompson

• SWWSC Safety Officer
  • Website member
  • +/-
  • Make of glider: Ozone Rush 5
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 14:09:05 PM »
Re the flies - just change your socks a bit more frequently 😜

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
Manilla 2015
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 00:42:54 AM »
Hi all, greetings from Manilla down under.  The town has changed little since my last visit in 2006 which is just the way I like it!  The flightpark has expanded somewhat though and now features a large clubhouse and coffee bar with adjacent swimming pool.  The weather has been pretty mixed so far but generally very hot.  The conditions were a bit rough on the first couple of days and I had to land after about an hour each time due to airsickness!.  On my third day though,  I decided not to go over the back and flew a nice triangle getting up to over 5000' a.t.o.  and landing after 3hrs 30, I felt fine and since then I've bagged a couple of 100km+ flights landing at nearly 18:00 both times.  I've also had to spend a couple of nights out on the side of the road but I've made it back to the hotel for breakfast both times!. Yesterday though, storms were forecast in the afternoon and shortly after launching at 11:30, showers started to breakout and I just made it down to the landing field in time.  20 minutes later, as I was packing up in the clubhouse an almighty gust front blew through: not to be messed with!

The forecast is similar today so a rest day is in order.  I have joined a retrieve group for the XC Camp next week so hopefully good weather, big flights and no more nights stuck out on the road!  There aren't that many pilots staying in town at the moment as most camp at the Flightpark but there should be a lot more coming out for the XC Camp.

So, I've had a few exciting days and a few relaxing ones.  Live music is popular here and there have been some good bands playing at the hotel and one day last week I took a busride into Tamworth where Australia's biggest annual country music festival was taking place :yeehah!

More big flights to come: I love it out here....but the flies.......oh the flies - I need one of those corked hats!