Author Topic: Viv's Blog 2016  (Read 4362 times)

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
  • Airtime: 100-500 Hours
  • Glider Type: Paraglider
  • Make of glider: Gin Atlas X-Alps
  • Pilot Rating: Pilot
Re: Viv's Blog 2016
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2016, 15:30:57 PM »
This year to date; 4 tandem flights, 42 solo. 19hrs 48mins airtime. overall 370 flights, 303hrs 18mins airtime. Thus breaking the 300 hrs milestone. this is my 3rd wing. Next year I WILL leave the hill.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 15:43:57 PM by Viv Birchgrove »
I may as well try to catch the wind - Donovan

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2016, 14:53:01 PM »
13th Nov. Rhossili. go with Nick for just a look, maybe a walk on the beach, but by the time we walk up and lunch the dew has almost dried, the windsock swings round and rises and a few brave souls lob off, I make a few passes along the ridge scratching laboriously up but not gaining height above the top, unwilling to go too deep in the gullies as the wind is off to the North, eventually the sky becomes more overcast and I get my walk on the beach. I think it's game over but after shaking the sand off my second flight is further and higher than before, I loll about doing weightshift and rear riser control, and a textbook approach and landing that nobody saw. Third flight takes me down the cliffs as far as the pub, over the approaching tideline and along the top of the ridge in the brisk wind, galehanging here and there, climbing a bit then pushing out to avoid being blown over the back, the windsock I see is fully pumped and I approach from various directions until I successfully land, then step on a line and trip into a PLF anyway. Nicely uncrowded, plenty of space for all who flew. 1.5 hrs, 3 flights.

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2016, 15:21:18 PM »
2nd Nov. Rhigos. We launch from the plateau and I swoop around to the right around the bowl and out to the edge overlooking the coal mines, and back, hovering in any lift and trying to gauge the depth of the lift band, then as the sun goes behind a cloud it all shuts off and I make it back to t.o. for a free cuppa at the van, Vic turns up and launches from the picnic table end, I go to relaunch but the sun is so low that there is not much hope or lift so I leave it for today. 25 mins.

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2016, 15:43:34 PM »
30th Oct. Bryncaws. Some groundhandling and a hop into the undergrowth in front. I don't feel very buoyant today, though most flew.

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2016, 20:22:11 PM »
20th Oct. Heol Senni. Get home from work to find NickR waiting to whisk me off to fly, a hasty lunch and we hopefully go up the valley, resovoir indicating some wind, Fan G wearing a misty hat though, rain picking the screen, I demur to get my virginal wing out in the soggy undergrowth, opting instead for a tandem top to bottom. A nice surprise to see my old instructor Chris White with Steve Millson, a couple of students and Nasher in full flow as usual. We leave the shelf to them and alpine launch nicely from the top, the wing biting into what little breeze there is, after passing the boys we push out to the road and execute a constant aspect approach to land what we believe to be into wind but as it's nil wind in the landing field we come in quite fast, I get my legs down and have Nick's thighs wrapped around my neck,(!) and the wing flops over in front of us, missing the gorse and accurately where we want to be, near the car for less of a walk. 3 mins if that, good practice for Nick's logbook, and a delight for me, short and sweet.

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2016, 11:23:32 AM »
9th Oct. Heol Senni. Wind on the hill from the top, a practice inflation to see how strong it is, I don't step under quickly enough and the wing tucks and rotates, crashing cell first onto Des who is standing behind. Wait for a large cloud shadow to pass, launch nicely in light wind, head for the quarry and North shoulder, keeping in the sunny area I gain height for a while, beating along the path to the shelf occupied by students then pushing out over the landing zone to the road, as dark cloud streets form and pass I feel the tug up with some turbulence, get back to the hill to scratch up a little, then drift over the cars to land successfully missing the gorse. 45 mins.

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2016, 20:13:22 PM »
2nd Oct. Cwmafan. With NickR driving we are at the trig point amongst the masts at the top for a light wind launch, down through the gap in the trees and beating along above the canopy of pines, I am not bothered by a little turbulence, the wing wants to fly, I turn in lift a few times but eventually land in the lower launch site to find AndyB setting up. The ground is a lot drier than when we arrived, but the fickle wind is either gusting or still, and after a sweaty wrestling match I pack up and go to the top to retrieve the windsock, from where I espy Nick over Margam forest in the last leg of his triangle. I reach the cars to find he has just landed successfully, but the wind is off the hill by now and we never really get up again, though the groundhandling seems a little smoother. We go to pay Eric and are rewarded by the wife clearing out the freezer from their latest guests at the Pod site, bangers and chips all round, yum! 15 mins.

