Author Topic: Sky Dancers Sorties  (Read 8222 times)

russskydancer

Sky Dancers Sorties
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 10:50:23 AM »
Sat 20th Oct 07
Bryn Caws
Arrived with Steve Bain quite early to find the wind on the hill at about 10-14 MPH just about flyable, John Nash arrived a little while later he was the first one in the air and found some light lift to the north end of the ridge, Steve Bain was the next one away who flew a few beats then landed lower down on the hill, then John landed and i took off in what turned out to be a lull i lost quite a bit of height but managed to scratch back along the hill passing over Steve Bain who i thought was having a rest before climbing back to take off.
By the time i got back to launch Steve had phoned John to say that he had a hard landing and was in quite a bit of pain with his ribs and knee, so we both climbed down the hill to assist him, packed his glider up and offered to drive him to the hospital to get him checked out, but he said that he was OK to drive himself so i climbed back to take to fetch his car and meet him at the bend in the road near where he landed loaded his kit in the car and advised him to take his time driving home and to phone us later with an update on his condition.
Steve Jones had showed up in the meantime and asked us what had happened and if Steve was OK, the wind was quite light by this time and was also SSE so Steve decided to have a look at Cwm Afan to check conditions over there, Garath Pawan arrived at this time and decided to do some ground handling if not flying but a little later the wind picked up again and came back on the hill, John and Gareth took of followed shortly by myself, Gareth flew a few beats then bottom landed while i joined John at the north end of the hill to fly in the almost spring like quite punchy but buoyant conditions, for a total of 30 Min's airtime for myself.
When i landed other pilots were arriving at take off, some visitors from SE wales, also Paul one of our new CP's, i packed up and was invited with John for a cuppa at Gareth's home the other side of the neath valley, thanks G and also to your missus who made us very welcome, and we observed gliders still flying into the evening at Bryn Caws.
See you all om the hill real soon, safe flying.
Humphrey.

russskydancer

Sky Dancers Sorties
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 23:30:49 PM »
Sat 6th Oct 07
Moel Feity/Heol Senni
The winds were quite light yesterday so i wasn't too hopefull about today but decided to have a look anyway, John Nash phoned me to tell me he was on the way to Heol Senni to check out conditions and he would call me to give me an update when he got there, i phoned Viv our very keen and eager new CP to tell her i was going flying and that i would pick her up on the way up the swansea valley, in the meantime John phoned back to say that conditions were not good at Heol Senni, the wind was SE and quite light there so we decided to have a look at Moel Feity.
When we got there the wind was on the hill and there seemed to be a nice breeze so we decided to walk to take off and check it out, the wind was averaging about 10MPH so we unpacked the gliders and did some ground handling waiting for things to improve, we also gave Viv a bit of coaching to help her improve her reverse launching technique, she had a few launches and slope landed in the light conditions, while i had 2 flights trying to work the light lift in front of the hill, i managed to stay up for a little while but it wasn't really working.
In the meantime i thought i saw a glider at Heol Senni and suggested to the guys we have a look over there to see if it was flyable, when we got to take off conditions were ideal the wind was on the hill about 12-17MPH, John was the first one away and after asking Viv if she wanted any help or coaching to which she replied no i joined John in the air for a 1 hour flight in the very buoyant conditions, i was quite surprised as the cloud cover was total by this time but the air felt quite thermic and i managed to push way out into the valley in the lifty air, max height gain 450FT ATO, in the meantime John had landed to assist Viv and i landed shorty after and advised her to take off lower down the slope as conditions were quite strong by then, i had another flight then landed by the car for a total of 1 1/2 hours today.
We stopped for a drink at the Gwyn Arms on the way home to finish the day off.
All in all we had a good days flying on a day which didn't show much promise to start with, but in our game you never know hey  :wink:
See you all on the hill real soon, safe flying.
Humphrey.

russskydancer

Sky Dancers Sorties
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2007, 21:43:38 PM »
Sat 1st Sep Rhosilli

