Author Topic: Toms flying outings.  (Read 16825 times)

Offline Tom Garner

• Website member
  • +/-
  • Airtime: 100-500 Hours
  • Glider Type: Paraglider
  • Make of glider: Sigma 6
  • Pilot Rating: Pilot
Re: Toms flying outings.
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2007, 09:00:19 AM »
Thursday 04th October, Fan Gyhyrich.
Arrived on TO with Steve J to find only 10mph max wind. Had a couple of short hops in light and scratchy conditions before the wind increased allowing easy soaring. There were quite a few weak thermals, some of which were rather rough, giving rise to my first proper assymetric collapse!  :-o :-o
Flew until about 16.30, adding another 1.5h to my airtime on the sigma.
King James I of England on smoking:
"A custom loathsome to the eye, harmful to the brain, damageing to the lungs and in the black stinking fume thereof, nearest resembling the horrible Stygian smoke of the pit that is bottomless."

Offline Tom Garner

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2007, 14:50:36 PM »
Thursday 09th August 2007, Fan Gyhyrich.
Arrived on the hill and parked at the first gate with the idea of minimising the walk up later on! Found it to be quite strong from a northish direction but walked up anyay, meeting another pilot preparing to soar the bowl area. By the time I got to the top the wind had died off to less than 10, so parawaited for a bit. Took off in to some stronger puffs and got to 500ft ATO in some rough disorganised thermals before the wind died again so pushed out with my height but found nothing so ended up just squeaking in on top. I managed a couple more short hops before a street formed overhead completely stopping play.
On cue at 16:00 the wind came up so launched in to good air that very quickly got better, hoovering me up to 1000ft ATO with the vario screaming an 8kt climb without even having to turn. Arrived at base at 2500ft ATO to find very little drift, whereupon I was struck with my usual indecision.  :? I wafted around a bit at this height when I noticed that there were Cu forming with base much lower slightly off to the west and going in a street towards Mrethyr, some kind of convergence perhaps? I was undecided wheter or not to follow the clouds or to head towards Pen Y Fan. I took the latter option, and headed off to a likely looking cloud which I arrived under about 1000ft below, but found only scraps of lift. I again wafted about for a bit before pushing upwind to a forming wispy through some strong sink. I found betteer lift here, but again didnt make it back to base, as it seemed to die off and become more disorganised. Meanwile I noticed the srtreet I was under had almost died, and with the Storey arms disappearing out of view below the mountian I gave that idea up and pushed forward up the Heol Senny valley towards more clouds. I found nothing so went on a glide towards Sennybridge, eventually landing in a freshly silaged field in the valley bottom below the Heol Senny takeoff in absolutely no wind.
Total distance with 2 turnpoints 9.74km, straightline distance 6.07km, not quite a personal best.
The bit I am pleased about however is that I managed to stay up out of rige lift for 55mins using 5 thermals, very good for me!.
Then followed the 2hr uphill walk back :-( after an excellent days flying.
Some pics in the gallery.
"A custom loathsome to the eye, harmful to the brain, damageing to the lungs and in the black stinking fume thereof, nearest resembling the horrible Stygian smoke of the pit that is bottomless."

Offline Tom Garner

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2007, 09:48:21 AM »
Monday 30th July 2007, Graig fawr.
Arrived with Will and met Steve J at TO, with the wind about 12 and off to the north slightly. Took off last on the Sigma 4 and flew gown to the far end of the ridge mixing with some strong but gentle thermals, noticing how "lively" the wing was, although I was having no problems keeping it where it should be, and no collapses. After about 1/2 hour airtime punctuated by a walk back up after I went down the wind had got up to about 15 and the thermals were coming through quite strongly and turbulent, as I started to feel uncomfortable I landed and swapped back to my old Bright, for another 1.5 hrs, getting to 1000ft ATO in some huge and sometimes very rough thermals. I landed just as the wind was getting too strong after struggling to push back up the ridge as Jon arrived.
I think I need to build up my "bump" tolerance a bit, as some of teh turbulence was a bit disconcerting. Not bad for my first proper thermal flying this year. 

Offline Tom Garner

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2007, 16:52:09 PM »
Sunday 8th July 2007, Aberavon dunes.
Arrived early (for me) on Nant y Moel to find the wind blowing 20 plus, but loads of fellow parawaiters. Passed about 3 hrs chatting and watching a model glider racing comp before the SE Wales chaps suggested we go and try the dunes at Aberavon.
Arrived there to find ideal conditions. I hung back to watch the others then took off from the beach to enjoy about half an hour of easy soaring. I was really nice flying without instuments and flying suit etc, and it was different. Landed back on the beach when the wind suddenly picked up, leaving me with little forward speed.
Unforunately the wind stayed up, so had a go an a land board and kite, its a lot harder than it looks! Thanks Sheryl for the lend of the board and Nick for the kite.

