Author Topic: Viv's Blog  (Read 17059 times)

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
  • Airtime: 100-500 Hours
  • Glider Type: Paraglider
  • Make of glider: Gin Atlas X-Alps
  • Pilot Rating: Pilot
Re: Viv's Blog
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2011, 12:25:30 PM »
So far this year, 56 flights, 34 hrs airtime, tandems with a hang-glider (Dave Tregaskis), competition wing (Brett Janaway) and the new club wing (Nick Roberts).
I may as well try to catch the wind - Donovan

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2011, 00:43:14 AM »
6th Nov. Heol Senni. It's a clear blue day, the quarry birds are staying close to home, we arrive in time for the hottest part of the day, the sun on a low track round the sky. After minimal groundhandling there is a gust to take me off the hill and enjoy 45 mins of boating about both high and low with 10 up until the cold penetrates the gloves and I land nicely for a cuppa, the grass hasn't dried today after the frost. The wing looks cleaner after a wipe in the dew. She's flopped over the banisters indoors at 18 degrees. Para-paradise! One little tuck over the quarry makes me squeal but a pump fluffs it out. I experiment with control handle levels. A most pleasant time had by all.

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2011, 14:13:43 PM »
16th Oct. Rhosili. A practice inflation, nice launch from pimple into a sky party, I keep away from NB's students and mostly stay up the campsite end, the breeze is stiff enough for the hangies to launch, I go to land for a warm up after only 40 mins. Approaching up the gully I get hoofed up and try for a top landing rather than the bomb out field which today is full of sheep. I am behind the track and the rotor dumps me in the gorse, wing reinflates and I try to fly out but thank goodness for the plastic overtrousers which save me from a severe pricking. Detangling lines takes a while and the students pack up, the wind has gone southerly and lighter, then I execute a go'n'touch off what is now the leeside of the pimple. I console myself with tea and chocolate, and enjoy the sunset in the carpark.

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2011, 10:44:46 AM »
15th Oct. Cwm Afan. Parawait while a clique of pilots forms, and a cloudstreet shows the way to Bryncaws. Eventually the wind comes round enough to launch after 4. It's a long slow climb over the trees, reaching mast height, higher is smoother today, we all waft around in a bit of afternoon delight, spreading out to all corners of the site, Nick is gone like a fox in a coop, chasing the clouds away. I struggle to keep up as the sun is weak now, and land nicely in the poo-free lushness. A good 30 mins. This car sharing is good.

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2011, 21:54:42 PM »
1st Oct. Bryncaws. Wind off a bit, and light. Groundhandle for a while, 3 little flights, a slope land by the gate, lucky retrieve on the walk back up, a hot day, a busy liftband with 13 up. 30 mins. Today I don't get as far as the trees, only briefly at mast height later, mostly scratching and avoiding others.

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2011, 00:00:29 AM »
29th Sept. Cwm Afan. Arrive in time for the lunchtime rush, lovely lush grass for plenty of groundhandling, great thermals for climbing the highest ever here, the newly logged groove out front a reliable source, the sun reflecting off the sea all the way to England, I look at Bryncaws speculatively, one day I will fly away, today I admire the views all around, land for rehydration accurately if not always graceful, Phil thinks I'm showing off doing acro, his maiden flight here. Gerry, Steve W and Nick have great flying too. 4 flights, over 2 hrs. It really turned out nice, my best flight here yet.

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2011, 20:46:19 PM »
27th Sept. Bryncaws. A challenging day in brisk and variable wind. Wattsy and Stu have impressive groundhandling skills, Daf has a frontal collapse on his Gin Zulu, Nick is far and wide, Nasher has a boat about and I manage to launch and sink towards the huge dungheap on the edge of the track, climb out and beat along to the logged end, still looks a bit stumpy, not for landing, sink round the shoulder and creep back into wind, get as high as the mast but not very forward, land where I intend and fail to collapse promptly, only a small drag as I am on the risers quickly.  15 mins. 

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2011, 00:13:38 AM »
26th Sept. Nant-y-Moel. Wind light on arrival at midday, try a bit of halfhearted groundhandling, eventually lob off when I find a gap in the tight liftband, see the Joint Services toiling up the slope and scratch in for a top landing at the far end. Kite about for a bit, waiting for the sun to peep through, 'til one brake handle detaches and Nick kindly delays his launch to knot it. It rains briefly, the gliders dry during teabreak, I leave the rucksack earthbound and manage to follow Nick to the end of the rocky outcrop behind the trees, a few beats and topland by the sock, find a gap and go again, topland in the bowl, then pack up as the rain approaches. 3 flights, 10 minutes airtime.