Met John Nash for breakfast at Scurlage but opted for a lighter one today, just some toast and a coffee i thought, that will be fine, but the temptation overcame me and i also had a bacon roll, perhaps my body already knew what the day had in store for me?
We got to the hill just after 9, we parked in the main car park today as the church one was closed for a wedding, when we got out of the cars the wind seemed southerly so we walked to the main path to make sure, it was westerly, yes looking good so far  :-) we were the first pilots on the hill and opted for a pimple launch as the wind was strong enough there, so we unpacked laid out and clipped in, StevieG and some other pilots turned up while we were laying out, i completed my pre flight checks clipped in and inflated the glider but the wind was blowing from the NW by this time so i had to move to the north of the pimple to launch, was the wind too far off and would i be able to fly along the hill  :? if not the cliffs were an option, time to find out :roll: i launched and started pushing along the hill towards the upper take off finding lift all the way, yes looking good so far  :-D that was an understatement ant there followed a very enjoyable 4 hour flight in the buoyant dynamic lift, i was joined shortly by John and 4 other pilots before things started to get busy with more pilots launching as the morning progressed, also two acrobatic guys in powered aircraft and another who passed under me while i was flying along the cliffs near the worms head hotel, time to head back to the main hill i thought  :-o just in case.
Steve Bain flew along the ridge to join me about 10:30 and we had a good time in the lifty conditions, after about 2 hours i was very thankful for that bacon roll as it sustained me for the next couple of hours, my longest flight here before today was for three hours, but i felt like i could have stayed up all day, but eventually common sense and the call of nature coaxed me back to earth after an epic 4 hour flight, Whewww   :-D what a day.
I was chatting to the guys on the pimple when Nick turned up to really make our day, it was great to see him out and about so soon after the accident, well done mate i hope you continue to improve quickly until you are fully fit again, the wind had blown up quite strongly by this time so we decided to pack up and head for the tea room, my thanks to Steve B who shared his cream tea with me and John.
All in all an excellent days flying topped of by Nick joining us on the hill.
See you on the hill real soon, safe flying.
Humphrey  8-)

russskydancer

Sky Dancers Sorties
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 10:53:37 AM »
Mon 27th Aug Rhew Wen
There and back again? not quite
I was chilling out on the bank holiday the weather forecast was northerly with moderate winds and was in two minds about flying, the mountain bike seemed a good option and i was just about to get kitted up when My good friend Steve Bain phoned and said that he was thinking of giving Rhew Wen a look and that he would pick me up if i wanted to go, no contest and my mind was made up definitely a flying day.
We arrived at take off to join Steve J and Phil C who told us that the wind had picked up quite strongly a little earlier but was starting to drop again when we arrived, there was a glider in the air and apparently the pilot was flying in a tee shirt with no flying suit, well it was quite chilly on the hill so i could imagine what it was like at altitude, Brrrrrr.
Anyway Steve J was the first in the air and he headed west along the ridge gaining some good height, followed by Phil C, so it was time to give it a go ourselves, i took off followed by Steve B and i headed west along the ridge looking for lift, by this time Steve J had disappeared and i thought he had gone XC, and was hoping to do the ridge run towards Carreg Cennin Castle for some great views, we got to a Quarry a couple of K along the ridge but couldn't find any lift beyond it so i worked the dynamic and thermic lift for a while but didn't find anything to get higher to push along the ridge further, Steve B in the meantime had landed and i thought of heading back to take off but knew he would have a long lonely walk back so i landed alongside him to keep him company, we got back to the car park where Steve treated me to a ice cream, cheers mate  :-D while we were eating them he had a phone call from Steve J who had landed another few K along the ridge and asked if Steve could pick him up.
By the time we got back to take off the wind had picked up again so we parawaited for it to hopefully drop again, we were kept company by three London lads who had come down to get some flying in the area, it got quite cold waiting for the wind to drop (memo to self, time to start bringing some warmer clothes again) well it did eventually and we all had a good flight in the light floaty conditions of what may have been some restitution lift, and i landed near the car park and packed up and was soon joined by Steve B, fancy another ice cream he said, sounds good to me i said, Cheers mate the ices are on me next time, Steve J and Phil landed near us shortly after and also packed up, so we said our goodbyes and headed for home.
I had about an hours flying in the sometimes quite scratchy conditions, but very enjoyable all the same, thanx to Steve B for the lift and ice cream and to Steve J and Phil C for the good company  :-D.
See you all on the hill real soon, safe flying 8-)
Humphrey.

