01/09/2017 - Seven Sisters
Arrived on launch at midday. The wind seemed ok so I took off to test the air for Ben and Glyn who were not "current". Conditions were a bit "choppy" at times and the cloud formations were a bit messy but I could soar along the full length of the site maintaining a good deal of height and did manage one climb to 3500' amsl. I returned to the launch area after a 45 minute flight to report back on conditions and found it far from easy to get down(aah- wind picking up)! I had hoped that the wind would settle down a bit as it backed from NNW to NW but it quickly increased to well beyond my comfort zone :o . We sat it out until 17:00 before throwing in the towel just as Dave Stein was arriving(thanks to Dave for the lift back down the hill).
A bit of flying followed by a good dollop of "parawaiting". It was quite comfy bedded down in the long grass but I was getting a bit cold as the sun lowered........ ;D
09-19-2017, 06:23 PM
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2017, 06:24 PM by Nick Roberts.)
18/09/2017 - Nant y Moel
Arrived just before midday to find the wind light and a little off to the west just as forecast. We were in the sun but cloud was starting to spread out behind the hill. I was in no hurry to launch but in the time it took me to eat my sandwiches, the wind had picked up to a rather brisk southwesterly. Despite climbing up to 2000' a.t.o. more or less straightaway, the thermals felt distinctly lumpy and with not much sun on the ground behind, I decided to cruise around for a while to see if conditions improved. I soon found forward progress difficult in an increasing wind and decided to land back on top after an hour in the air.
The wind showed no sign of abating and with a black mass of cloud heading our way from upwind, we all decided to pack up.
Only seven pilots on the hill - Viv, Steve J and me from SWW, Cameron and Stuart from SEW and a couple of visitors from Avon .
A flight yes......but not the nicest of airtime :o