Author Topic: Nick Roberts' Flying Diary 2008  (Read 13181 times)

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
  • Airtime: 500 Hours +
  • Glider Type: Paraglider
  • Make of glider: Axis Venus SC Small
  • Pilot Rating: Advanced Pilot
Re: Nick Roberts' Flying Diary 2008
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2008, 22:08:33 PM »
Marros - Thought the wind was a bit light but heard that Stevie G, Scotty and Gerry were already there so made the trip out to take a look.  Driving down the lane to the site, Viv and me were pleasantly suprised to see Stevie G soaring away along the clifftop. 

We met Mr Turner and his son in the field and had a chat before getting our gear out.  It was our first time here and I marvelled at the wonderful scenery and first class take-off location.  Conditions were a bit light but I did manage to soar for a short while before the wind died away altogether.

Verdict - A very user-friendly site which should work really well with sufficient breeze.  Stunning scenery.  A quite straightforward drive from Swansea down to Carmarthen/St Clears/Pendine.  Friendly site owner!

Hats off to Steve J for re-negotiating use of this fine flying site!     :-D

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2008, 21:23:49 PM »
Fan G today.  The Cray reservoir shone like a mirror so we were not expecting much wind but on arrival at the top at 11:30 with Viv, Gerry and son Mitch, we found a flyable northerly breeze.  We were joined by Chris W and Stevie G with his tandem and a short while later Rob and Tina too.  At first , the air was nice and smooth and we flew around for a while enjoying great views but yeah it was pretty * cold!

The breeze started to pick up and we could see oragraphic  cloud forming on the windward side of Pen y Fan and billowing over the top and a while later, cloud started to form at the back of the Fan G bowl too!
Then, wave cloud started to form over Pen Y Fan and conditions started to get a bit lumpy which was a bit disconcerting.  Time to fly down!  Always a nice glide to the bottom.

The track seems to have suffered a bit with all the rain this year.  It was easy enough in Gerry's wagon (until the radiator blew at the top of the track!) but I'd say it is impassable for an ordinary car at the moment.   :-)

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2008, 20:00:36 PM »
A short fly at Rhiw Wen today.  Met Nick Winder in the carpark at 11:30. It was fr..fr..freezing and the wind at To was quite gusty.  Myself, John Nash,Nick, Viv and Gerry stood around for a while and were not encouraged to have a go as we had heard from Ivor who had been flying at Heol Senni earlier and had found conditions somewhat disagreeable!

Lo and behold Ivor then arrived and offered to test the conditions for us and demonstrated  his version of the PLF upon top landing!  I then launched and flew for a short while before landing at the bottom and agreeing that conditions were equally disagreeable!

By this time, what sun there was had dropped behind the hill and temperatures began to plummet.  Time to pack up before the onset of frostbite!

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2008, 23:47:39 PM »
12/11/08

Arrived at Seven Sisters around midday with Viv.  The clouds were whipping over and the wind was whistling through the trees, big black clouds upwind too!  What to do - wait on takeoff for a while to see if the wind drops or try somewhere else?  We decided to try Fochriw as the wind seemed a bit WNW and it was a bit sunnier further east.  Arrived at 13:30  to see Dan Sidoli  winging around on a smaller than average wing(19m sq).  The wind was quite breezy on top but ok to launch a little lower down.  A few others soon arrived and I counted 10 gliders in the air( amongst them, a few of the usual SEW suspects -Norris, Stuart,Tim and Pete).

A nice bit of winter flying!   :-)

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2008, 18:16:01 PM »
04/11  Well Abernant worked!  The wind was a tad off to the north and we never got much above the hilltop but it was a lively boat-around in the lumpy bits of lift floating up from the landfill site.  The lifty bits were small and incoherent and even the Kites wern't doing full circles but it made for some active flying which is always good practice.  The Beacons looked clagged in but no drizzle came our way so we were in the right place.  Andy, Ivor and Gerry made a foursome.  A good fun day!   :-)

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2008, 21:43:36 PM »
Rhossili 17/10

XC weather said 7mph but the Worms Head weathercam said 2mph hmm... a bit light - but I went anyway!