russskydancer

Sky Dancers Sorties
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 10:06:05 AM »
Sat 25th Aug Rhosilli
Gliders in the mist
Met John Nash at Scurlage for breakfast at 8am and hopefully a good days flying, the forecast was a moderate westerly so hopefully a good day soaring, we arrived at takeoff about 9 the wind was NW but light so we sat and parawaited for conditions to improve, in the meantime some other pilots turned up one of which was Phil Neale who i haven't seen for a while, he was the first in the air which was still quite light but more westerly by now and had a couple of glides to the pimple.
By about mid day some wispies were forming above the hill and the wind seemed pretty brisk at altitude so i decided to give it a go and feel the air for myself, i took off and started doing some beats along the hill and was joined by 2 other gliders but the lift wasn't there so i decided to head for the beach and try again later, i had a good landing and was packing up when i noticed that visibility was decreasing at take off, also there was a big fog bank rolling in off the sea very reminiscent of the film The Fog, not a good sign i thought, by the time i walked back to take off visibility was virtually zero though some of the guys were ground handling, the fog was so thick you couldn't see the gliders above their heads, the curse of Rhosilli had struck again, never mind a good day out anyway and hopefully better conditions next time.
See you on the hill and safe flying.
Humphrey.

russskydancer

Sky Dancers Sorties
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 20:39:03 PM »
Sat 28th July Rhosilli
A grand day out
The weather forecast for this weekend wasn't looking too good (again  :cry:) but it finally came good today, i checked the weather forecast yesterday evening, spoke to John Nash on the phone and we decided that it was looking good for today, so we arranged to meet at Scurlage for breakfast this morning and get the day off to a good start, we met a few other pilots there, Gareth Pawan for one who was there with the wife, the sky was blue the wind was westerly and quite light at that time.
We got to the hill about 9:30 the wind was bang on westerly and blowing about 10mph at that time but was improving all the time, i layed out on the pimple, clipped in and waited far a good breeze to take off, conditions were quite scratchy at first but managed to get up to the main ridge and worked that until conditions improved then started to work my way along the ridge.
 It wasn't long until i was joined by other pilots and the sky soon became quite busy, but the air was becoming more buoyant all the time so there was lots of room for everyone, this was my first flight using my new Sup Air Evo XC harness and i wasn't disappointed, it is very comfy, weight shifts really well and has lots of adjustments.
The first flight lasted 2 hours in the usual chill out conditions at Rhosilli, followed by another 1 hour flight so it was a great day all in all.
I think i counted 20 pilots in the air at one time so it was definitely the place to be today, i landed on the beach and packed up just before the weather front and the rain arrived, then we called in for some liquid refreshment at the Worms Head Hotel to finish the day off, perfect or what  :-D
Saw some faces on the hill i haven't seen for a while one of which was Dan Ashworth our chairman, great to see you Dan.
Bye for now, safe flying and see you on the hill real soon.
Humphrey.

russskydancer

the Slovenian trip 14th 21st June 2007
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 19:54:41 PM »

John and I arrived at Ljubljana airport with the other pilots on the trip, I with anticipation and trepidation, the first of Paragliding in this beautiful country again, the second of the fact that I had only flown for 30 mins in the last four months, due to my little mishap at Rhosilli.
We stopped at a restaurant near the airport for a meal on the way to Brett?s place and I ordered a large pizza thinking of the puny things we get back home, big mistake, I had forgotten about the size of the meals over there, it was about the size of a dustbin lid, and I failed miserably.
The next stop was Brett?s new place near Sorica, pronounced Soritsa in the mountains above Lake Bohinj, at one time it was a hunting lodge for game, now used by thermal hunters of the paragliding variety, after we unloaded the gliders and kit of the other pilots we headed down to Lake Bohinj where we were staying to unload, unwind, and look forward to the next days (hopefully) flying.

