Author Topic: Toms flying outings  (Read 4177 times)

Offline Tom Garner

• Website member
  • +/-
  • Airtime: 100-500 Hours
  • Glider Type: Paraglider
  • Make of glider: Sigma 6
  • Pilot Rating: Pilot
Re: Toms flying outings
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 10:11:45 AM »
08-10-2008 Rhossilli.
Arrived at the top TO at about 12:00 to find a few pilots witing for the wind to pick up. After an hour I became sorable so had a few short hops as the short bit of ridge that was working got rather crowded at times. The wind picked up some more later on allowing us full use of the ridge, giving me a best height of 400ft ATO. Given the abundance of lift when the wind had piced up to 20 on TO I practiced some wingovers and spirals. Had to land on the beach as it was still a bit too strong on top and as I was just about to go Stevie G pursuaded me up again for a nice evening flight in the dying breeze.
Attached are a pic of Stevie G and (I think) Jarred flying.

King James I of England on smoking:
"A custom loathsome to the eye, harmful to the brain, damageing to the lungs and in the black stinking fume thereof, nearest resembling the horrible Stygian smoke of the pit that is bottomless."

Offline Tom Garner

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 10:37:22 AM »
13-07-2008 Fan Gyhyrich.

Arrived at TO with Ivor at about 12;30 to find lots of development with low base and a light wind off to the south. Had two short flights in the gaps between the big clouds passing with some smooth powerful lift available to about 200ft ATO
Paravaited for a couple of hours while a big black cloud parked over the top of us then flew for a furthur 50 mins in increasing wind and very rough thermals to 640ft in a blue sky until forced to land as I was struggling to penetrate at trim and didnt want to use the bar due to the roughness of the thermals.
"A custom loathsome to the eye, harmful to the brain, damageing to the lungs and in the black stinking fume thereof, nearest resembling the horrible Stygian smoke of the pit that is bottomless."

Offline Tom Garner

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 09:53:41 AM »
23-06-2008 Fan Gyhyrich

Arrived just after Ivor and travelled up to TO together. On arrival found it to be light and off to the south, but after a short wait it appeared to improve. Quickly set up and waited while Ivor went first, only to slopeland to the South. Took off as the wing was pulling strongly and went south to hook in to a nice big thermal over Ivor to 800 ATO, drifting slowly back. On losing the climb I pushed out, coring another strong thermal to just over a grand drifting back to the edge of the hill. With all this height I was able to push out beyond the road to roughly above the ridgeline on the other side of the valley. Found a  bit of weak lift to top up a couple of hundred ft then moved crosswind to another forming clound. Altimeter ticked down past 500 before I got there so broke to run back to the ridge, only to blunder in to another thermal to gain a very useful 500ft, while watching Ivor scratching very low. On losing the lift I was hit by 4kt sink all the way to TO, so zoomed in with just enough height for a small circuit to land. Due to the strangeness of the weather only a couple of short hops happened, even though the wind was on, it just seemed totally dead.
Wasnt too bothered though as the earlier flight had been so much fun!

Offline Tom Garner

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 10:31:51 AM »
16-06-08 Preseli North.
Arrived in layby to find an epic looking sky and perfect wind from the North and awesome views of cardigan bay. Walked the 2k to TO to find wind on the hill at 10 to 15. Proceeded to set up, and at one point I noticed two crows thermalling well out in the valley in front.
Took off and scratched about in weak lift before hooking in to a thermal to 500ft ATO, which I lost over the  deforested area to the west of TO and got hammered in 8kts sink!
Got back to TO to find wind stronger, so launched in a lul and scratched from one end of the ridge to the other, landing several times. Wind then picked up some more so I decided to pack up and head for home.
As the guide says, it really does need to be thermic, and with such a good sky I was surprised it wasnt.
Total airtime about 45 mins.

Offline Tom Garner

• Website member
  • +/-
Toms flying outings
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 19:40:24 PM »
04-06-2008 Lletyn Gors,
After a bit of indecision decided to walk up to the hill behind the house in the afternoon. Got to TO to find it quite strong and rough as the start of the frontal stratus cut off the sun. Watched a small hawk going up well out in the valley whilst I waited. took off in to light lift and scratched my way up to 200ft ATO in weak and sometimes rough thermals, before being decked below TO by strong sink. Walked back to TO and had another go, this time in the company of two Buzzards getting to 150 in ever weakening lift before finding myself going down. Luckily one of the Buzzards cored some lift just in front so I joined him for the best climb of the day for a quick boost to just over 200ft ATO before zooming off along the valley for my first XC of the year(OK, only 2k to home) landing in near calm after 40 min airtime.