Author Topic: Steve Jones Flying Diary 2008  (Read 19880 times)

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
  • Airtime: 500 Hours +
  • Glider Type: Paraglider
  • Make of glider: Advance Sigma7/9
  • Pilot Rating: Pilot
Re: Steve Jones Flying Diary 2008
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2008, 18:29:50 PM »
  Cwm Parc   31 Dec 08
Called in to Cwm Parc at 2pm on my way home from metal detecting to find Cliffy at the bottom of the bowl; bombed out due to a lack of wind. On arrival back at his car the breeze had strengthened, so gave it a go.
Flew for 30 mins  with about 5 SEW members and a model aeroplane. Good views across to Pen Y Fan, Talybont and the Sugar Loaf above Abergavenny. Looking south the Vale of Glamorgan was covered in fog, with only the Wenvoe mast protruding through the murk; probably an inversion layer.
Just about worth blogging about.
Looks as if the E'ly winds are here for another week at least. Thank heavens for heated-gloves :-)

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2008, 19:46:33 PM »

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2008, 17:25:59 PM »
  Mynydd Dinas   17th October 08

Arrived at TO with Andy at about 12:30hrs to find the breeze a bit light. Waited for 30 mins , noticed a slight increase and launched. Airborne for a pleasant 15 mins in light conditions before being forced to slope-land. This set the pattern for the afternoon, though later at about 3pm it did become easier to stay up. Best flight time was 40 mins gaining 350' ato in the gentle thermals, best area of lift was over the forestry plantation, to the right of TO. Not as sunny as last Sunday, but non-the-less an enjoyable 1:20 hrs flying.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 22:37:25 PM by SteveJ »

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2008, 15:03:48 PM »
   Cwmafan   12th October 08

Intended to go to BC, but called into Cwafan to check on the wind as it was forecast to veer S. later. At TO the wind seemed on the hill at 12 mph, so gave it a go and TO at just before midday. 10 mins later my wing was back in its bag after bombing out; it turned out that the wind was actually more SSE, which meant that there was no lift over the trees.
Walked back up to the upper TO. Here the wind was on the hill with plenty of thermals kicking off on the sun-baked slope. Spent 2 hrs here getting up to 700' ato and making jaunts over the village; even managed to fly around my house waving to Sabina cutting the lawns. Plenty of buzzards marking the thermals, which at times were at 4 m/s. As the Sites Guide rightly mentions....a little unfriendly in SE'ly winds.....this was borne out by a few tucks. After the first hour I did contemplate top landing for a bite to eat, but after side-slipping and dropping rapidly in some sink directly above TO, this persuaded me to save my sandwiches for later :-o
Best area of lift seemed to be above the gully directly in front of TO, somehow the forestry trees between the lower and upper TO failed to give off anything.
Landed at the bottom TO just in time to help Owen and his wife, Mair, launch into a strengthening breeze at about 3pm.
A nice day flying in brilliant sunshine and a few end-of-season thermals to boot :-) Who said summer was over........I think it was me in my last blog :-D
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 15:07:34 PM by SteveJ »

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2008, 18:17:19 PM »
  Merthyr    Wednesday  8th October 08

Arrived at TO at about 11:30 with Andy. Met up with Norris and waited around for an hour as the wind was a tad strong at 25 mph. TO later in ideal conditions with the sky looking good aswell. Flew a number of 30-minute flights, landing only out of boredom. Despite the great-looking clouds nobody managed to get above 300' ato all day :? ; thermals were small and not amounting to much. As many as 10 wings airborne at some point in the afternoon.
A little disappointing, but at least we flew our pants off :-D
Left the hill at about 3:30ish after nearly 2hrs air time. Andy only had one flight; though it was getting on for 3hrs duration ! When we left the wind had increased significantly again.
Looks as if winter flying has arrived  :-(
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 15:06:08 PM by SteveJ »

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2008, 21:15:38 PM »
Oludeniz  Sunday 28th Sep 08

Badadag lookıng clear of the orographıc stuff whıch has plagued us since we arrived. TO on the upper south (1,800 M) side just after mıd day and climbed away up to cloud base at 1,600 ato, great views of babadag mountain from 8,000' amsl :-D
Boated around here wıth a few other glıders for about 30 mıns then headed W towards Koyakay (or is ıt Kayakoy), the abandoned town behınd Oludeniz. Over the abandoned town headed back to Cave mountaın and joıned another Sıgma 6  thermallıng around the rıdge. Then back to the beach for a flt tıme of 1 hr 10 mıns.
Decıded to go back up Babadag for an evenıng flt, though the journey up was pretty scary..... ın a lorry :-o
After an hour of bouncıng around ın the back of the lorry and hopıng ıt wouldn't fall off the sıde of the mountaın :-o arrıved at TO and waıted for that magıcal Oludenız sunset. It never materıalısed, but we both stıll had an enjoyable 35 mın TTB. andy and I beıng the only pılots at TO at around 6pm.
Best day of the trıp so far, maınly because of the alt gaın above TO.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 15:03:21 PM by SteveJ »