Friday 15th Lijak
We sat having breakfast on the veranda of the hotel, soaking up the awesome views of the mountains around the lake, things could be a lot worse I thought, yeah right, things couldn?t be much better at that moment, chill time, john phoned Brett who said that we probably wouldn?t be flying that day but to drive up to the house anyway, we duly arrived to find that conditions had improved and that we would travel south to Lijak to fly the ridge, great I thought my first flight this year at a site I have flown before to settle my nerves, when we got to Lijak there were no gliders in the air so we had lunch then headed for Kovk to try our luck there, it was not to be, we were treated to the spectacle of an thunder storm on the next ridge to us, with big Cu Nim sucking all the nearby air towards it, ok I thought maybe not a good idea to fly here at the moment, which thankfully was the general consensus, so we decided to head back to Lijak to see if it was flyable there.
As we approached Lijak we could see quite a number of gliders in the air, and some pilots at the landing field, so we drove to the car park then walked to takeoff to join the throng of pilots there, unpacked clipped in and took off for an excellent flight in the thermic conditions there, though it was quite scratchy lower down with a lot of pilots trying to work the narrow lift band, the air above the ridge was much easier to fly and I enjoyed a 40 min flight playing in the air above takeoff until the lift shut off and I headed to the landing field to join the other pilots, great I thought a perfect first day.

Saturday 16th Gerlitzen Austria
I was really looking forward to flying in Austria and I wasn?t to be disappointed. Gerlitzen is an spectacular place to fly with a huge top to bottom flight but no great height gains due to airspace just overhead, but what a flight take off is at the top of the mountain after 2 cable car rides to get there, my first flight was fantastic a long glide out over the lake heading towards the landing field, then I spent about 10 mins themaling above the castle on the far side of the lake before touching down on the landing field after a 30 min flight. John had mentioned that he had been chased out of the air by thunder storms on his previous visits there, not today I thought, but I was wrong when we got to the top of the mountain again for our next flight conditions were starting to worsen in the valley in front of take off Cu Nim were building ad rain squalls and a gust front were approaching us so we headed to the restaurant to sit it out, not bad I thought 2 thunder storms in 2 days but we flew yesterday once we got away from it so I was optimistic.   Then the storm hit us and we were treated to a first class sound and light show for the next couple of hours, when it had passed over and things had settled down again we headed to takeoff to check things out, the wind had switched to the other side of the ridge by this time and we would launch towards the cable cars, ok i thought  as long as I crab to the left after I take off no problem, the wind was quite strong so I reverse launched after some of the other guys and started to head to the left away from the cable cars and trees, it was at this point that the weather gods decided to have a little fun with me, firstly I lost about 50ft altitude hmm getting quite close to the trees now but still ok, next I lost part of my left wing I recovered then I lost part of  the right wing then some more height, sheet I thought though I wasn?t so much scared as embarrassed at the thought of draping my glider over a pylon/tree I will never live it down I thought, so I crabbed more to the left looking for more ground clearance, but the sky gods still hadn?t finished with me and the followed a few more collapses until they took pity on me and guided me out over the lake for an thankfully uneventful and peaceful glide to the castle again then the landing field, where a swift change of underwear was needed, 20mins of quite interesting flying this time, thanks John what a mate for sharing your thunder storm with me.

Sunday 17th Kovk
This was the day of the big skies and also the day that our lady pilot put the big boys to shame.
We arrived at kovk after passing Lijak where there didn?t seem to be much activity to try our luck there, conditions were strong thermic with big height gains to be had and maybe even jump the gap and head to Lijak, not an easy prospect from this side, one because the ridge is lower this side and two because the wind was not in our favour either, some of the guys got away before conditions got too strong and headed for the gap, John among them to try to get across and though he battled valiantly on I think 3 attempts he didn?t quite make it and got drilled about 2/3 of the way across and had to fly back to our ridge, well done mate valiant effort.
In the meantime the rest of us sat on the hill and parawaited for the wind to drop enough to allow us to take off, in the meantime the acro boys showed  their skills and much more heavily loaded acro wings who could launch perform acro and land in the strong conditions, while some of the local pilots entertained us by showing us how not to launch in strong conditions and got blown all over takeoff.
 It was at this point that a petit lady pilot who incidentally had cracked some ribs just a few weeks before, and was also light on her glider, laid out, clipped in, performed a perfect reverse launch and took off to the cheers of all and sundry, well done Liz you are an exceptional pilot and you showed the boys how to do it.
I must admit I was pretty scared of the prospect of flying big skies again, with having so little airtime this year so far, but watching Liz?s take off made me realize what a wuss I was and helped me to get my head sorted and fly myself, well I?m glad I did because the conditions were perfect by then and I had a first class flight in the thermic lift, and only landed because my shoulder was aching quite badly by then, still 50mins and a big grin on my face said it all.

