Author Topic: Steve B's flying Diary 2007  (Read 7531 times)

Offline Steve Bain

• SWWSC Treasurer
  • Website member
  • +/-
    • http://www.pisys.net
  • Airtime: 100-500 Hours
  • Glider Type: Paraglider
  • Pilot Rating: Pilot
Re: Steve B's flying Diary 2007
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 19:34:22 PM »
Bryncaws - 20th October. Met with Humphrey and headed up quite early with John Nash following us about 10 mins later. Did some ground handling in light winds before heading off for my first and last flight of the weekend. Flew across to the left and got some height then back across to take off. This went on for about 9 or 10 mins before I realised I was not paying attention to my height and I had got quite low, but I still thought I could scratch back up for a slope landing further down. However the wind had suddenly gone off to the SSE and had gone very light, I made a very silly error and turned downwind with very little height left I realised I was going to hit the ground hard. I have once hit the ground this fast when I was learning and got away with it, but as I hit the ground I tripped and fell onto a huge boulder which hit me in the right hand side of my ribs winding me badly. After getting up and climbing a little way back up the hill I realised I had really hurt my ribs. A quick call to John and Humphrey soon brought them to my rescue and a couple of hours later in Morriston A&E the doc said I had cracked two ribs!! I am really angry with myself for making a very very silly mistake and it shows how a split second wrong decision and you can really hurt yourself. Doc says 6 weeks to get better, but I will be hoping to be back on the hill ASAP! Thanks for all the nice calls guys! See you soon, Steve. :-)

Offline Steve Bain

• SWWSC Treasurer
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2007, 18:17:03 PM »
1 Sept - Rhossili.

Arrived at 10.15am to find perfect Westerly Wind 11 mph. A few gliders already in the air so got setup and headed off into lovely gentle conditions. Spotted Humphrey over by the caravan site so headed over and shouted Hello! Enjoyed about 40 mins soaring but due to having the man flu for the past few weeks and not having much for breakfast I felt rather weak so landed and had some food and water. John Nash landed shortly after so had a nice chat with him before we headed off again for a photo shoot with my glider (Thanks John!). Meanwhile Humphrey was still flying so joined him again this time over the Worms Head Hotel. Went back over to the caravan site and had some fun flying along the ruins and exploring the hillside closer than I normally would due to my increased confidence in the glider. Landed again after hovering over the pimple (this time for a pee!) before heading off on a quick flight. Landed becuase I had run out of energy. John Munro appeared and had a quick flight before the wind started to pick up. Waited a while for the wind to drop, but it didn't however we were in for a great surprise when Nick Roberts appeared on the pimple! Great to see you Nick! Packed up and enjoyed a nice bream tea with John N, Humphrey, Nick and John M. Total airtime 1 hr 35mins.

Offline Steve Bain

• SWWSC Treasurer
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 10:17:09 AM »
27 August - Rhiw Wen

Arrived with Humphrey and met Steve J and Phil C waiting for the gusts to calm down. Shortly after the wind started to drop so we all headed off from take off. Decided to follow Steve J who by now was getting some good height down the Western part of the ridge so followed Humphrey who was already heading that way. Had some nice lift over a small quarry before the wind seemed to shut off and I bombed out a few k's from take off. Steve J had disappeared (well done!) but Humphrey thoughtfully landed beside me to keep me company on the walk back. Got back to the car park and had an ice cream just as Steve J rang, so went to pick him up. Waited back on take off for the wind to drop and we all had a nice final flight to round off the day.

Offline Steve Bain

• SWWSC Treasurer
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 13:43:05 PM »
Rhossili 9th August - A very relaxed flight in perfect conditions. 2 hrs 10 mins. About six gliders in the air and I think they may have been from a school which is great to see new pilots getting great flying in Wales! Landed on the beach next to my family who were visiting from Scotland. Hopefully I will have some time soon to get some inland flights. Cheers!