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2008, 19:11:36 PM »
Oludeniz    Sat  27th Sep 08

Upper N TO, slıghtly stronger wind than of late, ideal for reverse launches which us Brıts excel at.
Lots of orographıc stuff on the S sıde so headed away to the W of Babadag and manged to get onto 'cave' mountain above Oludeniz. Plenty of thermals around today. Hung around 'cave' mountain and thermalled to over a grand above it ın the 4 m/s lıft. Had great views of the rather haunted-looking Kayakoy vıllage; abandoned by the Greeks in the 1920s. Dıd have thoughts about going XC, but they were quashed by the absence of a bus route to this remote part of the peninsula between Oludeniz and fethyıe. Not knowıng how the sea breezes (from the S) and the prevailing N'ly would react ın this hıgh-sided valley. best flying so far - 1 hr 25 min flt time.
Andy had a shocking flight :mrgreen: See his blog for details....

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2008, 20:00:45 PM »
Oludeniz    26th Sep 08
Top TO clagged ın today so went to the lower 900m TO at Kermıe at the foot of Babadag. Nıl wınd and short runway made for a trıcky TO. Andy's perfected the art of one-legged TOs and landıngs.
Chuckled thıs evenıng to see vıdeo footage of the SE Wales contıngent mouchıng around TO ın thıck orographıc cloud for 5 hrs whıle andy and I had flown and were sıppıng or drınks on the beach all afternoon  :-D
My flıghts are gettıng shorter and shorter as the hols progress :? hope thıs changes soon....
Today managed 25 mıns after catchıng some thermıc actıvıty above some sea clıffs ın front of the 900m TO. Had the company of whoppıng and whaılıng tandem passenger caught up ın the same thermal; they were eıther enjoyıng themselves, or frıghtened to death  :-D

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2008, 21:05:19 PM »
Oludenız  25 Sep 08

Hıtched a lıft wıth the SE Wales contıngent and some chap who called hımself Jocky Sanderson.
Was hopıng to do an XC flıght,but overcast skıes meant no thermıc actıvıty and a short 30 mın TTB. Flew across the beach to try some dynamıc lıft above the blue lagoon but no luck here eıther. Landed to fınd a 3 inch stone ın one of my cells; scooped up on TO :-( luckıly ıt had smooth edges and caused no damage.....there's nothıng wrong wıth sheep-sh** -covered green hılls :-)
Flown every day so far, but yet to get some good thermals ...maybe tomorrow.
Spent most of the day relaxıng on the beach and snorkellıng... got bıtten (and stung) by an octopus that dıdn't want to end up as my supper, ouch.
Only just realısed how much andy looks lıke Tom Cruıse, especıally when he puts hıs shades on :-D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 21:07:40 PM by SteveJ »

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2008, 21:30:59 PM »
Oludenız   24 Sep 08

Got to TO at about 11.30 and waıted for the sun to heat up the rock face on the S sıde. In the meantıme watched some SE members TO for an XC to the E. Stuart managıng 20 kms and only takıng an hour to make the trıp back to Oludenız. Remarkable ın that there was no retrıeve drıver laıd on and all was done on publıc transport.
TO on the very ıntımıdatıng top N TO. clımbed along the rıdge to the E and when at enough altıtude hopped over to the S sıde. Got drılled, almost to the deck, but managed to get away due to the glıde capabılıtıes of my wıng. Trıed to radıo Andy and warn hım, but to no avaıl. A flıght of sınk, sınk and more sınk; ıf that wasn,t enough sınk for one day I dıd some B lıne stalls and managed 7 m/s; yes, sınk :-D
Some spırals over the beach then down for a swım ın the sea and a baıley,s coffee....mmm
Waıted 2 hours for andy under the shade of a tree, fequently callıng hım up on the radıo, even tryıng to call hım on hıs mobıle. Then a reassurıng crackle and andy's voıce on the rdıo brıngs some releıf. He,d done exactly what I that had happened :-o
Tomorrow we mıght noncholantly follow the SE crowd away over the flat Turkısh countrysıde near Mount Babadag. Strange to travel far away from home and be surrounded on the hıll by Welsh accents.