Arrived at 15:30 and the sea was like a millpond.  Hardly suprising, there were no other club members to be seen but there were a few visiting pilots doing T to B's.  I went for a stroll out along the cliff first and then went up the hill for a chat.  Got to the top and low and behold - a flyable breeze materialised!
Scurried back to get the glider and lobbed off from the pimple at 17:10.  Not a speck of sunshine but suprisingly lifty - climbed to maybe 500' a.t.o. and cruised around for an hour in rather good conditions.
Upon landing, some rain came in so I packed up sharpish.  Walked down the hill grinning in the rain!
Such is flying!   :-)

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2008, 15:48:16 PM »
12/10/08 - Forecast southerly but went to Bryncaws as windmap indicated firmly southeast.  Arrived at 11.00 a.m. to find a light breeze seemingly on the hill and joined others for a most pleasant bit of parawaiting in the unseasonally warm sunshine. A while later and a bit more breeze materialised albeit a little off to the south.  There did not seem to be much general lift and conditions became a little gusty which I found a tad unsettling so I did not fly for long.  Observing others - at times it seemed to be improving but then it would die away again putting pilots down on the slope.  I could not help  feeling that we were in the wrong place and this was confirmed when we espied Steve J and Andy H high above the masts at Cwmafan  :roll:  We ummed and er'd "to pack up and go to Cwmafan or to stay and soak up the sunshine"  Then , conditions improved for a while and the moment passed ....
Lazy sunday afternoon..... :mrgreen:

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2008, 08:45:11 AM »
Superb conditions at Bryncaws yesterday.  A nice breeze on launch and lots of weak lift higher up in the late afternoon sunshine - ideal for my first flight since my recent operation!  Gained some 1000' over the trees at the north end of the hill and flew out into the valley as far as the old railway line and back with plenty to spare. Good company in the air and at the pub after too!  I've never seen so many pilots on Bryncaws on a weekday afternoon!  Great to be back in the air!   :-D

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2008, 09:12:41 AM »
30/08/08 - Bryncaws

Popped around to BC after work and joined the parawaiting clinic.  The wind was quite brisk, gusting up to the mid-twenties but it was warm and the sun even came out at times!  Stuart and Norris from SE Wales decided to launch and seemed to be doing ok but we decided to wait a while longer, content with a bit of Kite flying.  At 16:00, the wind had eased a little so we decided to give it a go.  For about an hour, I found the air quite lumpy and not very pleasant at times but after 17:00, conditions smoothed out nicely.  There was not a great deal of lift to be had but I did enjoy a weak climb to 900' ato at one point.
A few more pilots came out of the woodwork to enjoy smooth soaring conditions until around 18:30 when the wind died away.  Hats off to Chris for persevering with the XC clinic against adverse weather conditions and good to see new member Simon from West Wales soaring happily.   :-)

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2008, 10:40:20 AM »
Sat August 23rd - Mynydd Meio

Went to Nant y Moel early hoping to get some flying in before the iminent arrival of the next weather front.  In fact we were, in conjunction with Sheryl and the SEW club, hoping to run our first Joint XC clinic.

Anyway, we met up on the hill at 10:30 and found that we were already at cloudbase!  After some customary parawaiting, the base lifted and the drizzle ceased but the wind kicked in at 25 to 30 mph!

We were just about to leave when we were aproached by one of the model aircraft fliers who said that a friend had just told him on the phone that somebody was flying at Mynydd Meio(SEW site).  So, those of us that were left trooped off to Mynydd Meio down near Caerphilly(thanks to Sheryl for showing us the way).

We arrived at the site under greying skies but were pleasantly suprised to find the wind on the hill and not too strong.  I had never been to this site before but had heard that it was somewhere one could often fly when "Nanty" is blown out.  The site is quite small but has an expansive grassy flat-top area for takeoff and landing.  The air was a little bumpy at times but we enjoyed the best part of an hour's flying with height gains in the lifty moments taking us up to 500' a.t.o. before the inevitable pitter-patter of rain, stopped play. I enjoyed the change of scenery and could see that this site has potential to work well on a hot summer's day.......

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008, 09:02:44 AM »
Thursday Aug 21st - Rhossili

Went down to Rhossili for an evening flight travelling in hope rather than expectation after a somewhat breeezy day and was pleasantly amazed to see gliders flying upon arrival.  Wind on the pimple was fairly light at 17:30 and ideal for the first flight on my new Sigma 7.  Soared till sunset with Jon, Viv, Gareth, Andy brazier, Steve Bain and Simon from Sweden on his Sigma 7.  Along with Rob Mansley's Fly West Wales and the Joint Services, there were plenty of gliders in the sky. And my Sigma 7 : the glider cuts through the air with ease. The brake pressure and speed system are light and along with my Impress 2+, the whole package feels well balanced and a delight to fly - bring on the thermals!   :-D

