Author Topic: Nick's Airtime 2016  (Read 6520 times)

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
  • Airtime: 500 Hours +
  • Glider Type: Paraglider
  • Make of glider: Axis Venus SC Small
  • Pilot Rating: Advanced Pilot
Re: Nick's Airtime 2016
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2016, 20:53:58 PM »

13/11/2016 - Rhossili.

Not a bad day at all at Rhossili today!  The skies were overcast and the wind was a bit on the light side until mid p.m when contrary to the forecast, the breeze came on nicely , proving to be just the ticket for some late Autumn soaring.  Great to see a few others out on the hill.

No sign of those fabled "sea thermals" though (lol) :)

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2016, 20:51:07 PM »
02/11/2016  Rhigos

A nice crisp winters' day.  Arrived at 13:30 with Viv to find super views and a breeze not too strong.  Some rather nice soaring ensued.  I was kitted up in all my winter kit ; full winter suit and mittens and toasty warm in my pod!.   Mid-afternoon, the wind dropped for a  while  just as we were joined by Victor from Abergavenny but magically, the breeze returned, allowing  for some more flying as the sun lowered to the southwest.

A nice warming tea from our friendly man in the wagon to finish and then a superb sunset as we were driving home.

A winter bonus!

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2016, 08:02:40 AM »
30/10/2016  Bryncaws

A bit of flying on a dank and wintry day although still relatively mild for the time of year.  The wind was stubbornly a little off to the east and conditions in the air were a bit skittish but hey ho - all good practice!
A good turnout on the hill and nice to chat to everyone including farmer John Stevens.

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2016, 10:19:52 AM »
21/10/2016  Heol Senni

I was hoping for a bit of soaring but upon arrival -  low cloudbase and no wind!  Steve Millson and Chris White were on the hill with a couple of students and Nasher, Viv and me were the only others.  Viv and me decided on a top to bottom flight with the tandem which was short and sweet but excellent forward launch practice and finished with a super-fast nil wind bottom landing!

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2016, 09:53:07 AM »
10/10/2016  Heol Senni

Not much happening up there yesterday.  There was hardly any wind when Nasher and me arrived but it was a lovely sunny day for a while and there was plenty of chatter on the hill with Des, Steve J, Steve Alexander and 2 other visitors.........however,  clouds were looming large and spreading out to shut off the sun.  A while later, with one eye on   some showers off to the north which seemed to be to be getting closer,  I forward launched and flew down to the bottom landing area.

Not a great flying day but I did manage to retrieve my windsock left on  the hilltop on sunday!

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2016, 20:20:49 PM »
09/10/16  Heol Senni

Lots of pilots out on the hill today.  The clouds seemed to be whizzing by on arrival but once up on the hilltop, the wind seemed to be just fine and a whopping cloudstreet was coming in directly up wind of launch.
The base was a bit low(3000') but Steve Parsons soon hooked into it and was almost out of sight upwind by the time I was ready to take-off.  The street migrated south before I could latch onto it and for a while thereafter, we were in a big blue hole with not much happening.

More streets formed but they were messy.  I made cloudbase at 3500' and maybe should've drifted off over the back but I fancied some into-winding and maybe going downwind a bit later under a higher base and with a few other pilots.  Thereafter ,  the streets seemed to diverge before reaching us and prevented any real progress upwind but after a while,  I found a nice climb with Dave Birch and we set off towards Fan G.  Active clouds lay ahead but disappointingly,  they seemed to die before we reached them, leaving us scrabbling around over largely shaded ground.  We were joined by Pete Lake who managed to reach the windward side of Farteg hill and hang on until the sun returned a bit to help him on his way home towards Ynysmeudwy.  Dave and me landed in the big field below after failing to find a low save over the valley floor which was still in sun.

Visibilty was superb and the air was nicely unstable but it was quite windy at times and this seemed to be chopping up the thermals and conditions were a little hairy here and there.  Large areas of cloud spread blocked the way to the coast but it was a good couple of hours flying which is always a bit of a bonus in October(not many points for the XC league though!).

