Author Topic: Nick's Airtime '09  (Read 24553 times)

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Secretary
  • Website member
  • +/-
  • Airtime: 500 Hours +
  • Glider Type: Paraglider
  • Make of glider: Advance Sigma 9
  • Pilot Rating: Advanced Pilot
Re: Nick's Airtime '09
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2009, 17:49:04 PM »
Airtime '09 - 126hrs 50mins.  That's all for this year.

Best wishes to all for a great flying season in 2010.   ;)

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Secretary
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2009, 11:29:23 AM »
Rhossili 25/12/09

Looking at the forecasts on Xmas Eve, it did look as though there may be a short window of opportunity for an Xmas Day flight but it was a big maybe.  At first light, the bits of cloud coming over from the northwest didn't seem to be travelling all that quickly so "what the heck,  I'll put the wing in the boot and go down for a walk along the beach before the big lunch".  Getting out of the car in the carpark at 10:30, the wind seemed rather brisk but before the beach walk, I thought  "I'll just nip up to the pimple and see what it's like".  Arriving at takeoff, the wind seemed to be fine and Gerry was there setting up to launch - wow!  So it was back to the carpark in double quick time to get the glider.

I launched just after 11:00 into a nice soarable breeze and joined gerry who had already been flying for about 15 minutes.  It was a glorious morning and the air was silky smooth.  My first ever Christmas Day flight was really something to savour and we made the most of it as the wind gradually backed to the southwest.  We landed back on the pimple at about 11:45 just as the wind backed further to the south.

Merry Christmas everybody   ;D
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 11:32:42 AM by Nick Roberts »

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Secretary
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2009, 20:54:44 PM »
Nant y Moel - the wind did not come on as expected.  Some intermittent soaring was possible but it was a bit too scratchy and light for the tandem.   There were heaps of pilots on the hill doing  a bit of flying inbetween extended periods of parawaiting.  Whispers that people were flying at Merthyr at around 15:00 prompted an exodus, leaving more room in the air for those that remained.

Later on, couple flew out over the town and beyond for a good top to bottom so I followed suite on the tandem  with Phil N's daughter Rosie and we landed in the official bottom landing field - a lush grassy field at the roadside!   :-)

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Secretary
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2009, 19:35:13 PM »
Heol Senni Another good day - rather blustery for a while but settled down nicely through the afternoon although the wind dropped to rather light at times.  Some good thermal flying was enjoyed by Ivor, Gareth D, Steve Parsons, Dave Birch and a visitor aboard a Niviuk Hook.  Nasher and Chris D did some more tandem flights and we managed to complete Chris's assessment before the wind died away(hope to get nasher through tomorrow!). 

getting colder in the air!    :-)

Offline Ben Armstrong

• Website member
  • +/-
  • Airtime: 100-500 Hours
  • Make of glider: Buzz Z4
  • Pilot Rating: Pilot
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2009, 23:06:51 PM »
thanks for your help today nick. And ivor, john and chris. What a fantastic site! I'll be back!

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Secretary
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2009, 22:55:58 PM »
Heol Senni - Front passed through in the morning as per forecast.  The skies cleared and the blustery wind settled down nicely from 15:00 onwards to give good soaring conditions, the wind albeit a little off to the north.  Good tandem training for Chris and John and a good bit of flying for Viv, Ben and Ivor and even a late flight for me as the sun went down.

Beautiful sunset    :-)

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Secretary
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2009, 21:01:00 PM »
Fan G - A definite cloud drift from the northwest this morning so headed up to Fan G with Chris and Nasher to do some tandem training flights.  Arrived at the top to see Steve J and Andy H setting up and Dennis from Hereford who had already had a flight.  The breeze was good so we were confident of a good day but then...........the wind died away and did not return!  The mirror image on the reservoir said it all.  Even the Red Kites were flapping!

Chris and John flew a top to bottom on the tandem.  Steve and Dennis flew down too, leaving Andy and me to drive the vehicles down.

Better luck tomorrow perhaps    :mrgreen:

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Secretary
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2009, 20:21:08 PM »
Fan G - Forecast for very light winds this afternoon so I ambled up to Fan G with sarnies and a book.  Some half tidy cu had started to form but there wasn't a ripple on the reservoir.  I met Glynn from Llanspyddid(near Brecon) at the gate and we drove up as far as the second gate and walked the rest of the way.  On top, it was blowing 15mph southwesterly - where did that come from!

We launched at around 15:45 and conditions were quite nice with some weak thermic activity to play with.  After a while, I managed to hook into a weak line of lift and after some perseverance,  made it to within a smidgin of cloudbase at 3965' amsl.  The views were stunning.  Later, the wind veered to the west and we could comfortably glide back to the car to finish.  A lovely autumn day!    :-D

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Secretary
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2009, 22:18:53 PM »
30/09/09 - Rhosilli

A 30 minute evening flight with a splendid Autumn sunset sharing the air with Gerry, Nasher, Jared and Viv test flying her new Gin Zulu.

