Author Topic: Stu Flew 2016  (Read 5066 times)

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
  • Airtime: 100-500 Hours
  • Glider Type: Paraglider
  • Make of glider: Ozone Rush 4
  • Pilot Rating: Pilot
Re: Stu Flew 2016
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2016, 11:54:21 AM »
26-10.   Lijar SE.   Rush 4

Looks promising and a very busy launch, but nobody willing to take the plunge. With the odd vulture out front I take off and am able to stay up, searching wide and finding light lift but only taking me a few 100ft ato.

I have spent the last few weeks flying without vario/GPS and the new one arrived so it's nice to hear the reassuring beeps again👍

Soon the masses are airborne and with no improvement in height gains I push out to land after 30mins.Busy in the air with no height for an XC I take a sweaty walk back to the village.

Decided I need to get fitter so yesterday with strong winds in Algo I joined a small group of friends for a 16km circular walk around the foothills of Grazalema, taking in some beautiful cork forests and various wildlife.

Hard work but going to try and keep it up as there are so many beautiful routes to do around here👍

« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 11:56:01 AM by Stu Kelly »
"If you were born without wings,do nothing to prevent them from growing;)"

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2016, 14:39:42 PM »
21/10/16.  Algodonales.   Rush 4

Been busy and missed writing my logs since mid Sep. Since last post I have  clocked up 21 flights and 32hrs. Mainly from Lijar in Algo but also flying Montellano, El Bosque, Lucena and Matalascanas.

Memorable flights on 27/09 a cracking 4.5 hr flight off Poniente. Never getting more than 20km from launch but heading East then West and South, taking in Zahara lake from above high on final glide at 7:30. Landing at Montecorto only a short leg needed back to to Olvera to complete a decent triangle. Still a great flight with a 54km track.

On 1st October a nice sky and Westerly took me just short of 50km East to land at Martin la Jarra. It looked like an epic long day ahead but with purposely staying low and crosswinding to avoid airspace I decked it early.

On 7th Oct a fun flight with no altitude leaving mountain. A suprising27km which involved low saves and ridge soaring to get that distance. Thinking I was landing at end of mountain. Made it to past Olvera and the bar Rio Corbones half way to Almargen. Never got much more than TO height after leaving the mountain.

I love these flights that are not easy and concentrate you with the task of staying off the ground.

I am taking photos from air and ground of Bar/ Restaurant landings along the main roads for easy retrieves and stress free no walk landings.
Will put out my guide when I have enough😂

Catch you all at the Xmas Party in December and bring nice weather as I'm bringing my wing over.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 18:11:00 PM by Stu Kelly »

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2016, 23:48:24 PM »
15/09.   Lijar W.   Rush 4

2 Days after some rain and a cold front and the air is a lot cooler with a NW 'er.  A bit sporty aswell😁😁 Our low airtime pilots are down in or around the west landing and I fly to the end of the mountain with the last in ever increasing strong rough air. 1 hr 10

Talk in the bar later was "was it rough up there today ?" Yes it was👍 No where nr as high as last week but much colder, gloves welcome.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 23:49:31 PM by Stu Kelly »

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2016, 09:42:05 AM »
13/9/16. Lijar SE.  Rush 4

A low airtime CP Plus group this week. We get some weird weather where it's windy in the morning and cross at every site we visit.

In the afternoon it's light and pulling up every side of the mountain. We favor the Levante launch and it's an amazing evening flight with clients doing their first thermalling flights and getting up to 9000ft asl. Beautiful views and some happy faces in the bar for a debrief later.

A talented group of new pilots. Looking forward to the rest of the week.

2hr 10
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 09:51:50 AM by Stu Kelly »

Offline Gron Jones

• SWWSC Sites Officer
  • Website member
  • +/-
  • Glider Type: Paraglider & Hang glider
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2016, 12:37:39 PM »
Hi Stu ....... Regarding 04/09 ..... Did you actually use the word "work" ?