Offline Steve Bain

• SWWSC Treasurer
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 22:57:50 PM »
Rhosilli 28th July - Arrived at 12.30, later than I had hoped for to find 7 gliders in the air and a queue on the pimple to launch! Waited to see Humphrey before enjoying a lovely 1.5 hour flight. Managed to fly with Humphrey over the caravan site at about 800amsl wing to wing which was superb! Counted about 20 gliders in the air and enjoyed watching a pilot do a full collapse and spirals over the beach -scary! Rounded the day off with a nice half in the Worms Head with John Nash and Humphrey. Also great to see Garath and John Pope. :-D

Offline Steve Bain

• SWWSC Treasurer
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 15:46:57 PM »
Rhosilli - 8th July - Arrived to find around 5 gliders in the air. I think it may have been a school as they all had red ribbons. Anyway launched from the pimple and headed off for the caravan site. Enjoyed some quite boyant air for 30 mins before I noticed some big black clouds coming our way. Was over the caravan site when I felt some rain so headed quickly down to the raised beach in front of the caravan site and then flew back along it to the white house before landing on the beach. It started pouring about 2 mins later so quickly packed up and got a nice soaking walking back to the car. My first experience of feeling rain while flying!  :-o

Offline Steve Bain

• SWWSC Treasurer
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 20:55:41 PM »
Rhossili - 23rd June - Arrived later than planned to find John Nash flying and he mentioned that Humphrey had just landed on the beach. Had a quick chat with Gareth P before heading off for a 36 min flight which was smooth until I noticed the white horses appearing on the sea so had to land on the beach as my ground speed had dropped to 2 mph at one point! Walked back up but it had picked up to 20 mph so waited for a while before heading to have a nice pint and a chat with John.  :-D

Offline Steve Bain

• SWWSC Treasurer
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 22:02:48 PM »
Rhossili 11th June. Decided to go to Rhossili after a busy day at work! Got on the top (not the pimple) at 7.00pm and found Paul H getting ready to go. Quickly grabbed the kit and within a few mins I was on the long glide to the beach with Paul. Managed a few beats stayed up for 17 mins which wasnt bad considering the lack of wind! Anyway at least I had a flight! Normally stuck in the office wishing up was up Fan G!!  :-)

Offline Steve Bain

• SWWSC Treasurer
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 22:29:59 PM »
Rhossili 20th May. Arrived at 1.30pm to find 6 gliders in the air and 2 hang gliders. Within 30 mins I counted 11 gliders and 6 hang gliders! Enjoyed smooth conditions for 1hr 40mins before I spotted the white horses appear on the sea so landed in quite strong wind.  Thought that was it for the day but ended up having a flight in a small plane from Swansea airport. Took the controls and flew along the gower coast before doing a nice 60deg bank around Mumbles lighthouse and then landing. All in all a great day!  :-D

Offline Steve Bain

• SWWSC Treasurer
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 20:05:14 PM »
Heol Senni - March 24th - New Glider had finally arrived but found conditions up top quite windy, so decided to have small top to bottom to get the first flight out of the way. Most enjoyable, but didn't expect the glider to be so different from the Matrix. Enjoyed watching the pro's flying before Nick and Gareth landed nicely by the cars and Ivor gave me some great tips about my new Altix harness!

Fan G - April 6th - Not much wind so ended up doing a top to bottom and 2nd flight under the belt on the Epsilon... really like the glider.

Fan G - April 9th - Headed for Seven Sisters with Nick, Steve J, Gron and Mike. Watched the pro's again go for it in strong conditions, waited until it calmed before having a great 3rd flight around the bowl then as the wind dropped headed for the car park, but didn't quite make it. Thanks Mike for the lift up the track.

Rhossili - April 18th - Arrived 6.00pm to find Paul leaving after enjoying some nice flying. Legged it up to the pimple to find a hang glider preparing to launch. Checked the wind grabbed my kit and launched to find lift everywhere. Went up and up so got a chance to try big ears, spirals and a good blast on the speed bar. Flew up and down the ridge well out over the beach and then flew quite far over the caravan site which I have not done before. Wind started to pick up after 50 mins so landed up top after a very enjoyable flight and delighted with the fact that I bought a brilliant glider!

Offline Steve Bain

• SWWSC Treasurer
  • Website member
  • +/-
Steve B's flying Diary 2007
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 21:30:47 PM »
Hi All,

After getting up early today I headed for Bryncaws to find it blowing NE at 23mph! Rather gutted I waited for 1 hour before heading up to Heol Senni for a walk (still trying to get rid of all that Xmas Turkey!). After a cracking walk over Heol Senni  I had to head back to Swansea as Natasha was planning on buying a kitchen so thought I better get back before she broke the bank! Low and behold I spotted a glider (tomg) at Bryncaws on the way back, so a quick detour was needed as I ran up the hill to join Tom only to get 15mins flying before the wind picked up to 20mph. Anyway it blew the cobwebs away as it was my first flight this year and perhaps the last flight on my Matrix as hopefully my Epsilon 5 should arrive before the weekend....please let it be flyable!!

See you all on the hill soon.