04/10/09 - Rhossili

A sunny morning became overcast and the windalmost died to nothing leaving a lot of people sitting around but not to worry - "reliable Rhossili" came good by mid afternoon with even a little bit of sun!

Had a blast on Dave T's new Ozone Magnum tandem which showed it's speed and handling - very swish!.  Followed that with five flights on the club tandem including two training flights with Nasher.  Great to see so many pilots out on the hill - faces old and new.    :-D

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Secretary
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2009, 22:31:02 PM »
Fan G

Rather optimistically put suncream on this morning and drove up with Idris and Nasher.  Not a glimmer of sunlight anywhere!  However, there was a flyable breeze from the north so we went up and ate lunch waiting to see if the cloudbase would rise above 2500' amsl.  The cloudbase promptly came down almost to the hilltop but our attention was diverted towards a Mountain Rescue helicopter which landed on top of the hill near the trigpoint then took off again, flew away down the valley then reappeared from the southeast and landed back on top of the hill once more - it transpired that they were on a training exercise!

Anyway, joined by Viv and Steve, once the helicopter had cleared off, we launched into some quite lifty air and floated around for an hour or so at cloudbase a mere 300' or so above the hill.  The temp readout on my vario was 9.5 degrees and it certainly felt like it! but the breeze was spot on for soaring around out in front of the hill also  into the big bowl and along to the forest.
Stopped off at the Ancient Briton on the way home to warm up.  It'll soon be time to dust off the winter flying suit!   :-)

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Secretary
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2009, 22:57:35 PM »
Rhossili

Yet another flyable day at Rhossili!  Light'n lifty until late afternoon when the wind gradually picked up and veered through northwest to a breezy northerly.  Flew the hill for a while then a few of us went over and soared the cliffs which is always nice.   A good turnout as ever.   :-)

Airtime '09 - 121hrs

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Secretary
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2009, 21:51:54 PM »
Rhossili

Gave the club tandem an airing today.  Nice conditions for my three passengers although we could've done with a bit more sunshine.  The wind picked up from the northwest towards evening so on the last ride, I opted for a neat beach landing.
Good to see a few midweek fliers out also.  September could be  turning into the best month of the year in terms of flyable days!  :-D

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Secretary
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2009, 22:30:28 PM »
Rhossili

Left work in the drizzle and drove down in hope rather than expectation. Out on the Gower Peninsula - a different world emerged!  On approach to the village, I could see people flying and the sun was out !

I launched at 17:00 and joined Tina, Rob,Nasher and a visiting pilot from London.  The wind was quite light but there were some weak thermic bubbles coming through to give reasonable height gains.  We flew almost till sundown and then went for a pint in the Worms Head and watched the sunset .........Cheers!   8-)

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Secretary
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2009, 23:25:40 PM »
Fan G -  Drove up with Nasher at around midday.  There was rather a lot of cloud and not much wind but upon arrival, the sky opened up nicely. However, there was a distinct lack of wind which made for a leisurely lunch and an extended period of parawaiting.  Pilots turned up in dribs and drabs and we had all stood around looking at the sky and talking parabollocks.  The hillside was bone dry thanks to our 12 day drought!

There was some light scratching around to be had after 16:00 and then lo and behold at about 17:00 : just when we thought it was all over - the wind suddenly switched on and triggered some nice thermals!  I made it to cloudbase at 4300' a.m.s.l. and did a small triangle rejoining the others out in front of the hill.  The lift was very smooth and we wafted around for a good while enjoying the stunning scenery as the sun went down.  Good to see Steve Bain and Simon,  Andy H and Steve J, Chris D, Owen and Rhun.    :-D

Offline Nick Roberts

• SWWSC Secretary
  • Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2009, 21:34:54 PM »
Heol Senni
11/09/09 - Another glorious day but still a little breezy. For a while it was ok with some weak thermals coming through during the late afternoon but strangely it became rather rough into the evening.......

12/09/09 - A blue day and very light conditions but rather enjoyable nonetheless.

13/09/09 -  A sunny sunday and a good turnout on the hill - great to see Phil Neale back out on the hill!  it started off quietly with not much lift but after a while some sporadic cu came through and everyone was up enjoying some good thermals although cloudbase was only 3000' amsl.  By mid afternoon cloudbase was a dizzying 3500' amsl(enough to drift away from the hill methinks!).   I stayed with my cloud for as long as possible then made a dash to a cloud above Fan G but said cloud faded away upon arrival so I booted it through a sinky glide to the lower end of the mighty Fan Hir ridge and soared all the way up past Llyn y Fan Fach.  I flew around for a while soaking up the scenery but increasing cloud cover and increasing wind prompted me to leave while the going was good.  Cloudbase was still not  high enough to get clear away from the hills and after some mincing around, I was looking at a landing spot near the Ancient Briton.  A 3hour flight with 23km covered - hardly record breaking stuff but the best flight I've had since the middle of June!   :-D