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2016, 01:44:19 AM »
04/09.   Lijar SE.   Rush 4

Back in work today. With the first guided group of the season. Some pilots who like XC and we manage a small triangle around the hill 1 hr 40

05/09. Lijar SE . Rush 4

A great day with climbs above 11 000ft . The majority of our group get away together and it's game on. PB's for most. Including me with a client Andy we fly a 72km FAI triangle taking towards Puebla la Cazalla, Moron to the East, Montellano, Puerto Serrano then home bound to Algo.

5hrs magical flying and my favorite flight to date👍 It's my first decent triangle and great to take in so much Andalucain Campo. Landing and spiraling down at Levante field it was hard to get down. Tired eyes had kicked in😂 And enough is enough. Great day👍
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 01:47:18 AM by Stu Kelly »

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2016, 22:41:03 PM »
1/09.  Lijar SE.  Rush 4.

Looks like a good day. I Rush off first on my own after taking off into a crazy quick climb out. A glide over the village and I get bits that get me to Puerto Serrano. Setting up for landing nr the petrol station I get a rough low save and the drift changes towards Villamartin.

Never getting any height from here but lots of really low rough saves got me another 10km to Villamartin where I hit major sink and a headwind.   24km and 2hrs. Hard rough flying.

02/09.  Lijar SE.  Rush 4

A higher base today at 2200m. No clouds at first flying towards Coripe. I catch up with a gaggle towards a big growing cloud around 20km in but decide to leave at Base and glide downwind into the blue towards Osuna. A long lifty glide with a few turns doesn't really connect with anything decent and I opt for a field. R the A92 nr Puebla la Cazalla. 40km from launch. 2hrs 05 of nice flying

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2016, 01:05:46 AM »
28/08.   El Bosque.   Rush 4

A  nice afternoon and a lot of Spanish pilots turning up. Climbs above the rock above TO up to 1800m👍  2hrs sweet , smooth.

29/08. Lijar W.    Rush 4

It's a great day but with a West wind and some tricky thermals I land at Almargen for 40 Km. Anything beyond this is where the airspace drops😂 It's a shame as my best climb is above the town.  I land after 1 hr 50

30/08. Rush 4.  Matalascanas

It's a long way to Matas, but a strong day inland means a flight at the coast. If you were inclined you could have hrs of soaring. I choose 1 Hr 30 before hitting the banana bar🍸🍻

31/08 Lijar W.   Rush 4

Looks like a great day with SW wind direction. 
But it's light and variable and I land after 28kmin the direction Osuna😁 1hr 50

« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 18:31:38 PM by Stu Kelly »

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2016, 12:36:26 PM »
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 21:45:50 PM by Stu Kelly »

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2016, 12:04:19 PM »
Yes Nick it can get a bit spicy at times, and landing out on the wrong place could be a hot adventure for getting home.

But local pilot Belgian Marc told me he was doing flights above 100km this time last year. Can't wait for it to cool down a bit though. Roll on September/ October.

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
  • Airtime: 500 Hours +
  • Make of glider: Axis Venus SC Small
  • Pilot Rating: Advanced Pilot
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2016, 10:09:24 AM »
Hi Stu

Sounds like conditions are a bit "difficult" out there in the summer heat!
Still, you seem to be getting a lot more flying than we are over here at the moment(lol) ;D

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2016, 19:01:08 PM »
20/08.   Lijar W.   Rush 4

Better day today with a strong Westerly. Slow going at first and turning in Zeros and next to nothing pays off with some strong climbs beyond Olvera up to 7200ft. I get low around 30km mark but patience on an into wind ridge pays off.

Some booming climbs to take me to Almargen where Malaga airspace starts. I try to head North but wind is too strong. Shame for the airspace, This could have been a
Big distance day. 1hr 40 and 40km.