Monday 18th
Chill out day.
I decided to have a chill out day today, to rest my shoulder and recharge my batteries for hopefully more flying on the last couple of days, John drove off to meet the other guys and I took a walk around the lake, firstly to get the lie of the land have a look at the takeoffs and check for bomb out landing places just in case, and secondly to do a bit of the tourist stuff, take some pictures, try out my limited Slovenian phrases on the locals, and watch for their hopefully appreciative responses (oh no another bloody tourist).
 I met up with John, who had returned because it was not flyable today, on my second lap of the lake (getting a bit hot and sweaty by now) and we decided to sample the cuisine at the lakeside restaurant, accompanied by a couple of long cold beers, and boy did I need them.
It was at this point that John the observant fellow that he is told my to hurry outside and take a picture of the cloud formation on the far side of the lake (it was giving us the finger) and that said it all, definitely no flying today.
We met up with some of the others that evening, who had decided to have a meal in the village, we spent a couple of pleasant hours there watching the moon come up, looking forward to hopefully flyable day tomorrow.

Tuesday 19th
Lake Bohinj
Yes finally conditions were looking good for flying the lake, I had been hoping that we would have a chance to fly here before we went home, we all piled into the minibus for the drive to the top of the mountain, and the walk to the lower takeoff, I wasn?t disappointed the views were stunning and the launch looked straightforward and not too difficult, so keen person that I was I unpacked, clipped in and was first in the air to get a feel for the place, in the site brief Brett told us to keep in fairly close to work the lift, gain some height, then push out along the ridge to the right, top up then maybe explore across the lake, part one was fine I took off and started to work the lift around takeoff, this is where the plan started to fall apart and I realized that the sky gods had just received their sacrifice (ME) and it wasn?t long before I was heading for the landing field but with a big grin on my face, I cant think of a better place to bomb out.
After I landed conditions improved (what a surprise) the sky gods had been appeased, and some of the other guys were pushing out along the ridge, some good flights were had and some big grins were on display on the landing field, well done lads.
The guys who had landed first made their way back to takeoff to have another go, of course by this time the wind had picked up was blowing across takeoff right to left, and gust fronts were approaching and making pretty patterns on the lake (the sky gods must really have it in for me) so we sat it out for a few hours until conditions improved, which they did about 5pm, then the air became virtually still with little thermals bubbling through now and then, so we all launched one by one and headed safely down to the landing field.
We had a meal at the lakeside restaurant that evening, and were entertained by the Trout (Piranha) who were voracious feeders and could reduce a whole Pizza to nothing in about 30secs, it was at this point that yours truly decided that it was time to cool off and have a dip in the lake, you will note that I had the good sense to wait until the others had finished their meals, not to put them off, and I had a pleasant swim in the cool waters with at one eye at all times on the Trout (I remembered that Pizza and wasn?t taking any chances).
All in all it was a great first days flying at the lake for me.

Wednesday 20th
Lake Bohinj again
 Today looked more promising and conditions more stable, so we headed once more for the lower takeoff, incidentally the cable car to the top of the mountain on the other side of the lake and upper takeoff was not running, hopefully next time, so we laid out and took off as before, Mark was the first away and started finding lift and worked along the ridge to the right, things were looking good, so one by one we took off only to find that the early expectations were not to be, I worked the air for a while but once I dropped below takeoff I couldn?t regain any height, but a good flight anyway and 20mins airtime.
We made our way back to takeoff to have another go but it was not to be the wind had picked up again and was off the hill by 45 to 90 deg so we decided to call it a day and head back to the landing field.
That evening we had a BBQ at Brett?s place and the others guys were subject to the dubious cooking skills of yours truly (well at least they all survived) and we had an excellent evening together to finish off the trip.