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2008, 22:06:41 PM »
Saturday July 26th - Rhossili

A rather cloudy morning so headed to Rhossili after work.  Arrived around 14:00 to see lots of pilots on the hill.  Conditions were quite light but the flying was pleasant enough although not as relaxing as it can be due to the numbers in the air and a narrower than  usual lift-band but hey it's great to see so many pilots flying!   8-)

Sunday July 27th - Fan G

A very warm day with light and variable winds turning westerly later(forecast)  Drove up the hill with Chris D, Nick Winder and a few others.  upon arrival at the southwest takeoff around midday, the wind was light and off to the south or even south east so we waited until after 15:00 for the sun to move across the sky and cast it's gaze onto the southwest face.  Patience was rewarded and flyable conditions ensued.  Chris D and myself hooked into a beautiful cimb up to base at around 4800'amsl.  I tried a little out-and-return flight to the southeast which turned out to be shorter than I had hoped as the cloud I flew to dissipated upon my arrival underneath.   :roll: I turned around and flew back to the hill.  I could see Chris gliding off towards Brecon but he had no luck either and was soon back at the lay-by below.  Thereafter, Owen enjoyed a high altitude cruise around for a while but then the clouds dissipated and the conditions mellowed off(probable sea air arrival)  :-D

Monday July 28th - Bryncaws

Saw some spectacular wave clouds in the sky at Midday and with a forecast of probable overdevelopment, I thought that maybe it was a no no.  However, I thought maybe I'll nip round and take a look and see if Jared is  there and maybe help him with his speedbar set-up.

Arrived to find Jared just leaving but there were quite a few others on the hill and the sky didn't look too threatening so I went up the hill with a view to a late afternoon fly.  It turned out to be quite windy on the hill but after a while chatting, the wind seemed to ease off so a few of us launched at about 17:00.  It was incredibly warm in the air just flying in shorts and t-shirt.  It seemed a little rough and windy down low and just as I was thinking  about landing and calling it a day,  I hooked into a nice thermal and joined from above by Rob Mansley we circled up to 2300' ato.  I flew out into the valley with a fixed grin marvelling at the way this sport throws up such moments!  :-D

A dark mass was moving in from the east so it was soon time to land and pack away.  I drove away from the farm just as the rain started.  On the way home it became a torrential downpour accompanied by thunder and lightning!  :-o

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 16:17:44 PM »
Tuesday July 22nd - Rhossili. 

A good flyable breeze for most of the day but no sunshine and rather a lot of low cloud coming in off the sea which brought intermittent patches of drizzle with it.  Could've done with some wipers on my sunglasses!

Wednesday July 23rd  Bryncaws

Arrived mid-afternoon to find that the seabreeze had not encroached thanks to a good easterly breeze on the hill.  Lots of pilots present including three schools.  Most people were on the ground though as the breeze had become a tad strong just before I arrived .  I waited till around 17:00 to launch.  It was easy to stay up and soar around but thermic activity had become very weak (maybe due to an out -of-phase wave effect : that's my theory at least!).  A later(19:00) flight with some restitutional type lift allowed me to fly right out into the valley beyond the farm.....very nice!

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 17:52:45 PM »
Yesterday - 13/07/08

A classic summer's day at Rhossili.  The wind was a bit off to the southwest at first but pleasantly thermic conditions gave good height gains.  As the afternoon progressed, the breeze pulled onto the hill in time-honoured fashion and the resulting enormous lift band could easily accommodate the number of gliders present(Up to 20 in the air at any one time and maybe another 10 on the ground!).  Advance's new Sigma 7 was spotted in the air(piloted by Paul Williams) which attracted plenty of interest.

Great to see both Axis and Fly West Wales making the most of the conditions.  No Hangies but they had it all to themselves the day before!  The sun shone and pilots flew well into the evening and finished off in the pub at sunset.  Eee...it was just like the good old days!   :-D

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Chief Coach
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 15:24:00 PM »
23/06/08 - A nice late afternoon/evening slot at Rhossili, soaring the seabreeze in the sunshine and in good company (10 - 12 gliders present).   :-D Flyable from 15.30 - 19:30.  Tried to send  out a 'supertext' but still not getting it right somehow.  Got my new camera to work properly though....now that I have inserted the correct batteries....doh!    :roll: Nice pint out on the terrace as the sun set...simply no better place to be.... 8-)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 21:12:05 PM by Nick Roberts »