Offline Tom Garner

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2007, 10:14:50 AM »
Thursday 7th June 2007, Heol Senny.
Arrived at T/o on my own, soon to be joined by another chap whos name escapes me. Conditions were perfect, 13mph straight on, occaisionally going off to the east. On launching I was faily whisked up, dont think Ive ever flown this site when its been so lifty. Good height gains of 370ft were available under the overcast and the air was lifting well out over the vally, enabling me to push out beyond the ridge to the east of the quarry. At one point I got really low on the way back, squeaking in just above the buildings near the quarry, I fully expected to walk back up, but it was working so well I was just hoovered back up! The ridge was frequently vistied by a Kite, I could not help but marvel at their flying skill, and at how relaxed they were in our presence, sometimes coming quite close. Pic to follow in the gallery.
Performed several top landings for practice, sometimes having difficulty getting down throught the lift, finding myself hovering a couple of ft. above the ground! Flew to the bottom to land after 1h30mins.

Offline Tom Garner

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2007, 10:02:23 AM »
Thursday 24th May 2007, Merthyr.
Arrived on T/O to meet Steve J and Chris at about 14:00. There were already a couple of people in the air, and a few flying on Fochriw. Took off in to a perfect 12-15mph breeze and gained height above the ridge. Some very weak cycles were coming through under teh overcast allowing 300ft ATO. After about 1.5hrs Chris and Steve landed in a strengthening wind whils me and Nick, who arrive later pushc further out in to the vally. Later in teh afternoon teh sky cleared leaving us with some quite rough climbs to 570ft ATO and generally very lift air, so lifty that I was able to push out and hang around for ages over the middle of the valley. After landing at the bottom due to the strong wind at T/O Chris said it had been blowing 25, I hadnt noticed it in the air, having had a good 10kmh on the gps while pushing out at trim. Another enjoyable 3hrs flying.

Offline Tom Garner

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2007, 20:24:54 PM »
Wednesday 21st March 2007, Fan Gyhyrich.
Met Steve J and Neil at Rhiw Wen but discovered it to be too light, an obsevation confirmed by the appearance of a hot air balloon over Llandielo, so we relocated to Fan G.
On our arrival we were greeted by a sailplane scratching in the bowl about 200ft below ridge height so we delayed taking off untill he dissappeared off to the east. Mean time the wind had started to back so we moved round to the WNW side and were able to scratch around in light dynamic lift and 2m/s thermals. At one point I thought I was gong down as I was 150ft below TO with Steve already down and Neil heading for the cars, but Neil saved me by marking a thermal out in front which we both took advantage of! The wind continued to back and increase allowing easier soaring and we were able to push over 1km out over the valley in zeros.
I thoroughly enjoyed the three hours on a Sigma 6, the only things I didnt like were the high break pressures (IMO) and I found that the lines were very high making it difficult to pull decent sized ears. On the plus side I was impressed with its speed and glide.
Some pics to follow in the Gallery.

Offline Tom Garner

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2007, 19:14:16 PM »
Tuesday 20th February 2007, Lletyn Gors, (local hill).
Could see southerly cloud drift and some Buzzards soaring the part of the hill that I had recently had permission to try out so decded to take a walk and see if it was flyable. 15 minutes and 1.5km hike later I was standing on the top next to the remains of a fort with the wind straight on and about 8 mph. got the wing out and ground handled for a while before a cycle came through and launched, clearing the fence that is just below the crest by a good margin, and proceeded to scratch around for 5 mins before slope landing. Back on top I waited again for another cycle which duly came along, only this time I managed to get to 270ft ATO, in a quite small bubble of lift, only leaving it as the immediate terrain downwind wouldnt have made for a smooth landing, or an easy walk out should I have lost it! Landed back on top this time in very light wind, and groundhandled while waiting for it to pick back up. Launching later in to about 14mph breeze I was able to soar at between 20 and 100ft ATO, in small and sometimes punchy thermals. Unfortunately rain stopped play after about an hour of flying, I would have carried on much longer in the somewhat smoother lift after the cloud had moved in.
I think this site could have some real potential in the summer for XC flying, if todays thermal production was anything to go by.
For those interested, the map is here. http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?lat=51.9188&lon=-4.1046&scale=25000&icon=x
Take off was at SN541265, next to the fort.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 19:23:56 PM by TomG »