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2008, 20:39:30 PM »
Oludeniz 23 Sep 08
Para waited for 5 hours due to orographıc cloud ın front of TO, storms last night so air very moist. Finally TO at 5 pm in a window and thermalled around for 50 mins. Met up wıth some SE Wales chaps who were on an SIV course highlıght of the day was watching Peter (SE Wales) deliberatly throwing his reserve and getting wet, in the setting sun :-o

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2008, 20:30:42 PM »
  Talybont    Saturday  20th Sep 08

Arrived at TO with Andy & Tom just before 1 pm after the usual slog up the hill. Changed into a dry T-shirt and TO into a very light but thermic SSW breeze. Flew three 10-min flights between cycles and took a break - 100% concentration required when scratching with 5 pilots on a short ridge :-o
While re-hydrating saw a gaggle TO and thermal away up to about 2 grand ato.
At about 2pm, with renewed vigor, took the next cycle and climbed away myself to 4,760' amsl. Pen y Fan looked tempting, but couldn't find any lift, so drifted as far as Fan y Big and headed for the far-side of the bowl, getting back up to 2 grand ato on the way. Joined a few pilots on the far-side including one who looked like Ivor (??). Closed the triangle by joining the TO ridge and got some lift just prior to touching down. Back up to a grand for 20 mins, from where it seemed relatively easy to stay aloft.
Top landed after a 1-hour jaunt in the sky.
TO again later and bimbled about at just over a grand for 20 mins, again, once above the 1,000' ato mark it was easy to stay in the air.
By 4pm the time between cycles seemed to get longer and their strength weaker than earlier; time to head back to the car. Some nice lift off the forestry plantation in front of the hill on the way down.
Minutes after landing, a Mountain Rescue ambulance pulled up alongside us in search of an injured PG pilot on the far side TO :-; Hope they were OK. Anybody know anything about the incident ??
Probably the most enjoyable day's flying this year. No XC, but challenging to get high and do a 7km triangle. Typical alpine conditions (not that I've flown in any alps), you had to pick your moment to launch, otherwise you went down and sweated a lot :-D
Andy & Tom had a frustrating day, only getting about 200 ato. I guess it's time for them both to up-grade their wings; a sure sign that their wing's performance are indeed holding back their ability.

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2008, 11:15:31 AM »
Thursday  AM  18th Sep 08

TO at about 11ish and went straight to cloudbase at 3,000'. Wasted no time in going XC over the Carmarthenshire/ Pembrokeshire countryside; thought about landing near Haverfordwest, but decided to head back to TO. An out and return of 200 Kms in 50 mins.
Unfortunately I can't enter the flight in the XC league as I did enter controlled airspace and the fact that I was a passenger in my mate's self-built RV9 light a/c  :-D

Mynydd Dinas   Thursday  PM  18th Sep 08

Headed with Andy and Stevie G. to MD as the wind had veered from S to SW. TO into a soarable breeze which within 10 mins became unsoarable; slope landed.
Waited and waited....At 5pm made the decision to forward launch as I had to be in work at 6.
Did an extended ttb with a few spirals over the landing field at St.Joseph's School.
Interesting to note the farmer's, Bransbry Williams, comments re. paragliding on MD, quote:  '  ......the Forestry Commission have banned flying from the mountain because of the number of forestry fires this year ' :? He's obviously on a different planet from everyone else; having just endured one of our wettest summers in a long time. I could add further comment to fires in that area, especially near his farm, but might loose my job over it. :-o
Beware of this man's wool-pulling abilities - he has no right to stop you from walking on the track that passes thro' his farm; it is a public bridleway. He certainly has no say in Forestry Commission protocol.

Apologies to some of the newer members of the club, but MD is a little on the unforgiving-side; what with a busy motorway, railway line and densely populated area below TO. TO is also on a 60 degree slope from which you only have one chance at launching :-o
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 21:35:28 PM by SteveJ »

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2008, 20:32:28 PM »
Talybont    Sunday  14th Sep 08

Trecked up to Talybont with Andy as some forecasts predicted a similar day to yesterday ie light winds. On reaching TO found Ivor, Sheryl, Dennis & a 20 mph wind. Took into account that the strong breeze was caused by compression and launched a few minutes later. Spent about an hour in cloudy conditions boating around the SE'ly bowl. Max height gain about 400' ato in some gentle thermal. Cloud base at times was down to 600' ato; level with the summit of Pen y fan in the distance.

Bryncaws
Left Talybont at 3ish and headed home via BC. Flew for another hour here in cloudy conditions before the light wind dropped even further and most called it a day at 5pm; max ht: about the 300' ato mark. Quite a few people on the hill.
On leaving the hill passed Tom who had just arrived on the hill after finishing work; hope you got some flying in, Tom.

Offline Steve Jones

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2008, 00:02:46 AM »
  Fan G.   13th Sep 08
Got to TO at about 1pm and para-waited for over an hour with Andy, Jon M., Gerry, Rob B. & Tina in the strong autumnal sunshine. Only breeze was the light thermic cycles coming up the hill every 15 mins. Andy's persistence at launching (and climbing back up the slope :-D) paid off when he cored one such thermal to over a grand. Everyone had to be contented with short, 10 min flts in the weak lift. At about 4:15, after the clouds blotting out the sun, it became soarable with most getting to 400' ato and staying aloft for about 20 mins.
A disappointing day, as at about 3pm the sky looked great for XCs, but nobody could achieve any height due to the nil-wind conditions.
Strange to be on the hill for two consecutive days. Hopefully tomorrow will also be flyable.