Author Topic: Chris Dusgate's flying diary  (Read 9877 times)

Offline Chris Dusgate

• Website member
  • +/-
  • Airtime: 500 Hours +
  • Glider Type: Paraglider
  • Pilot Rating: Advanced Pilot
Re: Chris Dusgate's flying diary
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2006, 18:35:07 PM »
4 October, Letty Siac

Took off at 12.15 and hooked thermal with Neil straight away. took us to 1500 ft ato.Streets down wind looked great but by the time we got there not so great, Seemed to get a thermal off the new wind farm (300ft above turbines !!!, allbeit to the side slightly. got to cloudbase once, it was 3300feet asl. The terrain over the valleys made things tricky with many of the hills being 1500-2000ft high. After a jostle with a lee sider went on a bumpy glide and landed (crashed) just the other side of Treorchy. I had a frontal as I was trying to soar a hill, thankfully only 20ft from the deck at the time and landed on bracken/boggy ground.

THanks to Steve J for the lift up the hill and well done to Neil for doing approx 18k . My flight worked out at 25.3k with turnpoints and 24k straight line.

Offline Chris Dusgate

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2006, 21:23:17 PM »
26 September

Went to Merthyr with Steve J.

Took off just before midday, lots of lift but broken. The nice looking cloud streets didn't want to seem to line up with Merthyr. Eventually went over the back just before 1pm with Steve, hangie and an Omega 6. Steve had found the thermal initially and the Omega 6 and I couldn't get up beyond 1300ft ato some 300ft below Steve. Worked some weak lift near Foch Rhiw whilst the others pushed on. Went to join them only to go down just below them as they worked a low save thermal with which they drifted over into the next valley with. A grand total of 7.3 k to land just SE of Abbertyssg (Spelling ?). In hindsight shouldn't have gone over the back at that time as the sky was too blue behind, got suckered by the best of thermal of the day so far. I guess impatience got the better of me.

Still I guess I was due a bomb, what was it Kipling said about facing success and failure equally (or something).

Well done to Steve for getting back up and to Nick who has done 60k, I didn't think the day was that good (hmm).

Offline Chris Dusgate

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2006, 10:05:03 AM »
10 September,

what a gem of a day, words are not enough but i'll try!

Went to Bryn Caws for mid day to find John Nash and Humphry there. Steve J,Steve B and Tom also turned up later. Had a nice bit of flying for 90mins in total before it went to far off to the south. Max ato  = 1300 feet with SJ, we nearly went XC.

After a chat Steve Jones and I decided to give Cwmafan a go, quote from me "we won't be going Xc  so there's no need to share a car up the hill" !!!.In my defence I'd say that at this time the sky was blue. Launched at 3pm at Cwmafan into a fair breeze. After a brief examination of the gorse/bracken re -launched at 3.30pm and pushed out to get height in order to work the thermals. Sky now looked a lot better with two cloud streets heading North, must have been some form of convergence cloud. Went over the back at approx 2500feet asl. followed the clouds and found a wek climb over Neath. with good drift this took me just north of Pontardawe. The air was buoyant with weak climbs. I used my GPS to maximise ground speed on glides as that seems to be the way to ensure you stay in convergence. Passed over Rhiwen at 4000ft (max for the day) and after some more patient working of o.5 m/s lift went on a lovely final buoyant glide for 15k to land 4k NW of Llandovery.

The retrieve was almost as good as the flight. Lift from friendly farmer in whose field I landed on his quad bike back to his farm then a lift from him and his daughter who had a drving test the next day into Llandovery. From Llandovery I got a lift after 2 mins of hitching to Sennybridge. Hitched there for 5 mins until a familiar white VW polo appeared. Nick returning from the Homegrown festival gave me a lift all the way back to the hill, informing me that my flight of 45.7k straight line had broken his site record !!. With the turnpoints the flight scored 48.8k (please enter Steve, ta). Retrieve time from landing to my car = 1hr 50 mins  = flight time, what a result. A great day the only mistake I made was not to buy a lottery ticket on the way home to fully capitalise on my good luck! Thanks to Steve Jones for offering to come and get me if I got stuck.