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2011, 10:07:32 AM »
1st Sept. Bryncaws. Arrive teatime to see several up, a practice inflation to find it stiff enough, and launch as the school is packing up. A short test flight and clumsy landing, manage to avoid the cars. Go again and scratch back and fore, round the bowl and across the bare patch where the trees have been logged. Gain nice height but don't penetrate further than the track below. The sock goes round and the canopy rustles, I top land, then carry on as it's such a nice evening, then land on the shelf in a lull. It's too hot to groundhandle in plastic trousers, kite up off the shelf for a slope launch and scratch a bit more, my cells seem not fully rammed with air, I wonder whether ditching the rucksack will help me stay aloft, i don't fancy a bottom landing, so do a nice topland, and find it's gone too light to go again. 3 flights, 30 mins airtime.

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2011, 22:00:15 PM »
19th Aug. Nant y Moel. An earlier than usual start has us on the hill just after Ginge's lot. Slot in between and manage a short boat about in the quite narrow liftband, they mostly bottom or slope land as the clouds shut off lift, a nice top landing for me. The next short flight is out across the valley, the sun peeps out and we get a bit more height to play in, topland again when it gets too spicy for me. A bit of groundhandling/detangling, teabreak and another go before the wind picks up, the sock is showing the wind has changed direction, so land beautifully amid giggles by the car. Just in time, a student has a good 50ft drag just nearby. Rush off on retrieve and leave the radio in Jen's van, enjoy a nice drive round the valleys. The satnav can be a bit of a nag. 30 mins airtime.

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2011, 09:51:43 AM »
5th August. Rhosili. Light wind on the pimple, the liftband widening as the afternoon progresses, a busy day with one hangie, a model aircraft at the campsite end of the beach, light aircraft cruising at our level, a helicopter in the carpark, Paraventure with students, a good club turnout. It usually gets too strong midafternoon to pimple land, but today is almost perfect, 3 nice launches, one nice recovery, all pimple landings, just a touch of speedbar to get near enough. The heather is just starting to show colour, horses enjoying the fresh ferns, each flight has something else to see. 4 hrs. Must bring the secateurs.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 09:56:27 AM by Viv »

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2011, 15:30:03 PM »
26th July. Fan G. The nicest looking sky for a while, I parawait in harness for the one that will keep me up, a nice launch, enjoy a 10 minute bobble around, and topland beautifully by the cairn. I seem to have lost a reserve bag attachment strap, but it wasn't me who pulled it today. The breeze is too light to risk a bottom landing, so I drive to the coast for an icecream, and Nick after another epic flight.

Offline Barry Abbott

• Sub 20m Liaison
  • Website member
  • +/-
  • Mobile 07791668846
  • Make of glider: Gin Carrera & Ozone Rapido 10M
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2011, 09:41:26 AM »
I went back up viv, couldn't resist :-)

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2011, 22:05:12 PM »
14th July. Rhosili. Pimple launch in wind as forecast, Paraventure are doing nicely, quite a busy afternoon with 18 or more up, a Tornado? slices through the air to Pembrey, then a helicopter, later the wind freshens and a hangie launches, so I make several passes at t/o, speedbar, swingovers, and still climb! Eventually I get blown back over the burnt gorsefield, which doesn't look very nice, manage to land in a clear bit, fail to collapse promptly enough, wing reinflates and flips me like a pancake into the fresh growth. Luckily wearing full face helmet, plus buff and shades today. No apparent damage. I stagger with my donut to t/o and as I pass the gully the wind funnelling through inflates enough cells to give me a wrestling match. Roger obligingly drags her behind some bushes for a fold, and by the time we get to the pub the conditions have smoothed out for some late fliers. 2 hrs.

Offline Vivien Biro

• Website member
  • +/-
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2011, 21:58:42 PM »
1st July. Rhosili. Pimple launch lunchtime, a good flight and nice beach landing.  Walk up with Dee and find Nick with tandem wanting to wear her in a bit. 2 nice flights and very enlightening, he is a great pilot and we fly til the breeze has us scratching, pimple land nicely, and pub. 2 hours, maybe more.