I find out Bob and Marc have landed in the same field a short while before me and have found a lift. David a Spanish pilot from Malaga is heading to Algo and we stuff my wing in the back quick👍  Result .
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 19:04:12 PM by Stu Kelly »

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2016, 18:16:56 PM »
04/08.     El Bosque.  Rush 4

An afternoon flight. I head out with Ross who has family over who would like a tandem flight. I soon realize the air not nice and it's a fair task keeping the wing flying and inflated😬 I climb higher for clearance and push out but it gets rougher.

I radio the boys on the ground and they pack up. After 1hr 15 I'm down at the landing field. Probably the worse air I've ever taken off into, funky as and it's good to be on the ground.

05-08.  Matalascanas   Rush 4
A day at the coast with Ross and his cousins. They get a tandem but it's a bit cross and fast on the home beat. We land on the beach once and have to lug it back up the dunes. Great flying in shorts and vest and top landing at the banana bar for Gin and tonics 🍸🍸 50mins

09/08.  Lijar W.  Rush 4

Lift up to Poniente with the Spanish bus, only 4 of us flying. Air is a bit spicy and wind direction unpredictable? I gain good height 2400m and head off towards the lake Zahara then road to Prado del Rey but hit a headwind soon after and head for the lake for an easy retrieve. 1 hr 10.

17-08.  Lijar W.  Rush 4

Another hot blue sky day and hard with only 4 of us pilots flying. Belgian Marc , Tony and Bob ( x pats) live in Algo and it's good to have company on the hill. It works out with retrieves as they have cars and we pay a Spanish driver for recovering us.

It's not needed today for me as I hit major sink on searching out front. Don't even make the bull ring landing field, putting it down on the plateau above. In 5 years of flying here this is a first for me. It's always XC or the landing field😂😂
15 mins with curses . Nobody does distance bar Marc 20km on his BGD cure. But then he is winning the Spanish XContest league.

19-08.  Lijar W.   Rush 4

Taking off at 2:30 with Marc, Bob and Tony it's the norm for August, blues skies with mystery thermals and lack of vultures. Hard going but we head off the Eastern end together. Tony is down Bob hangs back and me and Marc Push on for Olvera. I get low and the wind is strong so take the easy option of a big field.

Marc is down some 10km on and amazinly Bob flies over my field low but gets a low saving lazy climb out to win the day pushing on with a strong breeze for some 40km.

It's nice to be flying but too hot and quiet here 40 mins airtime 15km from launch.

Hard conditions flying in lonely blue hot August but hopefully that will change with the Spanish nationals held here on the 28th August. It means 150 top pilots fighting it out on these small rocky launches. Should be good for markers in the air as it was in Piedrahita.

I will be out and may try get a job as a wind dummy which will mean  free retrieves.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 18:31:00 PM by Stu Kelly »

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2016, 11:10:56 AM »
02/08. Lijar W.    Rush 4

A small group of pilots are going up the hill with the Spanish outfit C.I.V.A. I decide to join them. Hot up on launch and we launch off together around 2:30. It's hard going at first with total blue skies and no birds.

Drifting East in bits of whatever we can find, not getting any decent height until Olvera.

Low and soaring a ridge some km's beyond Olvera, 3 of us spread out and we find a good one taking us up to around 8000ft.

The wind switches and we hit a NE headwind and plans on open distance are canned. We are not on radios but seem to have the same plan, flying on towards Arriate is quite easy as we have a tailwind but on towards Ronda it gets rough and we hit a Westerly headwind which puts us on the deck.

Great flying with Ramon and Mishal on a 3hr August adventure. It's much easier flying with friends👍and an attempted triangle. Getting 50km round what could have been 80km getting back to Algo.Next time.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 11:27:30 AM by Stu Kelly »

Offline Stu Kelly

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2016, 00:21:10 AM »
27/07/16.  Lijar W.  Rush 4

On launch for 7:30pm and still a bit strong. The vultures don't put in faith soaring around below launch. I go off first, followed by 2 tandem friends and Ross and Fran on Solo. The roughness soon smooths and we enjoy a nice 1 hr before landing in the Bull ring West side.

It's too hot here in the day but enjoying the odd afternoon boat.