Offline Chris Dusgate

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2006, 11:12:13 AM »
7 September
Heol Senni

Arrived 12.30 ish

Steve P and I then waited a bit as seemd quite strong and off to N too much (NNW?) Took off about 2pm with Steve who went over the back to fly to Gowerton for 40something k. I landed 2.30pm as was just gale hanging and wind too off to N. Took off again 3pm with SJ,TG and GJ, still off to N at times but less so and slightly less wind. Eventually went over the back at 4.30pm (inspired by Gareth's 5pm special of July !!). Managed to fumble down to Pontardawe, air was quite buoyant over the hills either sider of the Swansea valley but I made the mistake crossing the valley to get to the RHS (tempted by Alt-y-Graig), alot of sink when crossing. In hindsight given the good tail wind and the buoyant air I'd have been better off staying on the LHs and gliding on, would probably have made Neath. Nice flight tho' for 27k straight line, 32.4k with the turnpoints.

Offline Chris Dusgate

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 19:00:09 PM »
22 August

Spending a week in the Peak District at my parents, usually a guarantee of poor weather. Flew Bradwell today (max 1600 ft ato), along with about 10 others went Xc but the furthest of us did only about 7k to Stanage edge..  friendly lot the derbyshire pilots and got a lift back to the hill for 3.15pm, decided to call it a day then only for the sky to improve as I drove home, hope i haven't blown it by not flying again.

Offline Chris Dusgate

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 20:22:40 PM »
14 August

After a hard morning at the PC went to Graig Fawr for 3pm. Others were at Rhiw Wen but I thought there'd be enough west in the wind for me not to have to drive that far to fly. Wind was on the hill (NW) but seemed a bit light, waited a bit and it seemed to increase slightly, therefore took off and went straight up to 2,000 feet (1200 feet ato). I think I was in a bit of convergence or something. Down at Pontardulais the wind on the ground was NNW so I discounted sea breeeze convergence (rightly or wrongly).  Flew for an hour (could see someone in the air at SW end of Rhiw Wen ridge) in which time the wind picked up further and veered a touch and the cloud moved inland (now less lift in the blue) ! Landed due to lack of penetration. Worth going out for just (but only because of the crap forecast for the week).

Offline Chris Dusgate

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 22:22:03 PM »
8 August

Went to Fan  G, decided from layby likely to be too windy, therefore went to Merthyr. Good conditions here, got up and away quickly. Slow drift to start with, great low save just beyond Pontypool then onto flat lands, 3 hr flight for 64k (67.6 with the turnpoints), a PB. Weatherjack gave it a 5, hmmmm think I'll take note of Weatherjack !!!, well done Neil Parry who flew even further.

Offline Chris Dusgate

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 22:46:35 PM »
27 July

Fan G with Tom,

Wind seemed SW on hill but once up  = W, hoofing first climb (up to 5.5m/s, cb = 5200ft), best low save yet the other side of Brecon enabled me to connect with Black mountains and thermal off Lord H's knob enabled me to reach 53k, conditions were such that if I hadn't been distracted by the airpsace so  much I might have flown further, still I know now what too look for  (fly over satelite station). My best distance for 4 years !!. Tom did 9k, a PB. Weatherjack gave it a 2 !!!!, think I'll ignore WJ from now on.

Offline Chris Dusgate

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 20:50:12 PM »
Pandy

With SJ, GD & IJ. nice conditions, tricky at takeoff but thermals good once got a bit of height. Nearly did an FIA triangle (into wind leg was 5.25 but pushed too hard into wind and landed at the base of the hill when coming back to hill so wasn't able to fly back up the ridge to complete the triangle *). In hindsight let down because need to plan triangles/mark turnpoint, I had no way of knowing when I'd done 5k into wind, as it was guess was about right but it would have been nice to turn at 5k rather than 5.25k (might have made it back then(excuses excuses). Great fun tho, 3.5k in front of takeoff at 4,000feet  with Gareth, so this is flatland flying!