Thursday 21st
The long voyage home
The minibus was in for repairs so myself and John had to blag a trailer from the hotel (we did ask first honest) to carry the our rear to the airport, the journey was not without incident but we all duly arrived safe and decided to have a meal at a nearby restaurant while we waited for the flight, once again I ordered a Pizza (do you see a pattern forming here) aha I thought remembering the first one I will order a small one this time I should manage that (wrong) it could have fed the whole table, and I failed miserably again.
Anyway we got to the airport without further incident, unloaded our gear, and bid farewell to Brett and thanked him for an excellent weeks flying and company, which was as always first class, then the dreaded check in, and remembering my little incident on the way out where the staff cast suspicious eyes on my carry on bag and asked me to put it in the gauge to see if it would fit, well John had got it in that time with a little persuasion we had packed a coffee jar in the dammed thing which, firstly, caused it to jam and it took 3 of us to try and extricate the bloody thing along with the helpful suggestion that we may take the gauge with us, and secondly, caused me to have a panic attack at the thought of arriving in Slovenia with only the clothes I was wearing (never a dull moment in my life) this time I managed to wing my way through check in by talking gibberish, the old standby always works.
The flight home was fairly uneventful, though we did encounter some turbulence over the alps which had caused the flight to be a little late taking off, we got through customs and here is where I  managed my biggest boob of the trip, not paying attention as usual I thought I heard John say that we would meet the other guys at the long stay car park (I?m really sorry guys I?m not the type to just walk off without saying goodbye and it really upset me) So here belatedly is my goodbye and apologies, and I want to thank you all for helping to make this holiday one I will always remember, thanks guys you are the best.

So all in all another first class paragliding holiday in Slovenia
We flew 5 days out of 7 on 4 different sites
And brett once again proved to be a first class Guide/host, thanks mate keep up the good work
And finally watch this space for our trip planned for next year, we plan to trailer/van our Motorbikes and Gliders to Slovenia for 2 weeks of biking and flying.

Take care; see you all on the hill real soon.
Humphrey.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 16:58:27 PM by russ skydancer »

russskydancer

Sky Dancers Sorties
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 09:57:59 AM »
Sat 23rd June 07
Rhosilli
I was in two minds about flying today the forecast wasn't very good, but a phone call from my flying buddy john Nash decided it, thanx mate really good call  :-D
Got to the hill about 10:15 just in time to see John take off, the wind strength and direction was good though visibility was a little iffy due to orographic condensation above the hill, or to us flying guys white stuff  :lol:, but decided to have a go, there were a couple of other pilots on take off laying out their kit, i got unpacked and clipped in in next to no time due to my week in Slovenia (report to follow) where we had lots of practice.
I took off pushed forward from take off and found that the air was very buoyant and smooth, perfect i thought for a nice chill out flight  8-) as i climbed a couple of hundred feet above take off visibility was getting worse due to the cloud, also there was quite noticeable cloud suck, and i had lost sight of John who was at the far end of the ridge, so i used big ears to drop below the cloud to be on the safe side, John landed shortly after so i had the sky to myself for a while, and pushed out along the ridge, cloud was getting thicker and thinner in cycles, so used big ears a few times to maintain good visibility, while i was at the far end of the ridge two light aircraft in close formation appeared overhead towards Llangeneth and started doing aerobatics  :-o, hmm OK i thought maybe time to head back to take off as they were disappearing into the clouds looping the loop, better be safe than sorry, but they soon flew away and i had the sky to myself again.
Conditions improved soon after the cloud cleared and had an very enjoyable 2 hours+ flight, while i was in the air my phone rang several times and i must admit that i felt a little guilty for not phoning some of the guys to let them know it was flyable  :-( John soon rejoined me in the air along with 2 other pilots, though Gareth Pawan didn't take off as the wind had increased by this time, i flew above the raised beach for most of the flight, to keep away from the compression zone above the hill, oh yes i remember  :-o i got to about 1200 asl near the caravan park, and also entertained the visitors at Rhosilli as the air was very lifty there and managed to fly over the village a few times.
All in all a grand day out, john managed about 2 1/2 hours airtime well done mate  :-D also my good friend Steve Bain, who had arrived while i was packing up and also had a good flight  :-D
My shoulder is quite sore as i write this, but it was definitely worth it  :lol:
See you all on the hill real soon, and remember the best pilot is the one with the biggest smile on his face  :-D safe flying.
Humphrey.