Offline Tom Garner

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2007, 19:41:34 PM »
Sunday 18th February 2007, Bryncaws.
Arrived at about 11.30 to find the wind on the hill so sat about waiting fir it to pick up, which it did, from teh south. Then the west, so i walked over to Llety Siac, where it was almost windy enough, so waited around there for a bit. Then that dropped so went back to Bryncaws and had lunch when the wind duly picked up from the east. Quick rush to get ready and took off in about 13mph easterly. Found it to be slightly bumpy, but very lifty, getting to 600ft ATO over the trees to the north.
Steve Bain arrived so landed to say 'hi' where upon I discovered it had been blowing 20mph! Took off again in a quieter spot and found I was able to push out a good 1k from the ridge in mostly zeros or ones. On returning to the ridge a glance at the GPS showed a constant 59kph groundspeed so decided it would be a good idea to land after 1h15min flying time.

Offline Tom Garner

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2007, 21:14:50 PM »
Saturday 17th February 2007, Heol Senny.
Noticed Fan Gyhyrich was shrouded in cloud as I was approaching, but was pleasantly pleased to see two gliders above the hill.
Walked up to meet Gareth Pawan at the top to find a good breeze blowing and Humphrey and Dave Birch landing. Stood around chatting for a bit then decided to give it a go as the wind had dropped a bit. Took off and gained a bit of height in front of the hill before heading over to the quarry. Managed to get up to 350ft ATO in the slightly turbulent air. Flew for about an hour before I felt a couple of spots of rain and headed rapidly for terra firma, just managing to get packed away before it started raining with a vengance.

Offline Tom Garner

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2007, 10:58:36 AM »
Thursday 25 January 2007, Heol Senny.
Arrived with Will just after 13:30 to find a steady 14mph breeze slightly off to the north and a couple of other pilots indicating good lift. Took off to find abundant lift, getting to 530ft ATO at one point and was able to push out over the valley to the east in the bouyant air. Spent a nice 1.75 hrs boating around before getting fozen and heading down to bottom land next to the "Ice rink" that used to be one of the bottom landings.
Pictures are in my gallery section and a video on YouTube
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 14:49:33 PM by TomG »

Offline Tom Garner

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2006, 11:39:06 AM »
Sunday 17th December 2006, Rhossili.
Finally got to the hill by 13.00hrs, to see a load of gliders laid out on the pimple launch, but no one flying, I was also pleased to see that there were no white horses on the sea so all waas looknig good.
Took off in to about 15mph wind slightly off to north sharing the hill with about 6 other gliders, two of which were tandems, my first experience of flying near them led to the discovery that they have very rough wake!
I took the opportunity to try out my new camera and was surprised how difficult it was to hold steady even in the smooth air. I also had a go at some spirals, its quite a weird feeling as it starts to lock in an i didnt manage to hold them in for more than 1.5 revolutins before bottling and pulling out!
Ended my 2hr flight with a few touch and goes on the top as the wind was dying in the evening before landing back on the pimple.

Attached are a couple of pics i took of worms head and takeoff.

Offline Chris Dusgate

• Website member
  • +/-
  • Airtime: 500 Hours +
  • Pilot Rating: Advanced Pilot
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2006, 14:20:55 PM »
Hi Tom,

I flew at Rhiw Wen that day. Mid-day was a nice sky and it wasn't too strong however the wind picked up around 1pm, unfortunately I was down the western end when it did. I was going backwards with half bar on before I landed (I slid off to the end of the hill to get away from the lift. Given what you said I agree with Russkydancer and think wave may well have been present as there were some wave type clouds in the sky and out to the west before it then greyed over and the wind temporarily dropped before picking up again later. To land when it's rough and strong would seem to be a sensible option whether or not wave is present. Your description of the site doesn't make it sound like it was turbulence from the trees etc, sounds like a nice site.

Chris

Offline Tom Garner

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2006, 10:58:22 AM »
Aah, it may well have been the wave as there are hills even furthur upwind, couldnt see any wave clouds but i guess they dont always have to be there.
There is a forest further along the ridge, which could be described as a smaller Llandewi Brefi.
Tom.

russskydancer

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2006, 10:46:46 AM »
Hi Tom, it sounds like you may have been flying in out of faze wave, which can be extremely rough, are there a set of hills upwind of the hill?
The trees in the valley may or may not have caused some turbulance due to the rotor effect, it all depends on the position and size E.G. large woods etc relative to take off, also the shape of the hill may have been a factor.
But i think you did the right thing by landing, its much better to be safe on the ground in such conditions.
Safe flying, see you on the hill  :-D
Humphrey.