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2016, 09:37:23 AM »
20th Sept. Rhosili. Wind off to the North a bit, and the hill to ourselves, I delay my picnic to take a 45minute flight along the ridge a few times, taking a closer line than I do usually and gaining nice height above the track and venturing further round the campsite. The tide is out so the albedo effect on the beach is good for buoyancy, Nick disappears and I search the campsite to see if he landed there, only to turn and see him cruising the cliffs by the Worm's Head. After a short teabreak more pilots arrive and we all follow suit, going further along the cliffs than ever before, the shelf in front of the pub is a good place to top up height to get back to the pimple, but I fail to gain enough and slide round the front for some dune soaring as the wind dies and join the others on the near empty beach after 30 mins.  We pop into the King Alfred and bump into Rob and Tina who are out for the day. I feel more confident on my wing in stronger breezes now, a great day for my final flight of the summer.

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2016, 10:47:06 AM »
18th Sept. Nant-y-Moel. A lift with NickR has us on the hill for midday, too early for lunch so I parawait in harness for a lull in the brisk wind, 18-22 mph. Rhun, DaveS and SteveJ join us and we all get aloft. My stated aim for the day is to get out over the village and after a few beats across the gully and back I am above mast height and push out, circling here and there but mostly galehanging with grand visibility to the horizon.  The clouds clear and I lose height making it halfway back before I have to make a choice of landing in the bracken or scrubby pasture. I turn into wind to slow down and surge upwards again, thinking this must be a low save I edge towards the hill again but too much input has me ticking from side to side like a metronome, so I plant myself in the waist deep undergrowth and enjoy the afternoon sun while strolling back. A good half hour of active flying.

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2016, 08:04:21 AM »
17th Sept. Seven Sisters. Arrived at 2pm to see 4 in the air, wind 18-22mph, a bit top end for me, after a cuppa and observing conditions I launch in time to catch the 4 o'clock lift in a lull, enjoying a good half hour in buoyant air, pushing out into the valley, gale hanging a bit by the trees, batting up and down the front of the slope and along the track, staying clear of the bowl to the west, nice height with grand views all around, taking time to land well back from the front launch in the thigh deep lush pasture. Nice to see DaveS, NickR, Rhun, SteveW and BenB.

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2016, 10:49:32 AM »
29th Aug. Rhossili. light and southwesterly breeze, I groundhandle til the wind comes on the hill a bit, then have several beats staying out in front and gaining height here and there, land for lunch nicely, then again in the afternoon the wind strengthens and I make several passes at the pimple, it's a busy Bank Holiday and space is at a premium, a last minute bobble means I have to go off the gully and bof poor Chris D with my airbag as I drop over the edge, miraculously a small tiptuck resolves itself and I eventually beach land for a nice stroll in the sun. By the time I walk back up the school has gone and the few who are left enjoy the last flight before the wind picks up. One family is sightseeing on the pimple and I almost sit on the lady's lap as I land nearby and am tugged onto the ferns. They help lug the tandem gear down the hill and show great interest in a flight, but it's too windy and we have a nice pint in the King Arthur. 2 hours total airtime. Best Bank Holiday this year.

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2016, 11:55:52 AM »
26th Aug. Fan G. Wind from the south so we launch from the lower end in regular lulls as forecast, PhilC bobs over from the top and I join Rhun, Quinn, Sparky, Binksy and NickR and Leon in the circuit, beating along the front with strong gusts pulling us up and edging out towards the trees, big sky to play in, a good half hour before I encounter sink too far from the hill to get back to launch, step on speedbar to power through it, and land in a rock free bog. Pack up in a dry spot and squelch back up to lunch at launch, the others have landed and it's too strong for me to relaunch so I drive down to meet Nick at the layby, where I am told "he went that way". I expect a call from Brecon or further afield and am about to drive off for a better signal when he appears over the hill, having thoughtfully landed behind the LZ as it is full of Welsh Blacks, mostly lying down. It takes ages to get the cow marks off the car, where they must have thought it was the feedwagon and covered it with licks and leaned on it.

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2016, 08:58:19 AM »
24th Aug. Fan G. A few inflations in slight breeze, very warm although overcast from lunchtime, Nick goes first to test the air, and stays up, so I reverse launch and after a few beats around the high point I head for the layby in a buoyant glide, landing in the long grass of the field behind the usual landing zone. There are new looking fences up there. 15 mins airtime. A sprinkle of rain passes through to cool things down.

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2016, 21:22:32 PM »
17th Aug. Abernant. A picnic and stroll over the hill while we assess conditions, too windy at first but a small window of opportunity in which to practice our Cobra inflations presents itself, and I launch to cautiously tickle along and back for a few beats, land in a lull as the sky clouds over, lob off again for another scratch up to the end and back, slope land in the ferns below take off to avoid the lines, trees and dump below, lucky there is a nice track within a few feet so I pack up with ease, this lightweight kit is a joy to bear, and Nick retrieves me soon, 10 mins of summer fun.

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2016, 23:07:41 PM »
14th Aug. Fan G. Cloudy with light/nil wind all day, a 5 minute top to bottom, I land near the higher layby and walk down the road to avoid the deep boggy lower field. A nice pint in the AB after.