russskydancer

Sky Dancers Sorties
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 17:12:56 PM »
Fri 8th June 07
Rhosilli revisited.
Got to hill about 13:00 with mixed feelings, anxiety and excitement of having my first flight since the accident, at the same site where it happened, and once again i was the only pilot on the hill  :|walked to the top of the hill and set the rucksack down, by now i was shaking like a motorbike with nerves, so sat down for a while to calm myself, focus and get my head together, the view helped a lot as it always does, it also helped me to remember why i Paraglide its because i love the sport  :-)
The wind when i arrived was SW about 8MPH so i decided to do some ground handling for a while and hope that things would improve, the ground handling helped to settle my nerves and also to get the feel of the glider again, by now the wind had picked up to 10MPH and was also more westerly so i decided to have a flight even if only a top to bottom, the take off was fine and i started doing beats along the part of the hill near the trig point, it was quite scratchy at first but the lift increased after a little while so i decided to have a flight to hill end and test the air over there which was about the same, so i headed back to the takeoff and arrived about a 100 ft or so below it so i worked the lift which was by now much better and soon got above the hill, by now my shoulder was aching a bit so i decided to top land, again a little nervy but a good landing thankfully  :-)
I had a 30 min flight the first since the accident and as my shoulder was a little sore i decided to call it a day, feeling much happier in myself that i had finally got back into the air.
A few other pilots were arriving as i was walking down the hill, Chris Dusgate amoung them who suggested flying here today, cheers mate good call  :-D
See you all on the hill real soon.
Humphrey.

russskydancer

Sky Dancers Sorties
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 14:14:19 PM »
Sat 24th Feb 07
checked the weather sites and decided to have a look at Rhosilli, the web cam was giving a reading of 9MPH, but other weather sites were saying 16-18MPH, i've suspected for a while that the Rhosilli web cam gets its data from the Turbot Bank Bouy as the readings are always the same.
Got to Rhosilli about 11AM the wind was quite strong in the church car park, not a good sign and by the time i had walked to the pimple and did a wind check it was blowing at 18-22MPH westerly, a bit strong but i decided to give an hour or so to see if the wind would drop :-)  it eased off at times to about 14MPH but was gusting to about 24MPH, i laid my glider out just in case it settled, but it was like trying to hang on to a bucking bronco, so i decided (wisely) to pack it away as by this time the gusts were coming through strong, some Hangies turned up and rigged while i was packing away, and one took off as i was walking off the hill  :cry: so my Rhosilli curse has hit again, ive only managed 2 flights out of the last 10 visits, is it just me or do some of you other guys have the same problem, never mind the scenery is always first class at Rhosilli, so its never a wasted day  :-D
Hopefully better luck next time   :wink: oh a piece of advice dont depend on the Rhosilli web cam for accurate local wind speed, as i mentioned above i think its getting its data from the Turbot Bank Bouy, never mind gotta keep on smiling  :lol: see you all on the hill soon

Humphrey.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 14:23:01 PM by russ skydancer »

russskydancer

Sky Dancers Sorties
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 17:37:06 PM »
Sat 17th Feb: Heol Senni
checked the weather forcasts and decided to have a look at Heol Senni, as the wind was NE, phoned a few people to find out if anyone else was out today.
As i was aproaching Fan G i could see cloud sitting on the top of the hill, not a goos sign  :cry: but drove on anyway, got to the hill about 10:30 which was covered in cloud, so was everything else  :| but decided to sit it out and see if it would clear, then i walked to the top of the hill (in the cloud) with my wind meter but without my glider, to check wind strength and direction, which was bang on the hill 12-14MPH, just my luck i thought, again, walked back to the car, in the meantime the cloud had started to clear a little, so decided to take my glider up the hill (hopefully) and see if it would clear, which it did'nt, so walked back to the car in time to meet up with Dave Birch, who suggested we sit it out, which we did and lo and behold, it cleared (thanks Dave you are my lucky charm) walked back up the hill (again) and had an excellent 1hrs soaring in the dynamic lift with some small thermals coming through every so often, got about 450ft ATO, but the wind picked up quite strong so decided to land behind the wall (much safer and no barbed wire fence, oh yes i remember  :-o )
Gareth Pawan arrived as i was walking up, and he had a couple of flights, also Tom Garner who demontrated his excellent ground handling, and who was still flying as i left the site (a really good pilot he will go far)
So all in all a good day out, looking forward to more flyable days now as the spring aproaches, see you all on the hill soon  :lol:

