Author Topic: CD's airtime  (Read 1445 times)

Offline Chris Dusgate

• Website member
  • +/-
  • Airtime: 500 Hours +
  • Glider Type: Paraglider
  • Pilot Rating: Advanced Pilot
Re: CD's airtime
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 11:32:22 AM »
25th and 26th September

Friday the 25th.

I went to Merthyr with Steve Jones. We took off just after mid-day and it wasn't very lifty to be honest, the thermals felt too small and broken. The wind then picked up for an hour or so and it was up to 25mph on take-off. Around 2 ish it seemed to ease and we launched into slightly better conditions after seeing Polish Andy get high, a couple of gliders at Fochrhiw made some good height also. It took 30 mins of flying before I managed to get a thermal which became more convincing and I was committing to going over the back at around 800 feet ato. The climb improved with height. i had a WNW drift so I was concerned about drifting into the 4,000 feet airspace. There was a nice line of clouds downwind of me and I had some nice buoyant glides, stopping occasionally to top up on height for the next 12 k or so. Just north of Blackwood my line of clouds started to falter and I lost some height as I glided towards the hill to the west of Cwmbran. This hill has quite a large top area and a long walkout could have been on the cards as I drifted down  to 2,500 feet asl, however I managed to find a climb which took me to over Cwmbran at 4,400 feet asl. The drift then seemed to drop off then, I'd been looking for max downwind speed as I felt there had been some convergence and heading exactly downwind seems to be a good way of trying to stay in convergence. However I seemed to be in 'deadish' air with little drift. in hindsight I could have worked one or two bits of weak lift but as is often the case here it felt like sea air had pushed in over the Gwent flats hadeffectively stopped play. I landed near Llanvaches just before Caldicot. A nice flight for the time of year and a big thanks to Steve Jones for coming to pick me up. Looking at Peter Lakes flight he landed not too far to the north, think we both got downed by similar conditions, he seems to have had similar conditions with nice floaty glides
Track log here: http://www.xcleague.com/xc/flights/20153303.html
The next day:

Bryn Caws with every man and his dog... never seen so many people at the site, 3 schools obviously helping with the numbers. Sadly the wind became too light before it surprisingly sea breezed. I flew briefly and got to 800 feet ato. By all accounts it was better earlier. we were unlucky the sky looked good some of the time and to lose out to lack of wind/sea breeze this time of year was not what I expected given the forecast. not sure we could have gone anywhere else, although apparently Pandy was OK.   The ying and yang of this sport I guess.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 11:35:43 AM by Chris Dusgate »

Offline Chris Dusgate

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 19:12:38 PM »
18 August

Fochrhiw with Stu Kelly

Forecast was for highish winds. Most forecasts showed more wind on the coast and RASP looked poor for Llandewi Brefi so we opted for Fochrhiw. When we got there wind was on the light but soon started coming through. There wasn't much height to be had for the first flight. wind was off to the SW at times and thermals were broken. It wasn't very pleasant to be honest and quite bumpy. Second flight was better and Stu K and I managed to get a thermal to 3,600 feet asl. We managed a second thermal but the smoother conditions up high were weak and once we were a few k over the back we had very little drift. Alas a third thermal was not found and we went down near Blackwood. I think the sky flattered to deceive today and it wasn't a great day for thermal flying (maybe later entries in the Xc league will prove me wrong !). still it was nice to get some flying when we weren't even sure that would happen.

Trace here

http://www.xcleague.com/xc/flights/20152984.html?vx=0
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 23:02:48 PM by Chris Dusgate »

Offline Steve Bain

• SWWSC Treasurer
  • Website member
  • +/-
    • http://www.pisys.net
  • Airtime: 100-500 Hours
  • Pilot Rating: Pilot
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 20:01:13 PM »
Well Done Chris!

Offline Chris Dusgate

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 11:32:53 AM »
Nant  y Moel 31 July

Well it's been a while since I've been in the air (Rhossili in February to be exact). Flying hasn't been an option for the last 4 months and I must admit I was a bit nervous.

Also there, Stu,Steve P, Steve J. The forecast was great but on the hill the wind was off to the south and we struggled to get any height (we had a blue hole over us as well). Steve P eventually went over the back with not too much height and unfortunately bombed. Steve J also had some good height at times but unfortunately missed out on the climb Stu, I and another glider took from the western end of the ridge, It only took us to 3,000 feet but as the sea breeze was clearly pushing in it was the right decision to go with it. A climb behind Treorchy then took me to 4,000 feet after which I joined up again with Stu. We flew together after that. There was a gorgeous climb to 5,000 feet around Talybont which seemed to be setting us up for a long flight. Gliding on from that climb we had a buoyant glide and I found the next thermal and recall shouting to Stu that we'd done 42k so far. Somehow I then lost the climb( fatigue probably) and Stu managed to stay in it.Despite expecting a climb off the western end of the Black Mountains it didn't materialise and  I ended up landing near Talgarth. Stu landed a couple of k further on. There was a lot of shade, not sure I would have taken another route though, other than perhaps crossing winding onto the flats when were high, however the high ground had worked so far. As it so often the case with my flights the highest point is often followed by a landing!!!

It was great to be up in the air again and to fly with Stu. The retrieve was good as I only had to walk 200 yards before getting a lift down into Talgarth in time for a bus 5 mins later which took me to Merthyr. A taxi from there was a bit of an expense, not least because I left my Rab fleece in the taxi ..dooh, reminds me of when Steve J picked up a fleece from a taxi he shared with me thinking it was mine, only for it to be the drivers.

A special flight for me this one. Airtime this year = 3 hrs  ;D

Link here
http://www.xcleague.com/xc/flights/20152669.html?vx=0

« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 12:54:04 PM by Chris Dusgate »

Offline Chris Dusgate

• Website member
  • +/-
CD's airtime
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 17:30:03 PM »
Well I really jinxed today didn't I, after talking it up so much. Went to Builth and didn't get off the ground (too light/wrong wind direction). RASP did still look good this morning but a clear wind direction of northerly seemed to be to the east of us. Fan G might have been worth a look but it was probably blown out mid afternoon by the SWly. Hopefully the weather gods will appreciate mine and Steve Ps offering of our time today