Big thanks to Dave Birch for coming back in his car  to rescue me from a fruitless hour trying to hitch home from Ystalyfera!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 09:32:12 AM by Nick Roberts »

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2016, 20:33:35 PM »
08/10/16  Heol Senni

Arrived late morning to a low ,grey,  cloudbase(covering the higher peaks) and a rather brisk wind.  It all looked rather wintry so I sat in the car for a while drinking tea and there I stayed until a couple of gliders took to the air.  Up on the hill, the wind was refreshingly light and mellow and the sky soon became rather busy with gliders.  After a little over an hour soaring around and about, I landed down by the car and took out the club tandem for a flight with  passenger Pooja who greatly enjoyed the experience.  I then spent the rest of the afternoon as a passenger for Rhun and Steve W.  The mellow conditions were just right for some tandem training.

A very productive day.

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2016, 22:30:43 PM »
02/10/2016  Cwmafan

At last, a decent flight at Cwmafan :)  Once in while, the hill does indeed work very well!  The wind was light upon arrival so Viv and me walked up to the summit and launched through the gap in the trees.  I had not launched from the top for a few years and  the trees have grown a bit but in  the light conditions, there was just enough wind for us to reverse launch and float out through the gap.  The visibility was superb and small fluffy cu's were forming overhead :)

We tracked around to the right(within a glide to the lower field) and I managed to hook into some weak ,lifty bits and climb progressively upwards and worked my way back up over the summit.  Drifting slowly away from the hill at 3000' amsl, I weighed up the options and decided to head downwind for a bit and then pursue a lifty line southeast  towards Maesteg and return for a triangle(a decision helped by the fact that my car keys were in my pocket...doh!).  Anyway,  the plan worked and I made it across to Maesteg and I could have gone a bit further but I did not want to blow it as another lifty line was present above Margam Forest from where I could make a comfortable downwind return.  I made it back into  the Cwmafan Valley quite easily and decided  to try and extend the flight a bit by gliding  towards Mynydd Dinas but ran out of luck and had to scrabble back to the hill, just making  it into to the lower takeoff  field to land as the wind died away.

A lovely Autumn flight landing back by the car after 1hr 30 mins. The wind was a bit too light to  relaunch
from the Lower field but it was nice to chat to Viv and  Andy Brazier and Steve J who turned up later.  As it turned out, my flight did not quite qualify for an FAI triangle but hey ho  - a great day :)

Offline Ben Armstrong

• Website member
  • +/-
  • Airtime: 100-500 Hours
  • Make of glider: Buzz Z4
  • Pilot Rating: Pilot
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2016, 11:02:39 AM »
Those cu were forming out to sea at Rhossili. I think it was a slab of unstable air above.

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2016, 10:17:14 AM »
22/092016- Merthyr

Arrived with Viv at 12:30 and met Steve J at takeoff.  The enticing cumuli that had been  forming in the sky mysteriously faded away just as a small gaggle flew away from the hill.  Despite the nice breeze on launch, thermal quality was poor and decent height gains proved elusive in the blue conditions.  Also in the air were Evan, Stuart  O  and Andy  the Pole.

Later in the afternoon, with the wind increasing, conditions improved and some hangliders joined us in the air.  Encouragingly, cumuli started to form once more but strangely, the clouds did not seem to provide any lift.  Nonetheless, it was possible to cover a good deal of ground in the locality without committing to a late XC.  I landed just before 17:00 as the wind was becoming too strong and we left the hill to the hangies.

Steve and me then drove to Brecon to pick up Phil C's camper van and return it to his home in Swansea.