Humphrey.

russskydancer

Sky Dancers Sorties
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 16:21:59 PM »
Moel Feity Sat 03/02/07
Read the weather reports on the web site and decided to have a look at Heol Senni, on the way to the site John Nash phoned me and we arranged to meet at the car park across the road from the Tafern-y-Gyrug pub, got there about 11am, had a chat with John then decided to have a look on the hill, driving up towards Fan G i could see the inversion layer below me, not a good sign  :cry: and when we got to Heol Senni, there was virtually no wind so decided to wait in the cars for a while to see if conditions would improve, not a chance and the wind there was there, was coming down the hill towards us.
We had been chatting about our upcoming trip to Slovenia in June this year, so i thought this would be the ideal day to get some forward launching practice at Moel Feity, when we got there we met up with Gareth Pawan and his wife, also Gary a mid wales pilot who i first met at Rhew Wen last year, they had the same idea and had been launching off the hill earlier, so i decided to give it a go myself :-D I forgot how exhausting top to bottoms were but soon remembered  :cry: but John was on hand to give me some first class coaching advice  :-D (thanks for that John) the first couple of attempts left a bit to be desired, but got it right eventually but will practice some more before we go to Slovenia.
By this time i was feeling a bit Dehydrated so we decided to call in at the Gwyn Arms for some well earned refreshment  :wink:
So all in all a day well spent with forward launching practice, which i sorely needed, looking forward now to next weekend, and, hopefully, some good flying conditions.
See you all on the hill  8-)
Humphrey.

russskydancer

Sky Dancers Sorties
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 11:18:31 AM »
Sat 27/01/2007 Foch Rhiw
The Weather sites were saying that the wind direction was northerly so decided to have a look at Rhew Wen, arranged to meet Will Kenyon and Gareth Pawan at the car park at 10:30, when i got there the wind was on the hill but so was the cloud visibility was zero  :cry: but waited for Will to show up and see if the cloud would clear, Will in the meantime was talking to Ivor on his moby, who said that pilots were flying at Merther, so we decided to have a look over there but opted for Foch Rhiw instead, (a) because the wind was NW and (b) because the roads are better, got there about 12:00, saw some pilots flying as we approached so things were looking good.
When we got to take off winds were averaging about 15mph NW perfect and 1 or 2 other pilots had just taken off so we decided to give it a go, wind had increased slightly by this time but still ok to take off, my lack of flying in the last couple of months showed, so spent a bit of time ground handling to  shake off the cobwebs, then took off for a nice 1 hours soaring, dynamic lift was good and got to about 300ft ATO, there was also some thermic activity so pushed out towards the tips in front of the hill to try and work it, it was light 1 to 2 ups but not constant and started to lose height so headed back to the main ridge, by this time the wind had picked up and i was the only glider in the air, but played around for a bit longed until my fingers started to go numb, then landed on the top of the hill going slowly backwards, pulled the glider down and had to run back towards it to recover it to stop being dragged, but got it sorted.
Will flew for a short while as well, and tried to take off again later but conditions were really strong by then, so we decided to call it a day, my first flight of the year and i really enjoyed but also brought home how rusty my skills had become with no flying for the last month or so, so time to get more practice in i think  :roll:
Found out later in the day Nick had flown at Seven Sisters with a small triangle, well done and someone had flown at Rhosilli, looking forward to next weekend now and hopefully more flying.
Humphrey.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 15:53:18 PM by russ skydancer »