Offline Chris Dusgate

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 19:59:29 PM »
13 July

Went to Heol Senni, lots were there. Wind off to the North but nice and thermic. After a couple of nice flights relaunched at 2.30 straight into a thermal which took me up to 1600ft ato, glided back and got a new thermal, drifted with this to 2150 ft ato (thought Dan Ashworth was coming with me at one point), worked the last dregs of lift from this thermal but given good  drift (and my patient flying for once!) found myself SE of Fan G bowl, therefore committed to the boonies (under a blue sky (urgh)), didn't get a blip and bombed, thankfully the good drift meant that I landed not too far short of Banwen for 11k. After a 40 mins walk and 30 mins wait got a great lift back all the way back to the hill. Driving home considered Weatherjack rating of 4 a bit high  (I hadn't seen anyone go overhead), until got to Pontardawe at 6.15pm to see a blue Sigma 6 circling at approx 1500ft asl, nice one Gareth or Ivor.

Offline Chris Dusgate

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 20:48:37 PM »
29 June

Talybont (weatherjack 4 day)

Walked up to far side, fairly windy on top. Steve P and others also there. Strong thermals, got up and away quickly, drifted over back at 4,000ft (not as high as everyone else!) CB = 4,500ft. All regrouped about 6k over the back as some were down  to 2,000ft. Eight pilots formed the gaggle. next thermal took all to CB at 4,500ft, I left it last  (having got there last). Directly downwind was a bit of a blue hole. The gaggle edged right of it but little lift to be had and most landed at 20k, I arrived with the most height but still managed to be among those landing including Steve P,  and Steve Walsh from Mid Wales. Three went further, Piers from Mid Wales did 35K , not sure about the other two. We then watched the blue hole fill in and the sky look even better. Much fun to be had winding Steve P up saying Nick would fly a  long way AND lo and behold blue Omega seen passing over at great height at 3.45pm.

In hindsight we should perhaps have held back waiting for the sky to improve, but then it did seem that we would be able to skirt  around the blue hole which wasn't massive.

Offline Chris Dusgate

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 20:54:16 PM »
23 June

Nant-y-moel

Nice three hours of flying. cloudbase only 3,300 -3,500. Thermals best 11-12am, after lunch break seemed more broken (sea breeze/increase in wind ?) got very close to base 3 times. Thermal strength up to 4 m/s. Penetration up high very good prior to 12am (2k in front of takeoff). Surprised Brit Champs didn't come here. Didn't go XC, sky downwind didn't look great (blue hole over the back most of the time)/ lethargy to blame.

Update:

Text from Nick, Brit champs went to Merthyr, here base was 4,200 (higher inland), they had 20 in goal for a 33k task, hmmm the sky got better inland, perhaps we should have been braver and gone XC with what we had.

Offline Chris Dusgate

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 22:06:25 PM »
17 June

After convincing myself and Jon M that it wouldn't be on at Rhossili, went to Fan G, got to SW takeoff at 2.45 pm to find it too strong, it then dropped , but went off to the South!! launched at 4.30, rough thermals (sea breeze?), wind too off to South. Jon & I slope landed after 10 mins, time for a rethink, took off again at 6pm  by which time smoother and had nice 1hr flight, still slightly off to south, thermals were drifting round the hill left to right, max 500ft ato.

got home to be told by son "there were lots flying at Rhossili Dad "!!!  --sorry Jon

Offline Chris Dusgate

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 09:46:14 AM »
14 June 2006

Seen at Heol Senni yesterday, red Sigma 6 (thermalling mainly left !), looks like I'm finally back in the saddle.

Great to see some friends who's company I've missed,

Offline Chris Dusgate

• Website member
  • +/-
Chris Dusgate's flying diary
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 09:22:06 AM »
Spent a week in Morocco at start of November. A nice season extending chill out trip as long as you don't mind passive inhalation of hashish. Flyable all 7 days (sorry can't beat 8 days ina week H). Based at casbah at takeoff with smooth concrete takeoff. Site was Rhossili x 1.5 size. Beach 2km away hence thermic,2-3m/s,nice size. Cloudbase = 200 -1000ft ato (800ft asl). Moist Atlantic air condenses quickly on hitting mainland Africa. flew 6 of 7 days, one wasted due to trip inland to look at sites. Local "guide" crap and managed to burn himself opening hot radiator cap, etc etc, u get the picture. However flying at coastal site was good fun and good thermalling practice, quite a bit of cloud flying.