A very enjoyable day :)

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2016, 09:07:27 AM »
20/09/2016 - Rhossili

Arrived mid-p.m. with Viv to find conditions rather quiet and no other pilots to be seen.  Walking up to the pimple, a brisk northwesterly breeze came out of nowhere which could have made launching a bit of a challenge but by the time we were ready , the wind had eased to  light and mellow but buoyant enough to fly along the hill, climbing on the northwesterly bits.  After about an hour, as the tide was out, we, and two others who had arrived,  decided to try the cliffs and there  proved to be just enough wind to stay aloft out there for about 30 mins and then scratch back up to the pimple for a top landing.

I sat on the pimple for a while, watching my windsock go limp as the wind died away and contentedly packed up at around 16:30.  Apparently, wind did come back onto the hill a while later for Alan Ross and one other.

Nice :)

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2016, 09:15:54 AM »
18/09/2016 Nant Y Moel

Arrived with Viv just before midday.  The early morning cloudsheet was starting to break up and did not seem to be a precursor to the incoming front due to arrive later.  For a while, the whole area seemed to be in a blue hole and the wind was intermittently brisk making thermic activity rough and unworkable.
 Tandem flying was postponed until later on as we took to the air for a few short solo flights

Around mid p:m, more cloud development appeared ahead of the front and for a while, there was ample lift to be had for everyone and I managed an interesting alle-a-retour to the Garw Valley.  However, cloud was soon to encroach all around  and with cloudbase  lowering, conditions mellowed allowing Rhun and me to fly the club tandem glider.

A good day out on the hill and quite busy with Axis and Pembrokeshire Paragliding both operating smoothly and a fair few pilots from SEW and our club :)

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2016, 08:35:34 AM »
17/09/16 Seven Sisters

At last a decent day at Seven Sisters!  The wind was somewhat brisk but there were regular lulls allowing for the clean launching of the club tandem with passengers Bethan and Jason.  In the air,  the visibility was superb.  The wind, mixed in with autumn thermals did make the air a bit lumpy at times but everyone including some low -airtimers enjoyed some nice height gains out in front of the hill.  I had hoped to do some tandem pilot training with Rhun and Steve W but the wind was a bit strong for that although we did get manage to get some groundhandling practice in the early evening.

A great day and a good turnout on the hill with pilots : - Steve W, Rhun,  Dave S, Steve J, Viv, Leighton and the two Bens. :)

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2016, 22:05:20 PM »
10/09/2016 Ferryside

Legend has it that once upon a time, long ago, a  hanglider flew from Ferryside to Merthyr Tydfil(42 miles!) and this story has always intrigued me and I think that perhaps this flight occurred in Autumn when the seabreeze effect is minimal.  So today, with the tide out and the Danger Area not active at the weekend I thought I'd take a look.   Arriving at 11:30, conditions were quite calm with a light intermittent wind.  I waited for a good while, taking in the fab views from the launch field until a buzzard flew past showing the air to be buoyant enough for me to stay up for a few short flights, top-landing back in the field 8)

Around mid-p.m., the wind kicked in as forecast(windyt) and I did manage to climb to 800' amsl(500' ato) at one point.  I did not manage an XC flight but the flying was very relaxing.  A messy cloud street did appear a good few km to the north and one just to the south which just needed to migrate overhead......so maybe, just maybe..one day ;)

Well worth a visit :)

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2016, 08:44:34 AM »
30/08/2016  Nant Y Moel

Clouds whizzing by in the morning put me off an early start but around midday things seemed(or appeared to!) settle down a little so I thought maybe still too windy for Fan G but maybe worth a trip to Nant Y Moel. 

Arriving mid-p.m. , Rhun and one other were in the air but a fair number were on the ground at the launch area.  Taking to the air with a few others at around 15:00,  the wind was a bit strong and with signs of wave up aloft,  it was with some caution that I climbed up in broken thermals which felt as if they were being suppressed(wave!).  I did manage one climb to 3000' amsl but had already decided not to try and fly XC.

Later in the day,  conditions  smoothed out for a  short while and a few more pilots were arriving for an after work evening flight.  The evening conditions were ok but switching on and off which I felt was perhaps due to the wave effect.

A lovely day and great to chat to everyone on launch.  The flying was ok but not classic 8)